Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 Versa thinks its not in park?

Hello! I drive an automatic 2010 Nissan Versa.
My versa started having an issue where it will not turn over but radio/all lights would come on. I figured out that if I jam upwards and hold the shifter upwards and to the left above park while turning the key, it will turn over. But takes several tries.
I took it to a mechanic, and they said the whole assembly needs to be replaced but they seemed a bit fishy.
I was wondering if anyone here had this issue or may know what it might be, or if its really the whole assembly. I was told that this wasn't covered under my own private warranty so I feel a bit miffed and am looking for answers.

Thank you!

If this should be deleted or moved let me know!

-c

·
Registered
939 Posts
If true then possibly whatever passes for a neutral safety switch on that one. The shifter commonly somewhere moves that switch to allow starting in park or neutral only to prevent starting car up in gear to drive off. That switch can defect or wear to not start, fumbling with shifter then sometimes lets it work. Sometimes it's on the trans itself where the shifter cable or linkage attaches and sometimes it can be at the shifter.

FYI, the car will start in neutral too, try that, the switch may be still contacting at that point in the range.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Switch is likely on the trans itself. I have a manual for '11 and probably the same trans. The switch is called the transmission range sensor or switch and the same thing as a neutral start or safety switch, just called different. It can be defective or even the shift cable going to it can be out of adjustment to make the same effect. Need to get the shop to first try adjusting the cable.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
+1 on the neutral or park position. I did tech support for the buses and when that call came over the radio that bus number wont start I first ask them to try park, then try neutral. Either one or the other made the bus crank up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing