Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to post a video, can we do videos here?

It's my gfs car, I think it's timing chain noise and it's very loud.

It's an 08 Versa SL with less than 100k. I'm trying to figure out what to expect when pulling it apart, what parts I'll need etc because we are on a very tight time schedule and limited working area for car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Okay here is the link to the youtube video
https://youtu.be/iMfnRbzCzJA

The last 7 seconds you can REALLY tell what I'm talking about
I would suggest that you check out the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipes under the car. When the rpms increase, the noise disappears, and the engine sounds fine. This suggests to me that something under the car is rattling due to the vibration of the engine at idle. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't find any loose heatshields in the engine bay. The car was running making that sound while i was touching and moving stuff but nothing could be found. It really sounds like from the engine area still.

Do these have alternator decouplers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think that's an internal engine issue at all. Given the movement I see from the video, I'm thinking the engine mounts are shot.
Yeah the mounts are definitely shot. The roll stop specifically.

Agree with Poman, looks like too much shaking of what looks like a fuse box behind the battery at about 0:25 of that recording.
That's the air box. So alright I'll check around the bay by touching stuff and holding it down to keep from vibrating.

Today is the day I'll work on it finally so wish me luck ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright guys guess what!? Problem was solved last night!

It was the serpentine belt auto tensioner pulley! Ordered a tensioner for 45, belt for 15, and boom fixed!

Just fyi for anyone who reads this- you must remove the motor mount to get to the access hole for the tensioner mounting bolt! This saved me soooo much headache once I found the youtube video!

Then use a t47 torx bit (i had to use a t45) and some small profile ratchet combination of some kind. It's tricky.

Also would recommend a jack for the oil pan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
Nherron
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing