Nissan Versa Forums banner

Where to connect reverse power wires for backup camera

15K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  scarecrowdjinn 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Nissan Versa S hatchback. I thought that I would be able to remove the taillight assembly and connect the power wires for the camera at the reverse light. Unfortunately, all the wires at the taillight assembly are black, so I don't know which of the three that lead into the backup light would be positive, and which would be ground. Apparently newer models actually do have different colored wires at the taillight assembly, but mine are all black. I saw a video that showed a sedan, but I haven't been able to find anything on how to resolve this problem in the hatchback.

#6 ·
Can you pop the bulb socket out for the reverse lights and back trace which wire sends power to it?

Short of that (no pun intended), you could set the parking brake, put the ignition, put the car in reverse and probe the wires to see which is the reverse lamp power.

#10 ·
For Grounds, Use a Multi-meter, and put in on the "Ohms with alarm" Touch one wire at a time, and use the other lead off your Multi-meter to touch a good ground/metal part of your car.
If it beep's, it's most likely a ground.

** You might have already knew this, but I wanted to say it in case someone else was wondering. **
Basically the "Ohms alarm" tells you they the Multi-meter can successfully send some current through the wire, and receive that current through the car's (frame/body/metal). Meaning, that wire is tied to the car's "grounding system"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.