Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi guys i bought a 2016 versa sedan, it feels unstable on freeways. When you are driving at highway speeds at 65mph or above the Versa shifts left or right as if being hit by a wind which is not there.
My 15' note flops around aswell.. alot was cut down with front strut bar and under brace. Hoping my BC Coilovers i just got when i install will take the rest of the boat feel away.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi guys i bought a 2016 versa sedan, it feels unstable on freeways. When you are driving at highway speeds at 65mph or above the Versa shifts left or right as if being hit by a wind which is not there.
Pretty common in small cars. My 2011 Honda Fit Sport and 1996 Honda Accord drifted at highway speeds and my 2015 Note S did it also. Some times the tire tread and type of road surface causes this also. The stock tires are pretty skinny IMO. Like Crafthell stated once I added wider tires, better front shocks, top strut bar and lower bar it got better. You really can't make a small car bigger but there are ways to improve the way it behaves at highway speeds. I also think the added spoiler helps but it could just be the combo I'm running currently. Q

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speaking of adding wider tires, how wide can we go with the stock wheels? (2015 Versa Sedan SV)

And does anyone know what those stupid-looking "mud flap things" are underneath in front of the back tires on the sedan? Some guy on YouTube said they were to stabilize the car at high speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty common in small cars. My 2011 Honda Fit Sport and 1996 Honda Accord drifted at highway speeds and my 2015 Note S did it also. Some times the tire tread and type of road surface causes this also. The stock tires are pretty skinny IMO. Like Crafthell stated once I added wider tires, better front shocks, top strut bar and lower bar it got better. You really can't make a small car bigger but there are ways to improve the way it behaves at highway speeds. I also think the added spoiler helps but it could just be the combo I'm running currently. Q
Mine is versa sedan 2016

·
Registered
37 Posts
Perfectly normal for a 2500lb vehicle. A good wind gust is scary at 80 or so but keep a grip on the wheel, no big deal. This is the most stable small vehicle I have ever owned and I go thru several others regularly

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I agree with CraftHell. I have a 2010 sedan and it used do that alot. I got wider tires and helped. Not a huge difference but its more stable. The biggest difference was lowering it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with CraftHell. I have a 2010 sedan and it used do that alot. I got wider tires and helped. Not a huge difference but its more stable. The biggest difference was lowering it.
Yea i just got my coilovers installed and the car is completely stable now. Handling wind and cars passing has really improved. I love how our steering racks will tighten up at higher speed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 9 month old 2015 Note was always unstable at highway speeds.

On the advice of a friend, I brought it to the dealership and complained. They did an alignment and that fixed it.

The front two wheels were fine, but apparently the rear two wheels were significantly out of alignment. No accidents at all, and as far as I can remember, I've never even driven over any pot holes. I was surprised that the rear wheels would be so far off spec.

It's still a small car with a relatively tall profile so it does catch the wind, but it's much more stable now, comparable to other small cars I've driven.

The alignment was covered under warranty, but apparently you have to complain or they'll try and charge you for it... Nissan policy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
..... And does anyone know what those stupid-looking "mud flap things" are underneath in front of the back tires on the sedan? Some guy on YouTube said they were to stabilize the car at high speed.
Those stupid looking things are aerodynamic trim pieces to get the best CDA (drag coefficient) needed to maximize fuel economy. It deflects the air away from the wheel opening to reduce the air turbulence around the rear wheels which results in better FE. The Note also has them so do many newer cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just purchased my 2016 Versa sedan on Oct 3. Took it on a road trip and noticed the same thing. Car actually felt dangerous at highway speeds. I might look into the 4 wheel alignment and see if it helps. I rented a 2016 Altima a few months ago and noticed it did the same thing at highway speeds. When passing a semi it felt like the truck was sucking the car right into it. Very unnerving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased my 2016 Versa sedan on Oct 3. Took it on a road trip and noticed the same thing. Car actually felt dangerous at highway speeds. I might look into the 4 wheel alignment and see if it helps. I rented a 2016 Altima a few months ago and noticed it did the same thing at highway speeds. When passing a semi it felt like the truck was sucking the car right into it. Very unnerving.
I figured a new Altima would be stable on the road but I guess not. Anyway, a couple weeks ago I ordered 4, 16 inch wheels from Amazon. 16 inch Pacer black steel wheels. It will probably be next spring before I buy tires for them and put them on. I'd like to go with 205-50-16s to improve stability.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The alignment at my dealership fixed it. No need to buy new rims unless you just want new rims... And then you'll have to pay for an alignment.

If the car is still under the manufacturer's warranty, the alignment should be covered.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those stupid looking things are aerodynamic trim pieces to get the best CDA (drag coefficient) needed to maximize fuel economy. It deflects the air away from the wheel opening to reduce the air turbulence around the rear wheels which results in better FE. The Note also has them so do many newer cars.
Interesting. In addition to my 2016 Note, I see this on my 2013 Mustang GT also, not that it helps the gas mileage on that 420 HP car :laugh:. But it does have pretty wide 255/40-Z19 tires so maybe Ford figured it would help.

Did a quick look in a parking lot and don't see this flap on GM or Hondas, but saw it on a BMW and one other car.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Interesting. In addition to my 2016 Note, I see this on my 2013 Mustang GT also, not that it helps the gas mileage on that 420 HP car :laugh:. But it does have pretty wide 255/40-Z19 tires so maybe Ford figured it would help.

Did a quick look in a parking lot and don't see this flap on GM or Hondas, but saw it on a BMW and one other car.
Just like the active grille shutters, front air dams or other aerodynamic devices, these items are installed on a case by case basis depending on their effectiveness on the specific vehicle. Obviously the OEMs will not automatically add the device if it does not show any benefit. Often times decisions to add or leave out these devices depends on its effect on the vehicles' final fuel economy label (say, they need 0.1 MPG to "round up" to the next number).

Going back to the original topic of this thread, I do not have any problem running my Note up to 80 MPH. Its stability at this speed is similar or probably slightly better compared to any other car of similar size.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Guess I need to take mine in and have them check the 4 wheel alignment under warranty. Mine feels unsafe at 70 mph. At 80 mph it's really bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts