Nissan Versa Forums banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Its been a long time since I have been on here!

A couple months ago I began work on converting my Honda Accord from an automatic to a manual. The process has been a good learning experience but it has been hell to deal with. From trying to track down the right parts, getting the wrong parts, and constantly having stuff not go right it has been nothing short of a nightmare.

I am almost ready to start putting it back together.

So far I have:
Been to Honda to order a million parts about 20 times.
Installed the clutch pedal assembly and brake pedal - Nightmare
Installed the clutch master cylinder
Rewired all the safety switches for the clutch assembly and reverse lights and all that fun stuff
Removed the old transmission
replaced lower balljoints and oil pan gasket
Correctly drilled a new hole for the transmission mount
Got the clutch, flywheel, and whatnot all bolted up
The transmission is installed.
Swapped out the ECU for a manual version

Currently, I need to bolt of the slave cylinder but I need to decided where to run my custom stainless steel line. Now, I am fighting non stop to try and route the new manual shifter cables from the cabin to the assembly on the transmission.........I have routed and un routed them about 10 times now and it is not easy.

After I get that done and bleed the clutch I will be on my way to have it back on the road. Hopefully before the snow since I no longer drive it in the snow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Channeling my inner redneck?
[/URL][/IMG]

fabricated a bracket/bumper, mounted, and wired a winch onto my garden tractor.

Also got into the Rabbit last night after a couple weeks off, and got it all tightened up, the dash back in, shifter aligned, and generally finally ready for a road test (just in time for winter).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well a couple days ago I decided to work on it late into the night and hodge podge it together to at least see if it would start!

It started right up! First time in 4 months. Of course there were a few problems, check engine light, one axle was spinning, and it was pouring out oil out of the oil pan gasket that I had just done. So the oil I drained out last night had a total of 30 seconds on it....so that was a waste of 5 quarts. BUT, at least it starts so I know everything was wired up right!

I got alot more done today and will be working on it again tomorrow. Today I got most of the interior put back together, got the heat shield and various shifter cables parts put back on, and adjusted the length of the master cylinder clutch rod to try and solve an issue there.

Next up is the intake, battery/tray/power wire, replace the oil pan with a new one and gasket again, and try to get the halfshaft in which has been fighting me. After I get the axle nuts and wheels on it should be on the road! I am hoping to be driving it this coming week or the next week - it really depends on the halfshaft issue I have going on and of course assuming everything else works right!

I might put up a few pics of the stuff I have been doing.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I might put up a few pics of the stuff I have been doing.
Yes pics pls

Installed the snows on the non-Versa Charger. Heavy, so mechanic threw them on for me, and got Krown underspray too.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, I got the car put back together yesterday except for one axle, the wheels, and the ball joint nuts. I put in the new oil pan and oem gasket and it seems to be working fine without any leaks.

Bad news - I started it up and I can put it in any gear with or without the clutch. For some reason, the clutch is not disengaging and therefore will not allow me to get in an actual gear and transfer power to the wheels. :(

Im trying to get some suggestions from other Honda guys so hopefully I can get this fixed. It is super disappointing knowing I am so close. Plus winter is coming and I want to drive it a couple times before the snow falls.

Yes pics pls

Installed the snows on the non-Versa Charger. Heavy, so mechanic threw them on for me, and got Krown underspray too.
Gotta love snow tires! I'll post pics when I get some time to go through them and when the car is running right! Hopefully that is asap!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Welp… the tires on my F150 were starting to wear, so I went and found me a good deal on some KMC Monster's. Still undecided on tires but they will be beefy MT's. This is just a google image pic of the wheels…

What the truck looks like currently…

Annnnd what it will look like (mine has a little less lift than this one though)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Put the Accord back together tonight praying that it would work.

Sure enough, I was shifting gears!!!!!!!! :smile:smile I need a little fine tuning and cleaning up to do but it feels like a completely different car!

Once I get everything sorted out i'll post pics! Im beyond happy that ive successfully made the Honda a manual!!!! :)

·
Registered
639 Posts

Sure enough, I was shifting gears!!!!!!!! :smile:smile I need a little fine tuning and cleaning up to do but it feels like a completely different car!

Once I get everything sorted out i'll post pics! Im beyond happy that ive successfully made the Honda a manual!!!! :)
awesome, been toying with the idea of doing a head swap on my 96 civic over to a vtec head to get some extra power, my dad already has most of the parts besides the actual head, but i'm a little hesitant to actually do anything with my civic lol

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
What the truck looks like currently…
]
My brother just bought an 09 f150 FX4 pkg super crew in black. 5.4 triple valve v8
Funny with truck pickup boxes so tall in the last decade, any rim less than a 20 looks puny.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Channeling my inner redneck?
[/URL][/IMG]

fabricated a bracket/bumper, mounted, and wired a winch onto my garden tractor.
:Hit That:

(Please don't tell my wife :surprise)

My brother just bought an 09 f150 FX4 pkg super crew in black. 5.4 triple valve v8
Funny with truck pickup boxes so tall in the last decade, any rim less than a 20 looks puny.
Thats cool Jay! Its a good truck, I've had no issues with mine so far, and have definitely pushed it with towing. Kind of makes me miss my duramax sometimes. I Agree, you do need at least an 18" wheel in order to not look goofy, or 20" if you want to run street tires. I prefer the look (and ride) of a larger sidewall on the 20" though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, I got the car put back together yesterday except for one axle, the wheels, and the ball joint nuts. I put in the new oil pan and oem gasket and it seems to be working fine without any leaks.

Bad news - I started it up and I can put it in any gear with or without the clutch. For some reason, the clutch is not disengaging and therefore will not allow me to get in an actual gear and transfer power to the wheels. :(

Im trying to get some suggestions from other Honda guys so hopefully I can get this fixed. It is super disappointing knowing I am so close. Plus winter is coming and I want to drive it a couple times before the snow falls.

Gotta love snow tires! I'll post pics when I get some time to go through them and when the car is running right! Hopefully that is asap!

Nice work! I wish I had seen this earlier, I'm guessing your only issue was that the axles weren't both hooked up. With only one, the diff sends power to the one that has no load on it.

Only gripe: you said disengaged, but you meant engaged. The clutch is engaged when you are driving (foot off pedal), disengaged when you have your foot pressing the pedal in.

No pictures for my part, but I have 2 updates:
1. The Rabbit is on the road again, turbo rebuilt and reinstalled. Drives great!
2. Rebuilt the throttle linkage on the tractor, and am in process of a drive pulley swap (moar speeeed>:D ). Cuz every riding mower needs to be capable of 20-30mph.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nice work! I wish I had seen this earlier, I'm guessing your only issue was that the axles weren't both hooked up. With only one, the diff sends power to the one that has no load on it.

Only gripe: you said disengaged, but you meant engaged. The clutch is engaged when you are driving (foot off pedal), disengaged when you have your foot pressing the pedal in.

No pictures for my part, but I have 2 updates:
1. The Rabbit is on the road again, turbo rebuilt and reinstalled. Drives great!
2. Rebuilt the throttle linkage on the tractor, and am in process of a drive pulley swap (moar speeeed>:D ). Cuz every riding mower needs to be capable of 20-30mph.
Yeah, I did mess up the terminology! Oops!
Actually, both sides would spin. Even when only one halfshaft was in, the intermediate shaft on the other side would spin as well. If I hadn't have been so worried over nothing it would have been running a few weeks earlier.

Nice job with your projects - I thought I was done with stuff for the winter as I got 2 snow blowers up and running and finished the Honda. However, I now have to replace the half shaft on my wifes junk Hyundai along with a few other things.

·
Registered
440 Posts
awesome, been toying with the idea of doing a head swap on my 96 civic over to a vtec head to get some extra power, my dad already has most of the parts besides the actual head, but i'm a little hesitant to actually do anything with my civic lol
Good luck! The GREAT thing about Civics is that there are 4 billion threads and DIYs on how to do anything on those! IM sure you can find a few great ones out there to do it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks! Was there nothing actually wrong with your swap then? Just some paranoia?

And trust me, I've got plenty of paranoia with the Rabbit.

This weekend, finally, I think I'm going to have time to fire up the heater and get back to work on the V, she's in line for a drivers side ball joint, trans fluid flush, tire rotation, and replacing a bolt that decided it was done living in an exhaust clamp.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks! Was there nothing actually wrong with your swap then? Just some paranoia?

And trust me, I've got plenty of paranoia with the Rabbit.

This weekend, finally, I think I'm going to have time to fire up the heater and get back to work on the V, she's in line for a drivers side ball joint, trans fluid flush, tire rotation, and replacing a bolt that decided it was done living in an exhaust clamp.
Yeah, it was purely me being paranoid and overly worried.

I think I lost some pictures during the swap :( so I am still trying to find them and get them in order. Once I do, i will post pics in a new thread.

Good luck with the rabbit! I have no desire to be working on cars at all during the winter time lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not a huge fan either, but the V has been largely neglected between 1 yr old twins, getting the Rabbit driving, and tinkering on the redneck toy, so i don't have much choice. It's supposed to get up in the 40s this weekend though, so hopefully its not too bad.

·
Registered
226 Posts
summer update? I don't post here much anymore, but I like to poke my nose in and look around because I like the community.

Anyway:

Rabbit is in good shape. Runs and drives really good. Put in a new shifter, redid the tune, rebled the brakes and put the dash back together. Still paranoid based on its history, but really its in great shape.

Still dirty, and needs a little interior love.

Tractor? Yea, so I got another one... Haven't touched it yet. It's also but ugly and doesn't run, but it came with chains, a plow, a dump cart and a deck for $100. engine has compression, so it's nothing big.

The Ranch King got rebuilt front axles, and is getting a beefed up rear hitch. pulley swap is done, and the dam thing almost killed me by popping a wheelie and lunging towards a rather solid looking tree... 4th is too fast for my yard, perfect!.

(The top piece is the frame for a basket; beer, weights, or a gas can.

Jet Ski's? Never bothered even uncovering them last year. Got them both fired up last week. Only casualty was one battery. A '97 Seadoo GTI 3-person, and a '94 Kawasaki SSXi 2-person (really 1 person)

181 - 200 of 205 Posts