Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Around the 14 second mark. It happens often but I'd like to know if it is normal or something to check out. It sounds as if it reached a maximum point and can't go any more. It eventually goes away when I speed up faster or slow down. Usually only happens when I'm at a stop, and pressing the gas gradually until you can hear that noise.

The other noise I have is more of a wind kind of noise. Sounds like a very low hum like someone left the door open a crack and the wind was gushing through. If that makes sense? It was hard to record it but I think you can hear it at a complete stop and max volume in the above video.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Untitled - YouTube

Around the 14 second mark. It happens often but I'd like to know if it is normal or something to check out. It sounds as if it reached a maximum point and can't go any more. It eventually goes away when I speed up faster or slow down. Usually only happens when I'm at a stop, and pressing the gas gradually until you can hear that noise.

The other noise I have is more of a wind kind of noise. Sounds like a very low hum like someone left the door open a crack and the wind was gushing through. If that makes sense? It was hard to record it but I think you can hear it at a complete stop and max volume in the above video.
Knowing the year, model and mileage of the car would be helpful in trying to give you an answer. From what I could hear in the video, it might be a sympathetic vibration from something under such as a loose exhaust hanger, exhaust connection or failing engine mount. Sometimes it can even be inside the muffler when an internal muffler baffel comes loose. What you can try with a friend, is have the car in neutral, have a friend bring the engine speed up to the point of hearing the noise while you stand outside to see if you can pin it down to a particular area of the vehicle. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
^^^ Yeah, what he said.

14 seconds on it sounded like Nissans version of vtec was engaged and you got a loose heat shield, rotted cat or muffler with internal failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2007 Nissan Versa SL hatchback.
96,827 miles.

Untitled - YouTube

Knowing the year, model and mileage of the car would be helpful in trying to give you an answer. From what I could hear in the video, it might be a sympathetic vibration from something under such as a loose exhaust hanger, exhaust connection or failing engine mount. Sometimes it can even be inside the muffler when an internal muffler baffel comes loose. What you can try with a friend, is have the car in neutral, have a friend bring the engine speed up to the point of hearing the noise while you stand outside to see if you can pin it down to a particular area of the vehicle. Good luck!!
^^^ Yeah, what he said.

14 seconds on it sounded like Nissans version of vtec was engaged and you got a loose heat shield, rotted cat or muffler with internal failure.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Listening a second time it could be a broken or leak in the exhaust or engine mount. To check the exhaust park your car securely and leave it idling. Then use something like an empty wallet to shove up against the tail pipe to block the flow and see if the engine starts to choke or if a noise and air leaking sound comes from else where.

Engine mounts are harder to test. One way is to park the car and use parking brake. Pop hood and put the car in reverse and try to move it. You should start to see the engine twist, but not much. Same with drive. If you got a broken engine mount the engine will twist up a significant amount vs just slightly move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts