Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: What causes one windshield wiper to not work?

UPDATE:
Well my son FINALLY took the Versa to a dealer near the base where he is stationed at, well rather his wife did it, and seems alll it was was a loose screw ikn the tramission arm that connects the passenger side wiper to the motor. The man at the dealer raised the hood, saw what was wrong, tightened it up (and added lock tight to it), closed the hood, and told my daughter in law that is was fixed at no charge. As the technician stated, if Nisson could not do a 2 minute job for free for our men and women in service then something is wrong with management. SO if your passenger side wiper acts up and either quits or acts sluggish, take a look at where the passenger wiper transmission arm connects to the driver side and see if the scre/nut is loose.
My son owns a 08 Nissan Versa S that he bought new in 08. He is in the USAf and called me tonight with a question as to a problem with his windshield wipe system on the Versa. His passenger side wiper is not working while his drivers side is. he stated that he could raise the passsenger side wiper to the up position and it would go back down under power but will not come back up all the while his drivers side wiper is working fine. Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem is and has anyone else ran across this problem on the Versas? IMHO it is the control arm to the passenger side; either the arm itsel, plastic washers or fittings in the arm connections if any, or a loose nut on either the moter or the wiper where the arm connects to them. Am I on the right track? I know it should not be the motor BUT being not that up on Versas, could it be the motor itself? Is there any special tools he needs to work on it?

I appreciate ANY help in this issue. He has to work on it when he can in between time on duty helping to keep us all safe. I served and know how little time he has to do work on his auto so any help is greatly appreciated in finding a solution to this problem.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is the 1st time I hear about this happening to a Versa but my brother's old Civic(2003) had the same problem and it was the motor. Does his Versa have any warranty?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Never heard of it, but it sounds like its the motor. I had a power window motor in my 00 Camry that was going bad. It would work going down, then it would die slowly coming up. Then I would have to wait about 5mins, and roll it back up. Once the motor was replaced, it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
if it goes down under power but it won't go back up it very well could be the motor
and I never had that problem with my Versa, so I'm just playing guessing

P.S
:patriot: tell your son we thank him for serving and keeping us safe!!
and same to you also :thumb2: from knoxville, TN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank all for the advice. I stopped in my local parts house today and they said it is either the motor or possible the gear stripped but either way the motor has to be replaced. I called my son today, he is off duty when it is daylight here, and told him to find a Nissan dealer near base. Thankfully one is right down the street from his house so he is taking it to them. Warranty is out, being in the military and stationed where he is, he has put several miles on it coming home since he has been in plus he drove back and forth to college before he went in. Great little car IMHO and I am NOT a new car person at all. I drive a Dodge Dually Diesel so that little Versa made me scratch my head especially with a 140 mph speedo in it as well as a 6 speed tranny. I took it through a 5 mile straight stretch here and it buried that speedo in a very short distance with some pedal left!!! Have to admit, as much as I love muscle cars (first car was a 69 SS Chevelle 396), that Versa will scoot and gets great gas mileage to boot! Still too little and low to the ground to suit me.

Again thanks to all who replied and I will post the exact problem once we find out so otehr Versa owners will know if it is a recurring problem in the Versa line. I know while he was in boot camp 2 years ago I drove it around a bit but had a problem with mice getting into the blower motor of heater. Had it in dealer 4 times for that till they sprayed something in it to ward the little buggers off. Just a FYI to all who might leave their Versa sitting for a while between driving time. Dealer said they had several in the shop all over the US for that so it was not a new thing. Something to do with an insulation they use that actually attracts mice and other rodents so watch out for that.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
LOL i had mouse nest in blower motor of my sentra. Stank something awful. Cleaned it up with Lysol spray. Mice never came back. Good as new! I never buy new either. But ya can't buy a used car unless someone bought it new first.
My brother-in-law put a Cummins diesel from a Dodge into a motorless Ford dually years ago. Calls it The Fodge LOL! Still driving it! I'll check the miles next time.
Hope that wiper motor gets fixed up with minimal fuss. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Great news! Glad for the easy fix and snappy service. Some dealerships are smart and some are rather average, so good work, Nissan dealer! [Love that Loc-Tite] And good job too for your son's wife for takin care o' business!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
08versailles
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing