Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 versa S

Where is the coolant drain at the bottom of the radiator?

I don't generally open the engine drain plug to change coolant.

I just drain from the radiator and repeat several times to get most of the old coolant out.

One my Sentra the drain plug is very easy to find, but I still have not ID'ed it in my 2007 Versa.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
for what it's worth, i also had a sentra, and never changed the coolant in it ever...no issues, just topped it up a few times per year. Oil changes only:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for what it's worth, i also had a sentra, and never changed the coolant in it ever...no issues, just topped it up a few times per year. Oil changes only:)
Big mistake to not change the coolant.

It has anticorrosion chemicals that wear out, get depleted.

The stuffs protect the engine block, radiator and water pump.

The old way was once every 24 months, but now I do it once every 36 months, better formulation.

Corrosion on the radiator inside tubing is the number one reason for overheating.

Most cars well maintained may need only one water pump replacement once for its life.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did a drain and fill on the coolant last summer, and if I remember correctly it did require a large phillips, so it may have been a #3. I think it was a plastic screw coming out of the bottom of the radiator in the middle.

I totally agree about the preventative maintenance thing also. Folks that don't keep their cars long term (which I describe as more than 5 years or over 100k miles) don't have to worry about the issues that come up from not maintaining their car properly, because the issues usually don't show up until later. I ignore their bad advice on these forums.

I like to work on my own cars, so once a year beginning at year 4 (which was only 50k miles on the V) I do the following:

Drain and fill coolant (takes one gallon of the Nissan coolant, which is then mixed 50/50 with distilled water).
Drain and fill auto tranny fluid (takes four quarts of the Nissan fluid for the 4 speed auto).

Every year regardless of age: (V is driven less than 15k per year)

Wiper blades.
Air and cabin filter.

Simple. Easy. Cheap, even with the official Nissan fluids. For less than $100 you have done all of the maintenance. I can't understand the $500 30k mile service jobs charged at the dealerships.
Except for oil changes and tire rotations you are done for the year. Nothing else to think about unless you have brakes reaching the end of their life.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
what depends more on the degradation of coolant, is it time or miles driven?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.