Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to wash your Versa?
What kind of clay do you use after the wash?
What kind of wax do you use after the Clay?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
anybody on here use this and can give some feedback?

I plan on getting a boar's hair brush and some quality soap. It's too ealy to do any claying but when the time comes I will claybar wich I think is mothers but not sure. There was some stuff in an orange bottle my brother swears by. It's called nu-finish or something. I don't know if it's a wax, polish or whatever. All I know is his car sparkles after.

·
Registered
452 Posts
sorry to get off subject but dave do you remember when rangerpower sports used to be a good ranger forum lol.... i think nico and them have something in common ;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ived used both mothers and ice clay bar well i do tend to favor more on the ice clay bar because when i used mothers it seemed that my sisters rav 4 isnt dirty then i took out my ice clay bar and it took out a whole lot of dirt and my sisters rav 4 dull color became lively hehehe... but the ice clay bar comes with the liquid which i dont really use... i have 3 bottles of ice liquid clay lol that i dont use... i use clay every 3 months :p

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
sorry to get off subject but dave do you remember when rangerpower sports used to be a good ranger forum lol.... i think nico and them have something in common ;)
You know what i never really got into RPS, i've met and hung out with a bunch of the guys from there, but i was more into the offroading aspect of the ranger.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i just completely enjoy the whole process of washing a car. i feel like its just an old fashioned piece of Americana in a way. I just imagine the ideal they show in movies, when a guy gets his first real car, one that he purchased himself and washing that car on the first day of spring etc. etc. etc.

it was REAL hard to keep my 99 sentra nice. just because it was old, and it had a few flaws in the paint when i got it at 16. it was a nice car, and i worked with what i got, but i never started with a pristine car and was able to kep it up. i was always just trying to play catch up with myself i guess, but i still know how to detail the hell out of a car.

Dry Products:

-armorall sponge:
_I love this damn thing. its all microfiber braids on one side, and the entire other side is a soft mesh to scrub bugs off.

-wash clothes:
_I use these to clean my wheels/rims. they have always seemed to work better for me. I dont like to use sprays, they get on your brakes and make then feel weird for awhile and i dont like that.

-3.5 square foot leather chamois
_Ive tried everything else. tried the sham wow, ive tried microfiber, ive treid the big soft towels that they make now. nothing is as soft and "outside particle" free than leather. Leather is the only thing that has dried my whole car thus far.

Soap:

right now i use turtle wax. i tend to use anything when it comes to soap, as long as its not cheap stuff. its usually a decent "wash/wax" combo from one of the name brands like armor all or turtle wax etc. etc.

When i was my car i sray the entire car down a few times to move as much of the loose dirt as i can. I put the hose on the most pressurized setting, such as "jet" or "flat" depending on where on the car im spraying. I pay attention to detail sometimes with this step because i like to get as much of the dirt off with the hose as possible.

i always wash the roof first with as much suds as possible. I rinse off each section after I soap it down. then i just work my way around the car. Hood and trunk/hatch is next. Then every side panel.

the reason i wash it in the order that i do is to eliminate the possibility for soap to run over an already cleaned area. if you wash the side of your car before the roof, when you rinse the roof all the dirty soap is going to run down your sides.

once the entire car has been soaped down and scrubbed and cleaned ill usually wet the car down a few times on shower setting. paying attention to getting soap out of all the internals and cracks.

then i dry it down using the same order as i do when i wash (roof, hood, trunk sides etc)

for all the door jambs and painted areas that expose when you open doors, i use a wet, soapy microfiber towel to clean them, and then i just wipe it off with another dry microfiber towel.

i use a light soap/water mix and a cotton rag to clean the inside of my car (dash, doors) all plastic and leather/vinyl as well.

ill usually spray some febreeze on all floormats and seats, then vacuum them right after that.

and i think thats it? i dont usually wash windows on the inside unless they are streaked.

once the whole car seems dry, i make sure the entire wheel surface is pretty dry and i spray it with good ol fashioned tire foam. i dont like anything else, the foam is the only thing that really works for me.

if it comes out in liquid form, or if you apply some kind of goof, it always seemed to fly off the tire when you went to drive and youd end up with all these oily/greasy spots on the sides of your car from it spraying off at high speeds.

sooo thats about it i guess. i probably missed some stuff, but im usually outside for at least an hour and a half. its just always something ive taken my time with and put "passion" into i guess?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats cool thanks for the info mrogers... i use turtle ice products in conjunction with driwash... but recently ive been using driwash for the past 2~3 weeks... it keep my v super clean :p

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
not sure what the armoral sponge is you are talking about, but from what you are describing, and what i am thinking, you need to be very carefull with the netting it can scratch the soft clear coats on newer paints easily, older paints with single stage would be ok, but the soft clears are easy to scratch

·
Registered
147 Posts
yea i generally hate having anything "meshy" touching my paint in general. its near impossible to avoid minor feather scratches and swirl. it just happens unless your car is a garage queen. i use the mesh side real sparingly and generally on the front bumper area and windshield where i tend to get some bug splatter.

:) :)

ima invent scratch proof clear coat :cheers2: haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do pretty much the same thing as mrrodgers. Except if you go through all that trouble to clean the car, you might as well throw some wax on it. Ive been throwing a layer of Meguiars step #3 Caranauba wax on my V about every 2 weeks. It makes my black just super sexy deep. My friend has a charcoal gray G35, and the caranauba wax does wonders for his paint as well. Also, with this wax, I really dont have anything that sticks to my paint... it all washes off so easily. Downside to caranouba is that it only lasts 2 weeks, so you must re apply it very often.... but I love washing my car!

I use meguiars gold class shampoo, and it doesn't strip the wax off like other shampoo's. So you can actually layer your wax over weeks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
NOOO NOO NO NON O

if im not mistaken, i learned this awhiilllee ago when i got my first car at like, 16. but there is the possibility of waxing your car tooooooo much. and once every two weeks is just extravagant IMO. maybe someone with a bit more detailing knowledge or paint knowledge can correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i am.

even though you dont have that "slick" feeling on your car and you cant slide across your hood like indiana jones or shia lebouf in transformers the wax is still there. lol

just my two cents, maybe take it easy with the wax and use the spray touch up type wax??

·
3,417 Posts
I too used that Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax. Great stuff, I may end up claying it and rewaxing it this summer. When I run out of the wax, I'll upgrade to the NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, seems like its better than any of the Caranauba waxes on the market. Should only have to do it every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I want to wax mine this summer. What type of wax should I use? I had the paint protection done by Nissan. Will waxing the car affect the paint protection? Will it be okay to wax it?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is recommended to wax the car atleast every 6 months so that the clear coat wouldnt fade... for wax ive been hearing good things about nxt generation 2.0 but if youre a clean-a-holic with your versa i would suggest detailer spray like dri wash or turtle wax detailer spray... me my self havent washed my car using water and soap for hmmm the last time i posted review on dri wash :p only bad thing about it is that if youre in a hurry you might miss a spot lol... other than that its a good product... but to answer your question it wouldnt affect your paint protection warranty in any way ^_^v

·
3,417 Posts
I want to wax mine this summer. What type of wax should I use? I had the paint protection done by Nissan. Will waxing the car affect the paint protection? Will it be okay to wax it?
I recommend Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax or the Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 I won't affect the paint protection. You will be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
localnemesis
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing