Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new 2016 versa sedan s 5 spd manual. Love it besides wishing I could make it more stable at speeds higher than 55. Going to a 195 60 15 tire from stock 185 65 15 would lower it slightly and give it a wider tread and less sidewall which would help. Tire would be heavier though so maybe going to aftermarket alloy wheels from the steel oem is needed. Thoughts? What else can I do without affecting wheel bearings etc to make it more stable? I had a 2010 accent with 14" wheels and it was fine on highway. It had same size tires as I remember but 14 " not 15" any ideas on how to improve the stability?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The car moves all over the road on windy days. Like you, I am going to try 195 60 15's on my 15 Versa sedan. I have these tires in my possession because they came off my 12 Cube. I may put snow tires on this fall so I probably won't try the larger tire switch until next spring. I wonder if a person could even go to a 55 series tire?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
It's definitely a good way to reduce wandering from winds at high speeds on the highway. I bought wider wheels and tires myself, and it's practically eliminated the wandering, unless it's crazy winds from a storm or something. My car feels much more stable and has more grip all around.

Lowering your car may also help, since there will be less space under your car for wind to get through..good luck to both of you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just put 2 195/60/15's on the front of my 2014 versa sedan 5speed i will be doing the rears once i replace a bent rear wheel. so far its night and day i just put some cheap walmart $39 tires and it is stable up to lets say triple digits. and today was a nice windy day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Odds are the new tires alone make as much difference as the wider does. I've never seen a FWD car that didn't get instantly better and noticeable with a pair of new fronts and I don't wide wheel at all. A bit more toe in can help but it will cost a small amount of mileage. Any toe out at all and the wind hitting straight sideways will make you nuts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alignment

Saw a few people in other threads saying they had poor alignment off the lot. Got it checked and adjusted and made a big difference at highway speeds. My 2016 Versa Note S Manual doesn't wander at highway speeds. A little more wind noise in the cabin than I would have liked but for the price, I'm not going to get picky. I don't expect Lexus levels of quietude. It's good enough. Once I wear out my factory contiprocontacts, I'll probably go to a 195, but won't get a lower profile tire. I like the way the car sits now. But wouldn't mind a little better grip. Even with just 109HP, it still chirps the tires pretty easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Odds are the new tires alone make as much difference as the wider does. I've never seen a FWD car that didn't get instantly better and noticeable with a pair of new fronts and I don't wide wheel at all. A bit more toe in can help but it will cost a small amount of mileage. Any toe out at all and the wind hitting straight sideways will make you nuts.
i guess the odds are in my favor ;) . I'm also a sucker for wide tires my other car has 295's and they still aren't wide enough for me.

i also got a new control arm delivered this morning to replace the bad one i have. after that ill get an alignment and my little beater 5 speed versa will be all good again. except for the fact that it blows out headlight bulbs every 6- 8 months :/

·
Registered
16 Posts
My only complaint is the "nervousness" of the car at highway speeds. Just got a 2016 S and am returning to the dealer for 1st service and an alignment check...sure feels like not enough caster. May spring for 16 x 7 mags soon.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Most cars cannot have caster set any longer, it's hardbuilt into the unibody. Change worn parts only to fix. Camber may not be able to be set either, commonly only toe gets set now.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
when I had my 09 with came with 14" wheels I swapped on some stock nissan alloys and tires that were 195/60/15. It was like night and day. I still moved around a bit on the highway but nothing like when it had the 14's on there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wind Wander

16 Note SV here with 15" wheels.

No problem on the HWY at all but....it will wander all over the road if it is a real windy day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Alan_nc
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing