Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I pulled the seat, lifted the carpet, used a shop-vac, put a leaf blower under the carpet and i thinknits finally dry. Disbyoubpush the plug all the way out? I saw it in there too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My buddy whos a ASE mechanic said yes that IS a drain plug to be removed to let water drain out once an event had occurred but not to remove it permanently because it will allow rain water or puddles of water to enter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First time on here, but i saw this post and I also had some water in my 2014 Versa on the passenger side. Not sure if someone said this or not, but the water sloshing around is probably under your cowl. Take the vipers off, remove the cowl, and you will likely see that the drains on either side are plugged up. Its like a gutter full of water under there. You will also notice that there is an area cut out that leads to your cabin air filter. When the drains get plugged and the water level gets too high, the water spills down into the cabin air filter compartment and out onto the floor on the passenger side of the vehicle. I'm curious, when they changed your oil, did they also wash your car with high pressure water? this would have been enough water to free up all the debris under the cowl and make it run toward the drains

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No they did not. I am unsure if that would have unclogged the drains as we had about 3 weeks of torrential rain and that didn't unclog them. I also thought the sloshing was coming from the cowl but it was not the case. There was at least a gallon or two of water underneath the carpet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a ton in the cowl. Unclothed the drains and then had to clean the floors. Used a shopvac and a leaf blower. Was dry within a day. There was about 3 inches or more in the floorboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m not saying that the water would have unclogged the drains, it might have made the debris float and flow toward the drains clogging them. The three weeks of rain could have made the debris flow toward drains and clog them. Did you ever find out where the water came from?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The blockage was like a sludge covering half the drain. I suspect the fresh air port was where it came in because it was wet, but never did see exactly where underneath the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That’s where my water came from too. Underneath the cowl is a cutout that leads to the fresh air port. When the area underneath the cowl fills with water because debris clogs the drains, the water spills into that area and comes out of the port from where your cabin air filter gets replaced. Only explanation. I actually just cut down two trees next to the area where I keep the Versa parked because the pine needles worked there way throw the vents on the cowl and into the compartment underneath.

Did you get any bad smells after you dried the carpet and sound insulation? If so, how did you get rid of them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank the folks who originally posted the explanation/solution. We have a '14 Versa and when the wife left for work yesterday saw/heard water slushing around. I popped the hood and had a fairly decent idea of what caused it because there was a lot of pine needles and such in that corner on top of the cowling. I cleaned the top off and started thinking that there had to more to this. A quick google search and I see where plenty of folks have had the same issue. I spent half a day and about 8 gallons later cleaned everything out. The best part is, I called our local Terre Haute dealer and asked a service advisor if there was anything else I should check. He told me that the pine needles and debris shouldn't have caused it and that I needed to schedule an appointment. Once you pull that cowling off and look, it's pretty obvious what happened. I think a previous post stated that they deny it....ours sure did.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts