Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - new member here.

Just bought my daughter a 2007 Versa SL with 95K miles. The door panel lists tire size as P185/65R/15, BUT......... just noticed the car has non standard wheels and the tire size is 235/40R/18?

Is this weird, unusual or just an upgrade? Is it a problem?

Thanks and glad to be here, Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
That wheel is really to big for the car. I would check all of the tires to make sure they aren't rubbing on metal parts. Turn wheels all the way to the right/left and make sure you have clearance.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wheel is really to big for the car. I would check all of the tires to make sure they aren't rubbing on metal parts. Turn wheels all the way to the right/left and make sure you have clearance.

Let us know what you find out.
Thanks for this reply. I find there IS some rubbing against the mud shield on the inside of the front tires. Is there a tire with a lower profile I can put on these 18" rims?

I'll test the speedometer because it obviously can't be right then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UPDATE. Seller swears these tires and wheels are a sports package put on by the Nissan dearlership. Could that be so when they rub mudguard on full turn?
The speedometer is ok?

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seem I have to eat whatever. Seller looked up purchase and this was a sports package with 18" wheels put on by dealer. Who takes sharp corners anyway?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO PLEASE, to avoid the rubbing and to get the right diameter for the speed and odometer to work, WHAT TIRE SIZES do I need on these 18' rims.

·
Registered
72 Posts
SO PLEASE, to avoid the rubbing and to get the right diameter for the speed and odometer to work, WHAT TIRE SIZES do I need on these 18' rims.
The only way to find out is play with the tire size calculator and try to find something that's going to get close to the same diameter and revolutions per mile as the stock 185/65-15. A 225/35-18 would leave your speedometer/odometer off by 1.1% which may be as close as you can get to stock size in an 18 and there's still a chance it might rub. You'd just have to see if a tire store would mount one and see. Another option is checking junk yards to see if you can find a set of 15" wheels off of a salvaged Versa and go to the stock tire size 185/65-15.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2016 Vera. I don't know the rim make or size but the current tires (and according to the seller are what the dealership put on new) are 235/40/18, so would the 225/35/18 definitely fit my rim

·
Registered
72 Posts
2016 Vera. I don't know the rim make or size but the current tires (and according to the seller are what the dealership put on new) are 235/40/18, so would the 225/35/18 definitely fit my rim
I think they'd probably fit the rims OK but I can't say whether they'd rub not. A tire retailer should be able to check the width of your rims and tell you whether 225/35-18's are a good match or not. My Versa is a 2016 and has factory 15" rims. I know certain width rims need certain width tires but there's usually a range of tire sizes/widths that will fit a specific rim width. The following calculator will tell you the wheel width range needed for a specific tire size. https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts