Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems this is something that a lot of people install in their cars.

I know my dad's Sunfire has one (because my brother installed it) and he said the car feels a lot more powerful with it.

What exactly does this do for the car? Is it beneficial to get? How easy is it to install? Will it void the warranty?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I am slowly learning about all this car stuff. :)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wikipedia is not a reliable source as anyone can edit/add info to it.
This is one source that we were always told we were NOT allowed to site in an academic setting. The biggest reason being that any person who has access to the internet can go on wiki and change the information. Never trust what wikipedia says. It is not a reliable source at all.

I was really hoping for some honest feedback from other Versa owners. Try to say it in an easy to understand way. I'm new to all this stuff.

·
Registered
613 Posts
cold air intake, takes air from below the car and brings it into the engine cooling it. or thats from what i know of lol.. it also adds a minor up in HP too. i love mine :) and i def. recommend you get one Ashley! and hey its ok, im learning myself lol..

·
Registered
613 Posts
well the brand im using is AEM but you will hear mixed reactions saying Fujita is better, but really I dont see any major differences.

To install the cold air intake, you should drop your front bumper to make it easy.
Or take the lazy ass approach and pull off your driver side wheel. pull back the covers underneath and install the filter + bolts after you installed the other parts in the engine bay. lol thats what my friend and i did :p didnt want to have to pull off the front bumper

·
Registered
613 Posts
you will hear a whoosh sound when you accelerate
but you'll get used to that

and i never took off my front bumper, you dont necessarily have to, but it makes the install easier

·
Registered
50 Posts
what a Cold Air Intake does is it is a tube relocated away from the engine bay (hot air area) and sits near the ground. the ground having more colder air gets sucked in through the filter and up in the intake manifold. colder air means bigger combustion. which results in better acceleration and that more power and it does indeed makes that swoossshhhhhhhhhhh sound. thats what is my understanding but im not 100% right. hope that helps u out :)

also i would stick with AEM since i have the stillen CAI and the tubing kinnd of blocks the negative terminal on the battery

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys ... Makes a lot of sense now.

I like my kitty now. She is nice and quiet. If it is only a small purring sound, I guess that would suit her fine. But nothing loud. I don't like loud.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The main purpose of a CAI is to take away the restrictive stock air box, filter, and sound reduction chambers. The second purpose is get colder air into the engine, from outside the engine bay. The reason cold air is better is not necessarily because its cold, but because cold air is denser, hence more oxygen molecules, so more power.

From my experience, AEM is always the best. They are the best engineered. But a CAI only adds six horsepower or so. Companies vastly exaggerate HP gains. Six HP is not worth that much money though. Get some universal tubing and couplers and make a SRI (Short Ram Intake) which is the same as a CAI but the filter is in the engine bay. buy a good filter though, AEM dryflow is the best and requires no oil, which can damage the MAF. There are a few advantages to this intake over a true CAI: Much cheaper (like $50 compared to $200). Install and cleaning the filter is much easier. And the biggest one is no risk of hydrolock (which is getting water into the engine because the filter is low in the bumper) This isnt a big worry, but if it happens, your screwed. For me the peace of mind is better than having to worry every time it rains. There is only one disadvantage to a SRI, you get like four HP instead of six. To me, all the advantages is well worth a SRI over a CAI, and I am a speed freak (all my money is put into performance) You said you wanted information, there you go

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i love my AEM intake. install is straight forward and easy

you don't have to take the bumper off (I didn't), but you can. All i did was take the wheel off. if you don't floor it you will see a slight increase in mpg. aem has a dryflow filter, so you cleaning is a breeze with no oils. and you increase your hp.

if you are debating on getting one, id say go for it :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.