Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oil changed at the dealer several days ago and had the radiator fluid flushed and replaced. I began to notice a swishing gurgling sound when I stopped. Tonight I discovered a very wet area underneath the dashboard on the passenger side. I haven't had time to look around yet, but any ideas on what this this could be would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out and dabbed the carpet with a paper towel and it is clear and has no odor. But the water I hear swishing around is apparently underneath the carpet. It has been raining here the last few days and earlier it was raining pretty hard, so I will check it out come daylight.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I just went out and dabbed the carpet with a paper towel and it is clear and has no odor. But the water I hear swishing around is apparently underneath the carpet. It has been raining here the last few days and earlier it was raining pretty hard, so I will check it out come daylight.

It might be that the A/C drain tube is clogged, and is causing water to back up into the cabin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth, the carpet sits on a foam insulation block. The floor pan will hold several gallons of liquid; it'll never evaporate. If you pull the seat and some trim you can lift the carpet to get to whatever is sloshing. Leave the carpet propped up and you'll be dry by February.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I just took a first look and I have a small lake underneath my passenger seat(the sloshing I heard). The carpet under the dash feels only slightly wet. I am now going to wet vac the water out. I took a quick look this morning for the evaporator hose and did not see it, but I will look for it after I wet vac everything. I will get back to y'all, many thanks, and off I go looking for the wet vac.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yup, you are right. The wet vac cannot get under the seat and repeated dabbing with towels does not look like it will get it out(although I have removed about 3/4 of a gallon). And worse, it looks like it is going to rain. Thanks for the Response.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just removed the front seat, foam and the trim and lifted the carpet. There was about 2" of water sloshing around. I have almost got it all out. I have my eye on what looks like a plastic grommet on the floorboard but it does not appear to be removable. Now, first order of business, find the evaporator hose and clean it(anybody know the easiest way to it?). Thanks to all for your replies.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
2 inches of water seems like a bunch for a/c condensation to drain but I suppose it's possible. Nowadays cars always seem to cover the fresh air intake port with plastic, if it has cracked directly over the port then rain will run right into it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, it did seem like a lot of water. And the carpet below the dash would be very wet, which it is not. One other possibility I will have to investigate is the automatic car wash I go through. It dumps a huge amount of water(under pressure) on the car. I have often been concerned of it blowing one of my seals. I have looked and don't see any blown seals at present so I will have to keep looking. Since I have everything sopped up, I might take it to the car wash and see if I can locate any leakage.

Edit: Nope, not the car wash and its been raining the last several days. Its beginning to look more and more like the evaporator hose. I'll have to take it somewhere to get it up in the air.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One more thing I forgot to mention. While I was at the dealership, I had the console trimmed on the driver side according to the recall. I now notice a hose on the other side of the console under the carpet going into the floor. It is quite wet in this area. I cannot see where the hose is coming from but believe it is the evaporator hose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am currently trying to get the console out so I can remove the part of the console that was trimmed. I have removed the screws and retainers but something is still holding it in. At first, tt appeared that it was the evaporator drain causing the leak, but when it rained last night, it flooded the floor again. When the weather gets better I will try to clear the drain from the bottom, but for now I would like to see where it is coming from and the cause. Any ideas on the console removal would be appreciated.

Also, I will be checking inside the cowl area to see if leaves have stopped it up. Starting to look like that may be a possibility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After removing the cowl, I looked about 6 inches under the cowl, on the firewall, what looked like the evaporator pipes or heater core pipes sticking out of the firewall. It appears that there is a torn piece of material or plastic that covers it. I am not able to get my hand in there to do anything but it appears that it would create a leak. And, there is a small amount of mushy dirt around the drain holes that drain into the fender. I'll clean that up and hope for the best.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There was a small amount of silt around both drains. It did not look like it would cause a pileup of water but there was dampness in the air inlet, so I am hoping this is it. It appears the silt was caused by oak tree pollen and leaves that worked its way down toward the 1 1/2" square hole in the fender, that serves as the drain.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I just had this issue on a 2013 Versa Sedan and have a few tips...Checking and clearing A/C condenser (evaporator) tube is always a good idea. Use an air compressor blower nozzle to blow out any blockage. Best to do this from the interior. Remove glove box to get access to the tube, disconnect and blow air through it. To remove existing water under carpet first located drain tube near passenger from wheel. It is seated by a rubber boot you can wiggle free allowing water on the floor board to drain faster. Peel up plastic door trim on passenger side and in my case driver side (had 5 gallons of water lol). Park on hill or incline vehicle with front lower. Use shop vac with micro cleaning nozzle to suck up water that pools on edges of floor under carpet.

The real culprit like this poster found was the cowl drain was plugged. To clean you have to remove cowl by windshield. There are youtube videos but basically start by removing wipers then 5 clips. Once that is off you will find drains that go to fenders on both passenger and driver ends. Mine had mud like blockages. Recent heavy rain could not flow out and instead went into passenger compartment through the cabin air intake. Clean the drain holes well and pour some water in to be sure it flows out through fender behind front wheels. Reinstall cowl and wipers. SOLVED.

To dry out the carpets parking in sun with floor heater on high with windows cracked helps. But ultimately parking in garage with windows open and a portable dehumidifier on did the trick.

Hopefully this helps someone because most forums point toward A/C being the culprit when most likely it is the plugged cowl drain. Might start cleaning yearly to avoid this reoccurring but it took 6 years to happen the first time. Good luck for anyone else with wet carpet syndrome 😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts