Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I'm looking to buy new rims and tires for my 2012 Versa Hatchback. I wanted to know what are the effects of larger rims and tires are going to be? I have 15" steelies right now and I want to upsize +2 to 17's. Can anyone tell me what the possible negatives would be caused by upsizing and do I need to do any modifications to either prevent them or keep them from getting too bad?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
negative affects are your can possibly get less mpg's from the heavier wheels, your car will be more sluggish, your car will look like a 4x4 unless you lower it, your speedo will be off unless you get the proper size tire to go with the larger rims and you will have a harsher ride running the lower profile tire.

You can get some light 17" wheels to prevent the sluggishness and the lower mpgs but light 17" wheels are $$. If you get the right size tire your speedo will be accurate. If you lower the car it won't look like a 4x4 with the bigger wheels. But there isn't anything you can do for the harsher ride due to less tire sidewall.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Welcome DJ!
All of the above is totally true.
I put on 215/45 17s without lowering the suspension.
I have lost about ten percent fuel economy.
Feel the bumps a bit more too.
Love every corner and on ramp though.
Just took them off last week to put on the winter 15 in steelies.
If you can get a good deal on the 17s, and you love the twisties, I say go for it.
edit My odometer with this tire size is within 1 km/h of my navi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok thanks everyone for the information. I will definitely do some more research and get back to you all if I have any more questions. Also would any of you be able to suggest a few brands of rims and tires that I could look at. Do any of you have a preference?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.