1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, I love how much they argue over on that forum. I'm glad our forum isn't like that..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes it is! Shut up! I hate you! I'm RIGHT! YOU'RE WRONG!

Also, this bypasses the catalytic convertors? Soooo that's totally illegal for road use most places, yeah? Will it even pass smog?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Nice looking piece. Some of you 1.8v guys should contact them and let them know most likely the header will fit.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
yeah, the sound was really bad, but they did say they were running it with no resonator and a pretty much straight-through muffler. Im wondering if with a better exhaust it might sound better. It also said "custom" exhaust, which usually means pieced together in somebody's garage.. And doesn't the OBX header eliminate the cats as well?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, did anyone else know that OBX made a header for the hr16? I thought they only made one for the mr18. The 1.6 version looks like a much better 4-2-1 design.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I couldn't hear the soundclip. But with oversized exhaust piping and not cats or resonators I'm sure it sounded like crap. I would put a huge resonator on it and probably go 2"-2.25" mandrel bent exhaust tubing and a big muffler. Not a canister fart can but a nice big magnaflow oval with dual tip outlets.

I too seen the HR16 header. I'm not modding my V but that too didn't look too bad. If my flex rots out down the road I might grab that and put it on as a replacement as OEM replacements are a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It did sound like crap, lets just hope it was only because of no res and the custom exhaust. Wounder how it will sound with DC cat-back???:bigear:
OBX sounds decent with DC.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where cna we get that header?
like i said in my first post, i know that it will bolt to the block but not certain about the rest. if you are interested you can e-mail weapon r and see what they can do as far as test fitting, etc. they are not yet in production, they are waiting to get the prototype back from the tester to see if any adjustments can be made before they start producing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok. That was my Sentra in the clip mentioned earlier in the thread. The clip was with the Weapon R race header installed (4-2-1) attached to a BRM catback consisting of 2.5" all the way back to a "nice big magnaflow oval" muffler with a single tip. No resonator. I've since had a 14" Magnapack (10146) welded in and while it did help, it didn't remove all the rasp. After doing some research in removing rasp, I decided to order a Vibrant metal core race catalytic converter. I just ordered that today. I plan on welding that in and removing the 14" Magnapack and going from there. I think no matter how big of a resonator I add to the car, it's not going to eliminate the rasp completely. Rasp is the nature of the beast, it's how our MR engines sound.

The reason I was running with no resonator is when I had ordered the catback I was running the OEM exhaust manifold with the OEM catalytic converters. I live in California, so I have two OEM cats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The header itself is awesome. It's very well made and absolutely gorgeous. Immediately upon driving the car I noticed how much more responsive it was. I'm also getting better mileage (given I'm not stomping the pedal). Win win. All in all, it's just another option for you Versa guys, or gals.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In California (I am in CA as well) isn't it illegal to run without a catalytic convertor? As you said you're planning on adding one back in, but it also said the race header removes the cat? Anyway, anyone think this will improve performance with the OEM exhaust system (minus the header(?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, it is illegal to run without a cat in California. The race cat I ordered is also illegal. Oh well. When it comes time to smog, I can just swap my OEM setup back in. Plus, this way I'm preserving my OEM cats, as I imagine they're really expensive to replace. The race header does delete both cats and I'm currently running a CEL eliminator so my car isn't throwing any codes. I'm going to be installing the race cat downstream of my downstream o2 sensor, but I'm not installing it for emissions, just for sound. Which I actually think is kind of funny. I'll have to post some pics when all is said and done.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Welcome! Avoiding rasp on a 4 cylinder can be difficult. Hope we didn't offend you. That's not what we are about here. Thanks for taking the time to come on and tell us what you have and for being the guinea pig to what looks like a quality header.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.