Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble finding good wipers in the extreme sizes (28" and 12") that the Versa Note takes. What brands and sizes are people actually buying and using?

As a note, I can't just get blade refills from the dealership. Apparently during some service over the past few years, a dealership swapped them out with aftermarket wiper blades.

·
Registered
939 Posts
True blade refills have died across the wiper industry, like the oil industry and banking ('08) and now insurance companies they are figuring out how to greatly increase profits by simply making less of a thing available through 'shortages' and other fairy tales. They get more profits now by selling the entire blade instead of just the refills by themselves. Of course the legitimate industry claim now is that people are too stupid and impatient to install refills now and what our schools have brought us. Like our president.

I live in Texas and there is NO longlife wiper in that killer heat, period. They will last longer but not enough to justify the extra cost. I just buy one that is cheap and fits and replace when needed.

When the refills started vanishing I bought a bunch at cheap prices online but none are long enough for the long one on Versa, I cut the longer refills to match any needed shorter ones. I may end up refitting the long Versa one with a shorter one to get cheaper wipers, BTDT. Was looking at the effective sweep width the other night to see what I could lose with no safety loss driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pimperell, I tried the site you linked, but the only matching wiper it gives is a rear wiper blade... What specific brand did you get?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For posterity, here is what I finally did. I got a couple of Trico wipers, one 28" beam-style wiper and one 11" bracket-stype wiper. The small bracket wiper doesn't block the wiper fluid as was reported by others on the forum. The slightly too-small passenger-side wiper leaves a small wedge of the windshield uncleared, but I don't foresee it being an issue.

The installation was trivial and they seem to fit well. No skipping or missed spots (other than what I note above)

I still haven't been able to find a 12" front wiper anywhere (only back wipers). Next time I'll see if a 13" wiper fits.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I just remove or measure my old ones and go to my local ollies and buy replacement ones for 2 bucks each. Its usually some no name or goodyear brand depending on what is in stock. I use to buy bosch, rain x or what ever was at the auto store upwards to 20 bucks a unit, but found they all shred or come apart in a year.

As an ollies boot camp member I get 15-20% off coupons for a shopping trip and buy 8 or so units for my 3 cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been running Rain-X blades since last fall and have been well pleased. They cost more, but operate smoothly and are still chatter-free many months later. I'll buy 'em again!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I used to sell blades and I see no value there in premium brands if in a hot state like here in Texas. The cheapies last virtually as long as the very expensive ones. True, the expensive may wipe a bit cleaner but not enough for the difference in price to me. The cheap are dead in one year, the expensive go one year plus, big whoop-te-doo.............

You can actually change up blade widths quite a bit if one can simply get around the fact they are no longer OEM widths, many are too timid to go there. If going smaller you find you really lose hardly any viewing at all. On my cars with both only one inch different I convert the longs to the shorter one to be the same and halve my wiper cost at a time.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I tried those one year when advance auto had a BOGO sale. Still spent 20 bucks for 2. THey had a special stuff you smeared on the windshield and had to run the wipers for 2 minutes to rub it in the glass.

Since then, I either apply rain x to the windshield or turtle wax liquid ice wax.

I've been running Rain-X blades since last fall and have been well pleased. They cost more, but operate smoothly and are still chatter-free many months later. I'll buy 'em again!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Since then, I either apply rain x to the windshield or turtle wax liquid ice wax.
Really? Some years ago I was waxing my wife's car with a liquid wax and some of it got smeared on the windshield. The glare was absolutely terrible, she refused to drive it until I used Simple Green and windows cleaner to remove all traces of wax from the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
The stuff I use makes a haze and takes a good wiping to clean it up. I like turtle wax ice as it works on everything but rubber. Then you got their liquid clay bar. :nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can actually change up blade widths quite a bit if one can simply get around the fact they are no longer OEM widths, many are too timid to go there. If going smaller you find you really lose hardly any viewing at all. On my cars with both only one inch different I convert the longs to the shorter one to be the same and halve my wiper cost at a time.
This is definitely what I found in downsizing the smaller wiper. Yes, there's a gap between them, but it's tiny and right at the bottom of the windshield. And I've lost an inch of coverage at the top-right of the windshield, where I never need to look anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Many cars I remove the rear wiper and up front I get replacements that are 2 inches or so shorter as its only an inch on each side. :nerd:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Versa sedan uses a 24 and a 14. I too just buy the cheapest I can find and change them out a little more often. When I bought my Versa in Feb. the wipers were still wiping clean but were chattering as they swept across the windshield. When I waxed the car I applied wax to all the glass, the chattering stopped and I'm still using the same wiper blades with a couple new sets in the trunk for when I need them. I've also used RainX on the glass of a few car in the past and in the hardest rain didn't even need the wipers on and the windshield was clearer than other cars I've driven without the RainX and depended on the wipers to clear it. The only thing about using RainX and not needing wipers is that you have to apply it fairly frequent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've found Rain-x brand wiper blades to be quite good and can be had reasonably by mail order. It's ridiculous what you can spend at any parts store on wiper blades.

I was in a pinch some months back and needed replacement blades ASAP for the bride's 2016 Nissan Quest. My only choices in town are Napa or CarQuest. Blades at Napa ranged from like $8-9ea to like $30 each. Of course I bought the least expensive Napa brand ones and the counter guy of course had to say "You know these are the CHEAPEST blades we have.. Right?" Yep. Well aware dude. My wife will destroy a $30 blade as quickly as a $8 one.

In terms of buying them locally. I know folks hate the place, but Walmart is the place to buy them. For me anyway.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Where I get mine too, for some reason the driver side goes first always and I change about one a year. The new goes on driver side and the old driver one goes to pass side on the cars I have with same size on each. The pass side can suffer a few flaws before having to change it.

Been having troubles of late though with Walmart ones not clicking fully into place, they can come loose to fall off, been having to mod that from time to time now even though they say they fit all. Such is life and the bullsh-t that comes with it, if you like something they always change it to change your mind.

I still have a bunch of extra long refills (26") I bought for dead cheap when I saw the market on them was drying up, I simply cut the overall length down to fit what I need, of course you have to mod then to keep the rubber in place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been a fan of the Rain-X wipers for awhile. I will usually replace them twice a year on a spring/fall schedule.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
Keith Wagner
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing