Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have noticed that the Nissan Juke 1.6 uses the exact same engine, the HR16DE.
But there is a Kw Diffrence between the 2.
Versa/Tiida = 80kw
Juke = 88kw

does anyone Know where the 8kw diffrence comes in?
Is it Software, where the Versa/Tiida has been Detuned a bit?

I know here by us, the NP300 2.5td has the exact same engine as the Navara/PathFinder 2.5Td But has been Detuned by Software.

Could this be the case with this as well?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Most likely there are a few different parts. Possibly a larger throttle-body and intake piping and a free flowing exhaust manifold and exhaust. I bet most is in the tuning though.

There are several versions of the HR16DE. There was the basic one which I think came in the lavina years ago. The most this one made was 80kw. Then there was the CVTC engine with single injectors. Which is what came in the tiida/versa up until a couple of years ago. Most I have seen this one listed as is 88kw. The most current version is a dual injector and twin CVTC. This is what is all the cars now. The most I have seen this engine make is 93kw on the sylphy.

80kw = 107hp
88kw = 118hp (see it listed as 116hp usually, not sure how they convert)
93kw = 124hp

Seems the engines that come in the tiida and Versa are detuned one way or another. Due to emissions, mpgs, quality of gas in the country, or Nissan didn't want to step on the toes of the model above it.

I have posted a pic of the 93kw version before on here. It looks like a larger throttle body and totally different intake setup. I have also looked into companies in various countries who have tuned the hr16de and just by changing the software were able to pull quite a few kw out of the engine.

Here are some links, I have no clue how legitimate these companies are.
individual chiptuning (D) on dyno - NISSAN 1.6 16V 110hp/153Nm HR16DE - HITACHI

Vehicledatabase - Vehicles - Adiva, Aprilia, BMW, Derbi, Ducati, Gilera, Kawasaki, Ktm, Malaguti, Moto-Guzzi, Moto-Morini, Mv-Agusta, Piaggio, Polaris, Suzuki, Triumph, Iveco, Johnson, Kawasaki, Mercury, Sea-Doo, Volvo-Penta, Penta, Volvo, Yamaha, Ya

I honestly believe that those with the newer HR16 can add the usual intake, exhaust, and header then have a tune and should pull pretty good numbers. I would bet close to putting down almost 120bhp on a dyno. I have seen some HR's dynoed in malaysia with bolt ons making 11x hp.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
also just found out the compression ratio is higher on some HR16DE's. Seems the juke is 10.7:1 while the engine that comes in the Versa (US) is 9.8:1.

·
Registered
637 Posts
also just found out the compression ratio is higher on some HR16DE's. Seems the juke is 10.7:1 while the engine that comes in the Versa (US) is 9.8:1.
I agree with you Rob which begs the question...if the engines are all the same version of the hr16de now, would it be possible with just the right tune to raise the specs of the US version of this motor to be equal with the rest of the world

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
bore and stroke are listed as the same. So maybe the difference is just head gasket thickness. But I'm just going by online literature so who knows how accurate it is. I try to get the info right from nissan sites as opposed to something like wiki.

They are all probably slightly different with the tune and with emissions related parts. But on the new dual injector CVTC engines I don't think it would be difficult to get it up to 93kw.

Here is a dyno from a 1.6 latio. This is with header, intake and exhaust and no tune vs one with just an intake. 11 wheel hp gain for exhaust and header.

let me know if you can't see the pic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, it Should come down to Tune, and intake that makes the diffrence.
I had a Look at the newly released Nissan Sentra in our country (to be honest, it looks like the 2014 versa) . it has the Exact spec of the Tiida, but Kw is higher.

Nissan Sentra Spec :

Engine Layout transverse inline 4
Cylinders 4
Aspiration natural
Valves dohc, 4 valves per cylinder, variable timing control
Bore / Stroke 78.0x83.6
Capacity 1598
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Ignition Type
Gearbox Details 5-speed manual
Hybrid / Clutchless no
Number of Gears 5
Manual / Automatic manual
Power Output [email protected]
Torque [email protected]

Nissan Tiida Spec :

Engine Layout transverse inline 4
Cylinders 4
Aspiration natural
Valves dohc 4 valves per cylinder
Bore / Stroke 78.0x83.6
Capacity 1598
Compression Ratio 9.8:1
Ignition Type electronic
Gearbox Details 5-speed manual
Hybrid / Clutchless no
Number of Gears 5
Manual / Automatic manual
Power Output [email protected]
Torque [email protected]

The comparion on the Juke looks the same. with 2kw more than the sentra.

So if you want to have the same HP/Kw and Nm as a Juke or Sentra, you need to have it's Ecu retuned. and theoretically you would be able to have the same preformance figures?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
seems they even have the same compression ratio in your country. Check and see if they use the same intake and exhaust manifold. If those are the same then I can only assume it's in the tune.

Unless one of the engines is the older single injector style with the single CVTC while the other is the dual injector twin CVTC.

·
Registered
637 Posts
bore and stroke are listed as the same. So maybe the difference is just head gasket thickness. But I'm just going by online literature so who knows how accurate it is. I try to get the info right from nissan sites as opposed to something like wiki.

They are all probably slightly different with the tune and with emissions related parts. But on the new dual injector CVTC engines I don't think it would be difficult to get it up to 93kw.

Here is a dyno from a 1.6 latio. This is with header, intake and exhaust and no tune vs one with just an intake. 11 wheel hp gain for exhaust and header.

let me know if you can't see the pic.
interesting, so is this dyno from an older generation hr16 and not the new dual injector CVTC design?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
yes that is the single injector HR. Can't really go by just the peak number because every dyno is different really. But what is nice is the increase over the previous run. I wish there was a totally stock dyno to compare though. I'm betting the dyno was probably mid 90's. So guessing at 95whp then up to 112whp after mods. Increase of 17whp isn't too bad. I bet another 10whp is feasible with tuning after those parts are installed too. If not more. So just making an educated guess, full bolt ons and a tune would add almost 30whp. Which is huge if you ask me. A 33% increase in power would make these light cars feel quite peppy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
yes that is the single injector HR. Can't really go by just the peak number because every dyno is different really. But what is nice is the increase over the previous run. I wish there was a totally stock dyno to compare though. I'm betting the dyno was probably mid 90's. So guessing at 95whp then up to 112whp after mods. Increase of 17whp isn't too bad. I bet another 10whp is feasible with tuning after those parts are installed too. If not more. So just making an educated guess, full bolt ons and a tune would add almost 30whp. Which is huge if you ask me. A 33% increase in power would make these light cars feel quite peppy.
hmm, that makes me really wonder now with the dual injector CVTC design, how much of a hp gain could really be had since in essence the newer design should be even more tune-able

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
seems they even have the same compression ratio in your country. Check and see if they use the same intake and exhaust manifold. If those are the same then I can only assume it's in the tune.

Unless one of the engines is the older single injector style with the single CVTC while the other is the dual injector twin CVTC.
I was Lucky enough to have a guy at work Open his Bonnet for me, of his Juke.
And guess what.. It has the Same Intake and Exaust manifold. it is a Direct transplant, thus I would also be able to fit the 6 speed Gearbox to mine, with no hastle at all.
Just need to have it Retuned then. hehe I wonder if Nissan Would be so kind :p

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I didn't think the HR16de in the juke had a 6spd. I thought they came with the 5spd? If you would be so kind to get the code from the transmission I would appreciate it. Usually it's on the vin plate. Nissan used to put them on the firewall, not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a Nissan meet This weekend, hopefully there will be one or 2 Jukes. then I can ask them.
*That is if my car is back from the Body repair shop, a Electric gate had a small run in with my car*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.