Nissan Versa Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My buddy whos a ASE mechanic said yes that IS a drain plug to be removed to let water drain out once an event had occurred but not to remove it permanently because it will allow rain water or puddles of water to enter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First time on here, but i saw this post and I also had some water in my 2014 Versa on the passenger side. Not sure if someone said this or not, but the water sloshing around is probably under your cowl. Take the vipers off, remove the cowl, and you will likely see that the drains on either side are plugged up. Its like a gutter full of water under there. You will also notice that there is an area cut out that leads to your cabin air filter. When the drains get plugged and the water level gets too high, the water spills down into the cabin air filter compartment and out onto the floor on the passenger side of the vehicle. I'm curious, when they changed your oil, did they also wash your car with high pressure water? this would have been enough water to free up all the debris under the cowl and make it run toward the drains

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No they did not. I am unsure if that would have unclogged the drains as we had about 3 weeks of torrential rain and that didn't unclog them. I also thought the sloshing was coming from the cowl but it was not the case. There was at least a gallon or two of water underneath the carpet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m not saying that the water would have unclogged the drains, it might have made the debris float and flow toward the drains clogging them. The three weeks of rain could have made the debris flow toward drains and clog them. Did you ever find out where the water came from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That’s where my water came from too. Underneath the cowl is a cutout that leads to the fresh air port. When the area underneath the cowl fills with water because debris clogs the drains, the water spills into that area and comes out of the port from where your cabin air filter gets replaced. Only explanation. I actually just cut down two trees next to the area where I keep the Versa parked because the pine needles worked there way throw the vents on the cowl and into the compartment underneath.

Did you get any bad smells after you dried the carpet and sound insulation? If so, how did you get rid of them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank the folks who originally posted the explanation/solution. We have a '14 Versa and when the wife left for work yesterday saw/heard water slushing around. I popped the hood and had a fairly decent idea of what caused it because there was a lot of pine needles and such in that corner on top of the cowling. I cleaned the top off and started thinking that there had to more to this. A quick google search and I see where plenty of folks have had the same issue. I spent half a day and about 8 gallons later cleaned everything out. The best part is, I called our local Terre Haute dealer and asked a service advisor if there was anything else I should check. He told me that the pine needles and debris shouldn't have caused it and that I needed to schedule an appointment. Once you pull that cowling off and look, it's pretty obvious what happened. I think a previous post stated that they deny it....ours sure did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That thing can easily ruin the carpet in your car! Talking from my own experience... Some while ago, I decided to wash my car myself from both inside and outside, and I think I overestimated my abilities. I used too much water inside and got it under the carpet in my car. And after a while, it started to smell terrible. I really didn't know what the issue was until my friend suggested that it was the carpet. On his recommendations, I called this number 0480 022 732 of a carpet restoration company, and they got my rug fixed in a short period of time. I will never do anything myself :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
We bought a 2018 Nissan Versa Sedan that recently flooded with water inside on the passenger's side. We discovered it when my wife got in and put her feet into a puddle on the floor of the passenger's side. She had noticed a sloshing water sound while driving in the months prior, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. We took it in to the Nissan dealer, and they told us it was all our fault and charged us almost 600 USD to clean it up. They put on some good theater about how they'd never heard of such a thing and we were to blame for water leaking into the inside of the car.
Turns out that there are some serious design flaws on the Versa which allow water to collect below the windshield and, when the collected water doesn't drain, it flows into the car on the front passenger side floor. There is a water trough under the windshield wipers that runs from one side of the car to the other. Much like a gutter, it collects water and has two very small drains on each side. When the drains get plugged, like drains inevitably do, water collects in the trough/gutter and will slosh back and forth. There is an entry hole--for cables--about the size of a large book above the trough that then lets the built up water flow right into the passenger side floor. Especially when you are driving and take a turn, the water will slosh up through the hole and into the front of the car. There's a thick pad under the floor carpet that will soak up some water, but after awhile it becomes noticeable. The health danger is that the water has nowhere to go inside the car and will get musty and moldy.
I asked the Nissan dealer--Power Nissan of Salem--how water could possibly end up getting inside the car, and how that could possibly be our fault. Why was there a place where water could collect in the engine area, a drain that could clog, and a hole where water could easily get inside? The manager was very evasive, unwilling to admit anything, and adamant it was our fault. We apparently let leaves fall on the car, which turned into debris that clogged the two drains, which led to the flooding. The manager and others in the shop were all frowning at us for allowing this to happen--they insisted it was clearly our fault for parking the car outside, in the rain, near a tree where leaves could blow on top of the car. We paid almost $600 just to get our car back and left terribly frustrated. The problem looks like it will recur considering that the drains are bound to get plugged up again. It's probably just a matter of time, since it rains a lot in Salem, Oregon.
Long story short: Nissan allowed a serious design flaw in the 2018 Versa Sedan that leads to flooding and wet floorboards. There should not be a place for water to collect, nor a drain that is prone to clogging, nor a hole for water to flow inside the car. One guy captured this whole story well on Youtube (see Nissan Versa Passenger Water Leak by Tony Sinatra, Jan 26, 2019,
). Part of the problem is you have to remove the windshield wipers and plastic covering in order to see where the water collects, otherwise you will see nothing and be left wondering where the water is sloshing around and getting in.
Had I known of this design flaw and the problems it would lead to, I would never have bought the car. It's time for a recall, an engineering design change at Nissan so future cars don't suffer the same leaks, and for dealerships to be honest about the problem. Buyers are not responsible for water leaks inside new cars.
I have a 2016 Nissan Sentra. Recently started hearing a slight sloshing sound when I would turn or stop. Went on a weekend Memorial for my best friend and parked my car at my home under an oak tree that is part of the driveway. Came home. It had rained that weekend. Got myself, son and 90 yo mom with Dementia in the car and drove to CVS. Came out and my son said, “Mom, I don’t know about you but mine and Grandma’s feet are in a swamp! There was so much water! Got home, popped the cheap plastic (I say cheap cause I only weigh 92 lbs) piece runs along inside door. Over the last week I have used the shop vac and removed over 5 gallons. Leave the two passenger doors open during the day with a brick propping up the carpet and padding and at night put towels down and a sheet for the back floorboard. Each morning hang them to dry. And repeat. My niece came with her super powerful blower and blew along piece under windshield wipers. More water! Just flying out. You could see it moving as she blew. Rained last night. Oh and I added a tarp over windshield and passenger side. This morning towels and sheet wet but not as bad. Water under car on pavement on passenger side with no driving. I am 64, single mom, caregiver to my mom. I do not have the time or the money to pay Nissan. I’m so fed up with Nissan since I got this car. I was never given a second key because “they traded Managers”. I refuse to give them money. I’m still trying to fix on my own or with a neighbors help. I’m confused about whether there is a hose to run wire hanger through or there is not. Feel like I read both on here. And no I don’t have tools to take off windshield wipers so I’m asking for help. Should I jack car up to look for hose or do the windshield wiper thing?? And how do I find recalls or class action lawsuits?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so I just had this issue on a 2013 Versa Sedan and have a few tips...Checking and clearing A/C condenser (evaporator) tube is always a good idea. Use an air compressor blower nozzle to blow out any blockage. Best to do this from the interior. Remove glove box to get access to the tube, disconnect and blow air through it. To remove existing water under carpet first located drain tube near passenger from wheel. It is seated by a rubber boot you can wiggle free allowing water on the floor board to drain faster. Peel up plastic door trim on passenger side and in my case driver side (had 5 gallons of water lol). Park on hill or incline vehicle with front lower. Use shop vac with micro cleaning nozzle to suck up water that pools on edges of floor under carpet.

The real culprit like this poster found was the cowl drain was plugged. To clean you have to remove cowl by windshield. There are youtube videos but basically start by removing wipers then 5 clips. Once that is off you will find drains that go to fenders on both passenger and driver ends. Mine had mud like blockages. Recent heavy rain could not flow out and instead went into passenger compartment through the cabin air intake. Clean the drain holes well and pour some water in to be sure it flows out through fender behind front wheels. Reinstall cowl and wipers. SOLVED.

To dry out the carpets parking in sun with floor heater on high with windows cracked helps. But ultimately parking in garage with windows open and a portable dehumidifier on did the trick.

Hopefully this helps someone because most forums point toward A/C being the culprit when most likely it is the plugged cowl drain. Might start cleaning yearly to avoid this reoccurring but it took 6 years to happen the first time. Good luck for anyone else with wet carpet syndrome ?
I posted this year about the wet floorboards on passenger side. My niece blew water with her leaf blower starting on driver side across to passenger side through top of cowl since I couldn’t get wipers off. Then my neighbor took his air compressor hose and blew a/c line which seemed blocked. Did the whole shop vac, towels down at night, doors open during day, propped up carpet, baking soda deal. No more problems until this weekend. Got in car. Stinks. Water in passenger side again! Doesn’t Nissan have to fix this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Ok, so I just had this issue on a 2013 Versa Sedan and have a few tips...Checking and clearing A/C condenser (evaporator) tube is always a good idea. Use an air compressor blower nozzle to blow out any blockage. Best to do this from the interior. Remove glove box to get access to the tube, disconnect and blow air through it. To remove existing water under carpet first located drain tube near passenger from wheel. It is seated by a rubber boot you can wiggle free allowing water on the floor board to drain faster. Peel up plastic door trim on passenger side and in my case driver side (had 5 gallons of water lol). Park on hill or incline vehicle with front lower. Use shop vac with micro cleaning nozzle to suck up water that pools on edges of floor under carpet.

The real culprit like this poster found was the cowl drain was plugged. To clean you have to remove cowl by windshield. There are youtube videos but basically start by removing wipers then 5 clips. Once that is off you will find drains that go to fenders on both passenger and driver ends. Mine had mud like blockages. Recent heavy rain could not flow out and instead went into passenger compartment through the cabin air intake. Clean the drain holes well and pour some water in to be sure it flows out through fender behind front wheels. Reinstall cowl and wipers. SOLVED.

To dry out the carpets parking in sun with floor heater on high with windows cracked helps. But ultimately parking in garage with windows open and a portable dehumidifier on did the trick.

Hopefully this helps someone because most forums point toward A/C being the culprit when most likely it is the plugged cowl drain. Might start cleaning yearly to avoid this reoccurring but it took 6 years to happen the first time. Good luck for anyone else with wet carpet syndrome ?
i just finished taking off wipers and the cowel. Wiped out little bit sludge, put wire hanger thru, took water hose & ran water thru both holes. Water came out behind both fenders. And still drained inside car on passenger side!! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having same issues due to a clogged cowl drain. Now Nissan is saying that I’m having electrical issues this literally happened in less the a week. I just don’t know what to do at this point.
I’m sorry to read this. With my son’s help, we finally fixed the leak by doing everything I wrote about in my post. I know I said it was still wet high up in front passenger side under carpet towards back of radio. I haven’t had any other problems but I worry about the cowl drain getting clogged again! It was not easy for me, 65 yo, pulling up plastic parts, carpet, then dealing with the big piece of styrofoam under the carpet and you have to pull all this out to get to all the water. And then put all pieces back together like a puzzle. The average woman would not know how to pull off wipers to even get cowl cover off. It’s crazy where the little drain holes are and covered with a flap. I haven’t even talked to Nissan. Good luck. I stayed on Nissan site and watched YouTube videos.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I’m having same issues due to a clogged cowl drain. Now Nissan is saying that I’m having electrical issues this literally happened in less the a week. I just don’t know what to do at this point.
Are you having electrical problems? This can certainly lead to them, but are you having any now?

No, Nissan doesn't have a "fix" for this. It happens to all makes and models, and they don't either. Drains clog. Forums and the internet make you think that this is something that happens to 90% of versas, when in fact it doesn't. If you park under trees that drop leaves and crap on your car, and don't clean it out, this could happen to you. Plugged AC drains can do this, sunroof drains. Drains clog. If you go through carwashes with your HVAC set to fresh air, water can get in. I've replaced carpets due to these issues and tried drying them with giant fans over an entire weekend, but it doesn't work. The fan doesn't get the mold or smell out either. Sometimes you find that when the carpet comes out, it's crept to the back floors through all of that padding. It smells terrible when it comes out and if you think your car doesn't stink and have had standing water in it, you are just used to the smell.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts