Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I bet this has been asked way to many times, but this is my first car and any input I can get is highly appreciated. For some obnoxious reason rust started to developed on the rear driver's side right above the wheel, where the panel and the bumper meet. I noticed it since paint started bubbling up, and after taking it to the dealership, it seems it is not cover under warranty, so now I have to find a way to fix it.

I will be taking it around to get some quotes from different body shops, but is there anything that I should be doing/looking for? I keep on reading that rust never goes away, so I want to make sure I take the right steps to attack the problem and prevent it from happening again.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
it will happen again no matter what. You can sand it down to metal, if there is metal left and it's not just crumbled rust. Then prime and repaint. If it's too bad the rust will need to be cut out and new sheet metal welded in.

Rust sucks and there really isn't anything you can do about it other then move, keep the car in a humidity controlled garage and never drive it, or wash and dry it completely after every time you drive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, so is there any point in even trying to repair? I have only had my V for 2 1/2 years, wax it every 2 to 3 months and try to wash it at least once a week or every 2 weeks. It caught me by surprise since I have friends that barely do anything to their cars, yet they show no signs of rust whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
You are doing everything right it seems. Some cars either due to paint, metal or design just seem to rust quickly. Seems odd that your car is so new and your getting that rust. I have washed my car once in almost 5 years. It's never seen wax and while I have some rust on some chips it's not bubbling anywhere else.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is probably a rubber or plastic liner where the bumper cover and body meet is probably the cause of it. It is the cause of the classic Honda rust on the wheel wells because it traps in moisutre.

Washing and waxing is good for a vehicle assuming it is done properly. Keeps it clean, helps water bead off, and helps block UV rays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is probably a rubber or plastic liner where the bumper cover and body meet is probably the cause of it. It is the cause of the classic Honda rust on the wheel wells because it traps in moisutre.

Washing and waxing is good for a vehicle assuming it is done properly. Keeps it clean, helps water bead off, and helps block UV rays.
I'll see if I can spot something like that. I'll take it to the body shop and see how much they quote, though they were straight and told me right away that they can do their best, but can't warranty it from coming back. I've seen there are products out there that are supposed to prevent rust from coming back like POR 15 so I wonder if they are going to use stuff like that. Such a shitty situation :incazzato:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll see if I can spot something like that. I'll take it to the body shop and see how much they quote, though they were straight and told me right away that they can do their best, but can't warranty it from coming back. I've seen there are products out there that are supposed to prevent rust from coming back like POR 15 so I wonder if they are going to use stuff like that. Such a shitty situation :incazzato:
Yeah any rust is hard to prevent from coming back. I have a few spots I am fighting on my Honda at the moment. I basically use rust dissolver gel, high zinc primer, and then a rust encapsulator like Eastwood or POR 15.

If you live in a winter climate like myself it is very important to get the salt off of the vehicle as quickly as possible. Before this coming winter (my 2nd with the Versa) I will be giving the entire underbody and wheel wells multiple thick layers of clear coat to heal protect against rust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah any rust is hard to prevent from coming back. I have a few spots I am fighting on my Honda at the moment. I basically use rust dissolver gel, high zinc primer, and then a rust encapsulator like Eastwood or POR 15.

If you live in a winter climate like myself it is very important to get the salt off of the vehicle as quickly as possible. Before this coming winter (my 2nd with the Versa) I will be giving the entire underbody and wheel wells multiple thick layers of clear coat to heal protect against rust.
Yeah I live in a winter climate state, and this past winter we had pounds of salt on the roads. Sounds like rust proofing the car might be a good investment after solving this

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you can sand it, and its not visible just sand the surface rust of until you hit clean metal, then use epoxy. If its not visible then there's no reason for primer, and paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can sand it, and its not visible just sand the surface rust of until you hit clean metal, then use epoxy. If its not visible then there's no reason for primer, and paint.
Unfortunately its underneath the paint. I noticed it since it bubbled up and its around 2*2.5 inches, how or when it happen I have no clue since I just noticed the paint bubbling up this past month. It seems to be only on the surface, which I assume is good since it means it hasn't advance that much, but I don't think is something I can do on my own :ashamed:

·
Registered
236 Posts

Versa12:
That clear coat sounds interesting. What brand and or type of applicator do you recommend?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Versa12:
That clear coat sounds interesting. What brand and or type of applicator do you recommend?
The whole point is to increase the amount of layers between salt, water, etc. I choose clear coat because it is hard to see and looks factory.

The best choice/most tough is going to be engine enamel clear coat. (dupli-color make it among other brands) Spray paint basically dries when the aerosol and whatnot evaporates. Engine enamel is made to resist head and chemicals such as gas and fluids. It drys by a chemical reaction - not evaporation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The whole point is to increase the amount of layers between salt, water, etc. I choose clear coat because it is hard to see and looks factory.

The best choice/most tough is going to be engine enamel clear coat. (dupli-color make it among other brands) Spray paint basically dries when the aerosol and whatnot evaporates. Engine enamel is made to resist head and chemicals such as gas and fluids. It drys by a chemical reaction - not evaporation.
Do you just apply it yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
2010 Versa started to rust!!!

Last week had problem opening hood... So after i did i started to look for cause. Found that hood opener started to rust, than I looked for more spots and I found what I was not looking for - RUST. Went to dealer and they said that it is normal for 3 year old car I strongly disagree. I had Civic that was 3 years old and no rust, chrysler TC 5 years old no rust, 1987 Audi 5000 with minimal rust.
I was under impression that newer cars are treated with anti-corrosion stuff at factory. I guess I was wrong...
Look at pictures and see if your Versas have same rust in same places. It might be that front end was not treated against corrosion.
I checked my mom's 2010 versa and it also has rust in same places.
Look at pictures and post yours.
My versa has 44K miles and I live in New Jersey. We do not have winters like in Canada.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
that's so much worse then mine and I have an 09 with 130k miles on it. Does this car sit for long periods of time parked ontop of grass or something? I found that cars parked on anything but ashphalt and sit without being driven rust very very quickly in our climates. I'm from CT so similar to NJ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive Monday, Wed and weekends. It is parked on stone driveway. I will start parking on paved surface. That might added to rusting. Now I am looking to get rust prevention kit to apply on versa and rogue. In Europe they sell Dinitrol kit that is easy to apply and is very popular there, but not for sale in US. Or will have to look into POR-15.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
mars009
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing