Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone else's car manual says, because I think it's weird that mine says that I must have 91 octane and full synthetic oil. I've never owned a vehicle that needed to be special lol.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We only get 95 octane and 98 octane fuel over here...

Only some rare pumps sell 91 octane, which is cheaper and there's lots of rush in those pumps.

The manual for middle east recommends atleast 95 octane at all times.
However 91 octane can be used temporarily provided that the driver should not fill more than half the tank and avoid hard acceleration.

However i am using 91 octane from about 2 years - and flooring the car as well :p

·
Registered
867 Posts
91 RON usually contains lots of Benzine, great for extended real fuel and burning like crap in your car, leading to poor economy and more frequent service intervals.

Go the best, most expensive oil you can buy (people forget that without good oil, engines go pop) and buy the best fuel. Costs you more at the pump but if you're switched on and do some tests you will find that you actually get better mileage for your dollar....plus foul up your plugs etc as quick, so win-win all round.

Luckily for you guys your fuel is actually pretty damn good. Fuel here is ridiculously overpriced with the good stuff being on average $1.60 per litre.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow, 87 RON? That'd be like refining petrol yourself. No wonder it's so cheap!

Our cheap and nasty fuel is 91, reasonable fuel is 95 and if you like your car and plan on keeping it for more than a few years, or want the best performance and fuel economy, you use 98 RON.

The fuel here is over-taxed, with about 70% of it all being tax, the rest actually being fuel costs and station profit.....then the government bitches that we don't buy any Aussie V6 cars annymore and the factories are closing down because we're all buying imported Hyundai/Nissan/Toyota 4 cyl cars.....

P.S. we currently have the most retarded government in the entire western world at the moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone...I wish I could put 98 octane in my car, the highest here is 93, which I usually get. I also get non ethanol and my car runs better than a champ lol. But the down side is I usually spend around $55-$60 to fill up and I only get approximately 230-250 miles to the tank which sucks....but boy is she fast! I gotta say, I have never seen a 4 cylinder have as much balls and pick up as mine. I also have a power pack from NISMO so that's why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have been a lurker on the forum since I got my Versa Hatch in January but I feel that I have to speak up on the fuel octane rating for clarification. In Canada and the US the fuel is not rated with RON but and average of RON (research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number). This average is called the AKI, Anti-Knock Index.

With the two methods of testing AKI is lower than RON. In Europe, for example, a RON of 92 is a 87 AKI in North America, therefore the two are mainly even. This means the type of testing needs to be noted when we are talking about fuel.

Also, the Octane ratings are related to measuring the activation energy of the fuel, not the energy of the fuel or the rate of fuel consumption. Therefore it is about the controlling the chance of early ignition within the compression cycle. This means the any fuel efficiency improvements are due to other additives within the fuel, not the rating itself.

As for me with the fuel and oil I use it is 5W-30 conventional oil (though I am going to try synthetic next change) and 87 AKI fuel since the manual requests that level.

Sorry for being nitpicky with the octane ratings. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.