Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
230 Posts
My 2016 Versa does not have a temperature gauge. I had thought about adding one.
Initially, I thought about utilizing a "ScanGauge" type of monitor. It plugs into the OBD2 port and displays information (including water temp), but I don't like the idea of having something plugged into the OBD2 port full time.
There is a kit that allows you to install a probe into the upper radiator hose. Then you run a wire to an aftermarket gauge. It looks something like this. I still want to add this setup to my car, but I got side tracked with other projects.
Camera accessory Liquid Material property Cameras & optics Gas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you about not wanting the OBD2 connector plugged in, just want a single coolant temperature (analog) gauge. Have a 2023 Versa on order (no production date schedule from Nissan yet). Contacted the Nisssan dealer and they confirmed that the new Versa (5 spd) does not have the gauge (dumb).

Once I have the Versa I will mostly likely pick up an A pillar gauge mount and determine the best option for installing the coolant sensor (of course within warranty rules).

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you think your car didn't come with a temperature gauge?

Answer: Because it's unnecessary.
Yeah would be kinda like not having a fuel gauge...then when you run out of gas a warning lights comes on telling you "you're out of gas"? I prefer to monitor coolant temp "way before" it becomes a problem out on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so when the steam pours out from under your hood..the MIL will turn on....letting you know steam is pouring out from under your hood:)

I'll stick with a traditional analog gauge to monitor any abnormal coolant temps before any over heating occurs.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
230 Posts
I'll stick with a traditional analog gauge to monitor any abnormal coolant temps before any over heating occurs.
I agree... On my work truck, the Amp gauge started fluctuating and doing weird things, so I knew the alternator was on its way out. This gave me the time to order a new alternator and have it in stock.
When the "warning light" finally did come on, I was already prepared and ready to change it out. No down time.
OK so when the steam pours out from under your hood..the MIL will turn on....letting you know steam is pouring out from under your hood:)
As far as an engine running hot, you can take action if you start to see the temperature rising... turn off the A/C, turn on the heater, check the coolant level, etc. By taking some proactive actions, you can avoid cooking the head gasket and still make it home... so you are not stuck on the side of the road with steam pouring out from under the hood.
Add me to the list that likes gauges where I can keep an eye on the health of the engine while I drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts