Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i know this sounds really dumb but its a wuestion i need answered. I jsut picked up a 2012 versa hatchback manual and i know every engine is different but im sure its close enough to gauge it from there. Im new to manual so just getting use to know when to shift in this 6 speed would be great to know. pretty much I dont want to redline this but i dont want to under do it as well. i have footwork down just need to know more along the lines of the higher gears but all would be helpful as well. thanks people!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok, so even shifting earlier then when you "hear you car want the next gear" doesn't matter? people who taught me told me you have to listen to your engine and shift accordingly but maybe thats for someone more experienced than i am, or they're full of crap haha.
pretty much at the end of it i think what i wanted to ask was how do you shift to get best gas mileage? better question, no? if the answer is to keep it under 3000 rpms imma laugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool thanks guys, so that applies even with the higher gears, so im keeping all of my gears under 3000 rpm EXCEPT on the 6th gear? because thats the only one that will continue up in speed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
keeping it under 3000 rpms is included for A/T as well? when I'm feeling stingy I'll have it so it doesn't go above 2000 rpm for max gas, but how much will it hurt my mpg's if I go to 3000 rpms constantly? does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
I'm not sure. I usually don't keep up with MPGs. I do it to keep the engine healthy. As long as I fill up every 10 days or once a week I'm good with that.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
oh ok, so even shifting earlier then when you "hear you car want the next gear" doesn't matter? people who taught me told me you have to listen to your engine and shift accordingly but maybe thats for someone more experienced than i am, or they're full of crap haha.
pretty much at the end of it i think what i wanted to ask was how do you shift to get best gas mileage? better question, no? if the answer is to keep it under 3000 rpms imma laugh
The whole listen to the engine thing is more what comes with experience, as in after you get the feel of when you shift normally, which depends on how you drive, really, then you will just start to hear it and shift without thinking.

As for when you should shift, I typically shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm under normal driving. If I am going to wind it out a bit I will go up to 6000rpm. I just don't go past redline. You aren't going to destroy anything by revving it higher, if it wasn't designed to run at those speeds the redline would be lower. You will just hurt your mpg's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't tested my motor out yet because im still breaking her in, but most modern cars have rev limiters so you shouldn't be able to red line too hard. I agree with the above comments tho, 2500-3000 rpm is usually a pretty good range for most driving.

·
Registered
656 Posts
pending on location city its between 2500-3000 then if I'm on it between 3500-6000

·
Registered
257 Posts
MajorVersa- really you go up to 6K?? Highest I've pushed it is 5.5k when im accelerating onto the freeway here in SD. I try to avoid going any higher as I don't want to work the engine more than I need it to. Normally i try and keep it between 2.5K and 3.5K if im going for gas milage.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
When she won't rev any more, that's a good time to shift!
The rev limiter keeps the engine from damage...
...i hope...
...well that's my story and I'm sticking to it:D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
When she won't rev any more, that's a good time to shift!
The rev limiter keeps the engine from damage...
...i hope...
...well that's my story and I'm sticking to it:D
As long as the engine is warm you should be good to go! If it wasn't designed to be revved to 6500 (is that where redline is??? I can't remember) then the redline wouldn't be there!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
well, here is a video of me shifting gears from 1st to 6th :eatpopcorn:

based on traffic and trying to get good MPG :thumb2:

and at night time, same thing.
based on traffic and trying to get good MPG :thumb2:

nice and easy does it... :driving:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
That's great shifting there. I see how you're getting 34-37 MPG with a 1.8(not the greatest on gas).
YUUP! =)

I can go 360 miles with less than 10 gallons. I get 34MPG in the winter
and I hardly press the gas pedal. not even 1/2 way.
sometimes I go over 3,000RPM when getting on the highway and I need to hit 60MPH to be able match the speed of other cars.

:auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto:
HEHE

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As long as the engine is warm you should be good to go! If it wasn't designed to be revved to 6500 (is that where redline is??? I can't remember) then the redline wouldn't be there!
nissan makes very reliable cars, drive the heck out of it and have fun. dont worry about the motor it will be fine.
Yes:) Add this

Rev like this

Good to go:thumb2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yessir. Us 1.6 members only have 5 gears but it works the same way. I'd like to swap a 6spd tranny in there later on. :ihih:
I wouldn't , it's pretty useless. 5th and 6th gear are almost identical. If 6th was really tall and put the car at a better cruising rpm on the hwy, it's be nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts