Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days, I'm all about the fuel economy, so I've implemented these driving guidelines for the last 3 years or so. I used to be a hoon!

- Cruise (shift into neutral) to red lights, off ramps, and my driveway.
- 70 is the absolute max I'll go on the highway (I chill @ 65 mostly)
- Shift into a higher gear at 2,800 RPMs
- Accelerate neither slowly nor quickly, just deliberately and efficiently
- I don't use Cruise Control unless it's a really long drive
- Left the spare tire @ home (will put it back in for long road trips)
- I drive off immediately after I turn the car on
- I roll up my windows ahead of destination (this way the engine is not running while I'm closing my windows and I don't tax the battery if I opt to turn off the engine first and then close my windows)
- I over-inflate my tires 5 PSI more than the recommendation, but still staying well below the PSI limit that is imprinted on the tire

In 4 tanks, my lowest was 27.1 (first tank) and my best was 34.2 (mostly highway). My average is 30.2. 3 tanks were mostly city and 1 tank was mostly highway). After my engine break in period and a switch to synthetic oil, I'm fully anticipating getting 33-35 city and 37-40 highway!

:burnout:

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
my motto is drive slow and brake as little as possible. I usually do not even brake to take turns. My passengers hate it as my turns usually toss them out of thier seat. I do not idle my car. I do not let it warm up but drive very very easy until up to temp. If I knw I will be stopped more then 7 seconds I shut the car off. This includes long lights and drive thru atms. I coast down hills and go slow uphill. I time my lights and avoid short trips. I can go on forever but will stop here.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
- I don't use Cruise Control unless it's a really long drive
- Left the spare tire @ home (will put it back in for long road trips)
- I drive off immediately after I turn the car on
- I roll up my windows ahead of destination (this way the engine is not running while I'm closing my windows and I don't tax the battery if I opt to turn off the engine first and then close my windows)
- I over-inflate my tires 5 PSI more than the recommendation, but still staying well below the PSI limit that is imprinted on the tire
Why wouldn't you use cruise control? Even for short stints on the highway, it maintains the constant speed better than your foot, so it doesn't deviate the throttle as much as yourself. What happens if a tire blew out? Thats a useless move there. Honestly you never know, and the tire is only 20lbs, you can't seriously get a gain of mpg from that. What not let your engine warm up properly? A cold start engine uses more gas than a warmed up engine, even if you think running it immediately after start will help warm it up. A 2 min warm up will help. Are you carrying something heavy? Over-inflating your tires is only recommended for when you have to compensate for a heavy load. Go by the OEM PSI rating. And plus you wear out your tires sooner.

Honestly you're doing much worse for your V than you think.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Why wouldn't you use cruise control? Even for short stints on the highway, it maintains the constant speed better than your foot, so it doesn't deviate the throttle as much as yourself. What happens if a tire blew out? Thats a useless move there. Honestly you never know, and the tire is only 20lbs, you can't seriously get a gain of mpg from that. What not let your engine warm up properly? A cold start engine uses more gas than a warmed up engine, even if you think running it immediately after start will help warm it up. A 2 min warm up will help. Are you carrying something heavy? Over-inflating your tires is only recommended for when you have to compensate for a heavy load. Go by the OEM PSI rating. And plus you wear out your tires sooner.

Honestly you're doing much worse for your V than you think.
I feel you have been misinformed. Let me explain why. First cruise control keeps a constant speed or I should say tries to. It is constantly giving gas to maintain this speed. It can not anticipate a decline where the driver can. If you see a decline coming and you let off the gas totally sure you may slow down 5mph or so but during that time your engine uses 0% of fuel. It uses no fuel while engine braking. Now you get to the decline and the cruise control is trying to keep you at a constant speed. If you are just coasting the vehicle will pick up speed. You will go further on less gas by NOT using the cruise control. And if you think cruise control can maintain speed better then your foot you are mistaken. At least it can not maintain it better then my foot. Cruise control varies +/- 3mph. I have never had one that maintained the speed perfect. Forget cruise control with a 4spd automatic. It will down shift and waste a ton of gas at every little incline.

While I agree not driving with a spare can be dangerous it's not as bad as it use to be. With cell phones, AAA, and over population it's almost impossible to be stranded. Weight savings is beneficial to handling, braking, mpg, and performance. Every little bit does help.

On to the cold start issue. Warming up a car really just means lubricating the head. This process takes about 10 seconds. You can cause serious damage to your vehicle by revving the crap out of it when you immediately start the engine but once oil has flowed up to the head you are good to go. Reason it can cause damage is if you use cheap oil and it doesn't stay stuck on the parts on the top of your engine you will have metal on metal contact. But todays oil, engine tolerances and engineering basically alleviate the need for "warming" the car. Did you know in the UK it is or will be illegal to idle your car? Basically it will be illegal to "warm up" your vehicle.

Let me explain how driving after you start your car uses less gas and can be safe. While that car is running and not moving you are getting 0mpg. You are just wasting fuel. While an engine does use more gas when it's cold it warms up far quicker while driving then sitting still. Plus you are actually using the fuel and getting more then 0mpg. What you should do is start the car. Wait about 10-20 seconds or how I like to do it is the time to put on my seat belt. Then drive the car easy until the blue light turns off. Try to avoid high rpms like highway use or late shifts. I remember this past winter before I was big on mpg I let my car warm up. The car was running for 25 minutes with the heater on and when I want outside the blue light was still on. The tiny 4 cylinder at idle doesn't really produce enough heat, at least here in New England to warm the car up in a timely manner.

As far as tire pressure goes it's tricky. I myself like to keep it what the manufacturer says to 2psi over. That is not enough to cause irregular wear. Reason I go over is because I usually loose a PSI or two while testing how much pressure and over a cold night. I do not like to over inflate too much because it make the ride a little harsher and handling worse.

I'm not concerned about MPG that much, it's not a big deal to me
while it's not a concern for you it is for alot of people. It is a viable one too as gas is over $3.00 gallon here and will be $4.00 mid summer. Getting greater mpgs is beneficial to everyone. It makes us use less foreign oil, makes our air cleaner, saves the person getting good mpg money and gives some of us a little pride.

I just have fun when driving my car. Whatever mileage I get then that's fine with me!
same here!! lol.
While I'm glad you all do not care what mileage you get and just enjoy your rides again some of us do. I can care less about ebay headlights, HID's, springs or coilovers, or 17" wheels but alot of the people on here like that stuff. Everyone is different, with different interests. I still post in the threads on those subjects saying if I like the way it looks or not and make useful suggestion. What I don't do is post up in them saying "I don't care". Because I know the opening poster obviously does care or they wouldn't have posted.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I would be concerned if my MPG were in the ten's, then I'd watch my driving style. If it were such an issue, I'd get a Prius or the Insight. I understand where you are coming from though, its good that you're exceeding the results of Versa potential with the fuel.

Around Colorado, we have some of the cheapest gas across the nation, but that doesn't give me the reason to go around and blow it on a big vehicle that's a gas hog and complain about not getting good MPG.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I would be concerned if my MPG were in the ten's, then I'd watch my driving style. If it were such an issue, I'd get a Prius or the Insight. I understand where you are coming from though, its good that you're exceeding the results of Versa potential with the fuel.

Around Colorado, we have some of the cheapest gas across the nation, but that doesn't give me the reason to go around and blow it on a big vehicle that's a gas hog and complain about not getting good MPG.
I am getting 44mpg and my coworker is only getting 40mpg in his prius. My car was $11k brand new his car was $24k. My vehicle repairs and maintenance will be a fraction of that of the prius.

My main goal for a more fuel efficient vehicle was money. I drive 30k+ miles a year so a good chunk of money goes towards fuel. If I was to buy a prius it would have not have made sense. Any potential money savings from gas would have gone into purchasing the vehicle.

I was looking into lowest cost of ownership and the VERSA, at least the 1.6 is by far that car. Only thing the versa takes a hit on is depreciation. But I plan on keeping it until it dies as I know it's not worth much now and it's only a year old. Imagine in 5 years when it has over 150k miles what it would be worth.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am getting 44mpg and my coworker is only getting 40mpg in his prius. My car was $11k brand new his car was $24k. My vehicle repairs and maintenance will be a fraction of that of the prius.

My main goal for a more fuel efficient vehicle was money. I drive 30k+ miles a year so a good chunk of money goes towards fuel. If I was to buy a prius it would have not have made sense. Any potential money savings from gas would have gone into purchasing the vehicle.

I was looking into lowest cost of ownership and the VERSA, at least the 1.6 is by far that car. Only thing the versa takes a hit on is depreciation. But I plan on keeping it until it dies as I know it's not worth much now and it's only a year old. Imagine in 5 years when it has over 150k miles what it would be worth.
Are you serious, only 40mpg with the Prius? That's not really cracked up to be from the sounds of it. I heard the lithium ion batteries need replacement over time, and those can cost a fortune.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Are you serious, only 40mpg with the Prius? That's not really cracked up to be from the sounds of it. I heard the lithium ion batteries need replacement over time, and those can cost a fortune.
Li-ion is much cheaper these days. But yup I crush his numbers. He also has an altima hybrid and I'm way over those numbers. The thing with hybrids are they aren't good on the highway. They are great for around town, stop and go stuff but on the highway they are only using their gas engine. Which is usually pretty tiny. Now a small engine is fine if you don't have to haul hundreds of pounds of batteries and an electric motor around.

Now he drive much faster then I so no doubt in my hands I can get greater numbers out of a prius. But I have found in driving slower and timing my lights, not slowing for turns and things like this I do not get to my destinations that much slower.

My job is 39 miles from my house. Driving like I use to it would take me 39-41 minutes. This is going up to 85mph. Now with this new driving it take me 45minutes flat every time. So roughly 5 minute difference on a 39 miles ride. In my old car the turbo infiniti I did make the trip in 32 minutes before :woot:. But that was my all time best and I was not conserving gas whatsoever. Also put myself and drivers around me in danger.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick note before I head off to class (argh).

Like Rob said, with a cell phone, it's very difficult to be stranded. When I am at school, I never go anywhere more than 30 minutes away. I have a legion of good friends who would come to bail me out. And being college students, at least 5 people would be awake even if I got stranded at 1:00 a.m.. With that said, if I am doing the 2 hour drive back home, I would of course bring my spare. Every bit counts, which is why performance cars actually come with the stereo unit deleted. How heavy is a stereo head? 2 pounds?

Rob was also on point about most things, especially cruise control. I'll use CC if I'm doing a 4 hour road trip and only when my foot gets tired. I enjoy driving, so whenever I am CCing, it feels strange not to be "involved".

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In class!

I'm the same as Rob... I don't really care about aftermarket mods. In fact, I think vinyl graphics, blacked out tail lights, and tint jobs look tacky. This is just my opinion. And for people like myself, getting good fuel economy is rewarding and beating my last tank is always fun. And who says you can't enjoy driving while being frugal on gas?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
We don't need to start mocking people's mods now or putting them down.

That's good that you do what you can for gas mileage but we all are
not like that. That's what makes us different. I am happy with my car and the mileage I get.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not mocking or putting anyone down, which is why I followed my criticism with saying that it's only my opinion. I certainly appreciate the enthusiasm/effort/work that people put into aftermarket add-ons, it's just not for me. For me, there's always a discernible difference between aftermarket tint jobs and factory-tinted windows. Some people love big and aggressive-looking rims. I prefer 15-16" wheels with understated elegance. I love the factory smoked tail lights of older Benzes and GTIs, but a lot of do-it-yourself jobs I've seen are cringe-worthy. I apologize if it came off that way. :(

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Yes lets not turn this into a debate. We all agree that we're different. If I offended anyone I am sorry as well. Not my intentions. I do not believe I did that but still I'm sorry.

So to get back on topic people list your driving styles. John and I obviously are conservative drivers attempting to exceed the epa MPG ratings. How about some others? Are you guys speeders, cruisers, grandma's like me?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I don't go over the speed limit in the city but I will on he highway. However I gas it straight from the get go. Might as well have some fun with this car. My last car had no power and didn't let me give it gas to go. So now that this car is bigger and more powerful I have too much fun in it. I'm afraid to see
how I would drive my brothers BMW. Lol. And no rob you didn't say anything to offend anyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.