Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed cell phone/camera holder on to dashboard of V. Two minute task...
Pry upward centre dash panel gently with flat screwdriver. Pull dash panel toward yourself to remove...no screws!:D
First I located the mount so that I could easily remove camera from holder after install. I prefer to use pilot holes before threading.

Be sure not to screw into reinforcement ribbing under panel.

Done! Test subject [oh please, not another picture:(]

Beautiful Haldimand landscape and video brought to you by the Versa DashCam!

Cell phone holder from wmart $1.99, documenting Life is a Highway:auto:...priceless:woot:

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
very nice! I wonder if you could just hole saw that dash piece and drop that cup in there for a more flush look.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
but its in the center of the dash, if it was off to the side then its a non-issue. regardless if you look at the GPS or any other object that might make your eyes wander, its still a distraction cause you're not paying attention to driving

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried it out on way to work this aft.
It's amazing how carefully you drive during recording:eek:
44 minutes of recording used only 10% of memory.
Gonna crank up the resolution...

·
Registered
114 Posts
You should have gone for one of those holders with suction cups that stick to the windshield glass. I think you would have had the same results, and no need to drill on the trim. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
656 Posts
great to record some autocross :biggrin5:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very nice but.. has anyone bought one of those universal suction mounts? I'm sure they could hold your cell, gps and maybe even a small digital camera. It'd help with recording over bumpy surfaces.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice but.. has anyone bought one of those universal suction mounts? I'm sure they could hold your cell, gps and maybe even a small digital camera. It'd help with recording over bumpy surfaces.
I like the sound of that! Couldn't be too much coin! My phone video quality is also "entry level" so I wouldn't mind the digital camera. Also the phone video records sideways in this mount. I can rotate pictures but not videos on this phone!:( I'd love to see someone's nice install.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
upgrade!

Inherited this ipod nano from my kid!
Much better video and sound quality than my 2MB phone cam! Image stable, and can hear every little noise. Engine actually sounds better recorded than in real life lol! Where did that growl come from?:woot:
I will post a short clip if I capture anything mildly relevant.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you have a digital camera, you can make a mount with a bolt and a couple of nuts. First, check and see if your camera has a threaded hole on the bottom. Lots of cameras have these to mount them on a tripod. First, go to your local hardware store and find a bolt that has the right threads for your camera. Grab a couple nuts for said bolt and a couple washers as well. Drill a hole to put the bolt through, mount it with the nuts and washers, and then screw in your camera. When you take the cam out it'll be just a little bolt sticking out of the dash, and much less distracting. Won't work unless you have a tripod mount on your camera though. I'm going to do this tomorrow and I will do a how-to video on it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Here's how I did my camera mount:

If your camera has a standard tripod mount on the bottom, like mine does, all you need is a 1/4" hex bolt, and a few washers and nuts.

The bolt, washers, and nuts cost me 54 cents at Home Depot

I drilled a hole in the center dash peice just in front of where the knob is for the center vents.

Mount up the bolt and tighten everything down.

Add the camera and you're done!

I'm planning on getting a shorter bolt, cause this one sticks out a little too much.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Alright guys, I tested out the cam today and made a nice little youtube video so everyone can see some of the cool shots I got. Just a little bit of lazy sunday driving ;)

Here's the video:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.