Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my serpentine belt ('14 Note) is squealing. I took it into the dealership and they said the belt is probably still good for a little while. They also told me it isn't covered under warranty. That didn't seem right, so I told them I'd let it go until my next oil change so I could do some research.

I have the Gold Preferred Plus (or whatever) extended warranty. I'm having trouble finding something that directly addresses the serpentine belt, but it does seem to indicate that belts generally are covered.

So what gives? Is it covered? And if so, why did the dealership lie to me? The guy explicitly mentioned my extended warranty earlier, so it isn't like they didn't know.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Typically stuff made out of rubber isnt covered unless it has its own warranty like tires. Belts, hoses, light bulbs are considered consumables and are typically not covered. Me, Id replace it since it controls everything from cooling, ac and power. The squeal maybe a bearing in an idler pulley vs the actual belt slipping. You can look at the belt and feel it. If it looks worn, dirty, feels brittle or you feel cracks it should be replaced. You want to replace it before it breaks.

We had a geo metro the head lamps quit. Went to dealer as it was still new. They said it wasnt normally covered, but they replaced both bulbs. Turns out both died at the same time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Okay, my serpentine belt ('14 Note) is squealing. I took it into the dealership and they said the belt is probably still good for a little while. They also told me it isn't covered under warranty. That didn't seem right, so I told them I'd let it go until my next oil change so I could do some research.

I have the Gold Preferred Plus (or whatever) extended warranty. I'm having trouble finding something that directly addresses the serpentine belt, but it does seem to indicate that belts generally are covered.

So what gives? Is it covered? And if so, why did the dealership lie to me? The guy explicitly mentioned my extended warranty earlier, so it isn't like they didn't know.

Based on what I can read, that belt is considered a "Maintenance item" and would not be covered.

Owners Manual:
Emission Control SystemMaintenance:
Drive Belts*
Check engine drive belts for wear,
fraying or cracking and for proper tension.
Replace any damaged drive
belts.

Warranty:
Items not covered:
8.3 Maintenance service expenses specified in your Owner’s Manual such as: engine tune-up, wheel balance and
alignment, spark plug and wire replacement/adjustment, timing belt replacement, fluid and lubricant
replacement/replenishment, wiper blade replacement, headlight aiming, filter replacement, and brake pad
and shoe replacement.

8.6 Any failures resulting from:
• Lack of normal maintenance as specified in your vehicle Owner’s Manual

1 - 3 of 3 Posts