Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see a schedule for changing CVT fluid for a 2014 Nissan Versa SV. I seemed to see that there is a general recommendation for 60,000 miles and 6 years. The car isn't driven much and probably won't see 60,000 for a long time. Can the dealer test the CVT to see if it needs changing or should I change it at 60,000 just in case. I recall Nissan have had issues with CVT in the past.

paul

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't see a schedule for changing CVT fluid for a 2014 Nissan Versa SV. I seemed to see that there is a general recommendation for 60,000 miles and 6 years. The car isn't driven much and probably won't see 60,000 for a long time. Can the dealer test the CVT to see if it needs changing or should I change it at 60,000 just in case. I recall Nissan have had issues with CVT in the past.

paul
Changing out the fluid at 60,000 can't hurt. The one thing I will say is I would have the dealership do the job. Some individuals on this board have done it themselves, but it is an involved process that the dealership is better equipped to handle.

Nissans regular maintenance plan does not seem to address changing out the CVT fluid. The Optional Premium Upgrade shows as follows:

Optional Premium Maintenance Upgrade

30,000 MILES OR 36 MONTHS
Premium Upgrade adds the following services to Standard
Maintenance:
❑ Lubricate all locks/hinges
❑ Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car only get driven about on the average 1,000 miles a year, so at this rate, it will take 30 years to get to 30,000 miles.

Do CVT fluid go bad like engine oil? For engine oil, it really needs to be change at least yearly. Is there a way for the dealer to examine the fluid to see if it needs changing. Changing it is rather cost prohibitive.

Paul

·
Registered
688 Posts
The car only get driven about on the average 1,000 miles a year, so at this rate, it will take 30 years to get to 30,000 miles.

Do CVT fluid go bad like engine oil? For engine oil, it really needs to be change at least yearly. Is there a way for the dealer to examine the fluid to see if it needs changing. Changing it is rather cost prohibitive.

Paul
What I would suggest you do is to call your local Nissan dealership and see if they can examine the fluid in your CVT if you are that concerned. Most of the information I could come up with is all over the map regarding changing out the fluid in a CVT tranny.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer said checking the fluid is difficult and they recommend changing it every 3 years or 36,000 miles. Seems a bit excessive.

Paul

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When they list a change number it will be around 60K miles and then the transmissions still break when they want to. Nissan does not build reliable CVT until maybe the latest ones where they were forced to add some oldstyle standard ATX type features back to them to offload some of the CVT chain/pulley stress.

There is a software counter that the dealer resets when they change the fluid, it measures the amount of time the fluid has been run over a certain perceived 'danger' temperature and then they can diagnose whether to change the fluid early based on that number.

ALL car fluids can go bad with time, trans slower than engine but they still do. It is based on the hot/cold cycles and some of that occurs without the device even running as certain chemicals form once the fluids get used and then they change into other things worse with the time element even not being used. The worst one is water, which breathes in and out every day as water vapor through the breathers when the day temp goes up and down and then the water combines with certain fluid elements to make sludge acids which then eat metal parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts