Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I want some bass in my versa, versus none.
Just want a basic setup--monochannel amp, 10" sub.

However, I want to keep my cargo space.
There are some seriously shallow-mount subwoofers & box ("loaded enclosure") combos available, but that still leaves me with where to put an amp.
Just bolt the amp to the back of the box? Or is there anywhere in this car to hide it? Maybe under the front seat, and run the speaker cables back under the trim to the sub...
And velcro the box to the carpet/seatback, so I can remove it when I need to lay the seats flat for cargo?

Where do you have your cables pop out of, to be the most concealed?
Only done one audio setup before, and that was in an old wagon-- I hid the entire box under the rear cargo hatch, there was so much excess space. The versa will be trickier.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

I've had my amp screwed to the box for years, no issues:thumb2:but this box does not use hatch space very efficiently.
I think I'm gonna cut it down by a third and mount it on its end to take up less space.:thumb2:
My cables will again be tucked under the door jamb, out of sight.
Power wire will enter firewall thru grommet beside the clutch pedal here

·
Registered
613 Posts
oh man if only i could show you the setup one of my friend's friend has in his VW that would work so perfect for you. He has an amp mounted on the back of his seats and has a 10" sub in a slim box that can easily be fitted somewhere so you can have all the space you would have originally in your v.

here is something similar, maybe even the same one he has! I betcha this will work well for you :) hope this helps

Pioneer 10" Slim Subwoofer System (TS-SWX251) : 10" Subwoofers - Best Buy Canada

oh and btw.. this thing sounds great! probably exactly like mine (and mine is a 10" in a huge box lol) but again gives you the benefit of not sacrificing space

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you just want "some" bass why not just replace the stock speakers with ones with higher wattage ones with a lower low-end frequency response?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bboy_Romeo, how did he go about mounting the amp into the seat?
I've only taken apart one seat back, once, on a volvo. I remember springs in front, foam throughout, and retaining clips everywhere to hold the cover on taut.
I suppose... there *might* be room to hide an amp completely inside the seat? Use sheet metal and sheet metal screws to make a bracket for it?
It's something i was thinking of.
Or if there's even room in the cushion.
I'd really have to find a small amp and take apart the seat to be sure! Or talk to the nissan service department to see if someone's already had one apart and know what it looks like on the inside :)

Better speakers... do they make small speakers that put out good bass these days?
I'm not "into" audio and don't know what's out there. I just know that the 4 and 5" speakers on my old car had *no* bass. I just assumed you needed a large speaker, to move the amount of air that bass requires?

·
Registered
613 Posts
sorry no idea how he mounted it, i only had a quick look at his setup. but i would think a slim sub and mounting your amp somewhere would be ideal for you. why not take a look at other v owner's profiles/ picture galleries and see how some others have mounted their amps or just in general of how they have their setup, that could help!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
on rear seats there is usually a hard backing that you can screw into to mount an amp. The amp doesn't go inside the seat, it is just screwed into it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bboy_Romeo, how did he go about mounting the amp into the seat?
I've only taken apart one seat back, once, on a volvo. I remember springs in front, foam throughout, and retaining clips everywhere to hold the cover on taut.
I suppose... there *might* be room to hide an amp completely inside the seat? Use sheet metal and sheet metal screws to make a bracket for it?
It's something i was thinking of.
Or if there's even room in the cushion.
I'd really have to find a small amp and take apart the seat to be sure! Or talk to the nissan service department to see if someone's already had one apart and know what it looks like on the inside :)

Better speakers... do they make small speakers that put out good bass these days?
I'm not "into" audio and don't know what's out there. I just know that the 4 and 5" speakers on my old car had *no* bass. I just assumed you needed a large speaker, to move the amount of air that bass requires?
I get an adequate amount of bass with my small speakers...think the ones in the back go down to like 30Hz or so, and they're higher wattage than stock (by like, 10x) which means they're louder.

Here is a 30hz signal for perspective. If all you're hearing is static distortion then your speakers don't go low enough. My headphones (Beats by dre studio) go pretty low, if you have a sub on your machine should go low too.

Anyway I say replacing stock speaker should be step 1 before head unit or sub. I am totally satisfied with were I am at right now after spending less than $150 total on front and rear speakers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know my reply is a bit too late, but depending on the amp's size, you can go under the front seats. Good thing is that you will run less wires and the amp will not take any space in your trunk. Just one thing: be sure to put it in something that will protect it from being kicked by other guys shoes... And protect it from water and ice.
I did this with an Alpine amp, it is installed under the passenger seat. I'll send you pictures of it.
Installing an amp on a subwoofer box never been a good idea... Imagine yourself trying to get the spare tire with all the wiring going to the box that can't be removed fast enough....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know my reply is a bit too late, but depending on the amp's size, you can go under the front seats. Good thing is that you will run less wires and the amp will not take any space in your trunk. Just one thing: be sure to put it in something that will protect it from being kicked by other guys shoes... And protect it from water and ice.
I did this with an Alpine amp, it is installed under the passenger seat. I'll send you pictures of it.
Installing an amp on a subwoofer box never been a good idea... Imagine yourself trying to get the spare tire with all the wiring going to the box that can't be removed fast enough....
totally agree! i'm currently working on installing an amp and installing it under the passenger seat. if your amp is slim enough, one should try to mount it on a board and then bracket the board down. under the seat is usually one of the lowest floor points in the cabin and you're certainly right about protecting it from your friends kicking it or getting any moisture on it.

another idea would be in addition to mounting the amp under the seat, would be making a port panel in the trunk. using 1/4" TRS ports mounted into one of the side panels, one could make one or 2 1/4" TRS (think guitar cable, or 1/4" headphones type plug) plug cables to easily plug in or remove when needing to pull out a sub box.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am thinking about installing a sub and was thinking that maybe a small sub like this:
Amazon.com: Pyle PLBASS8 8-Inch Super Slim Active Subwoofer: Car Electronics

Might be able to fit behind the plastic covering on the back hatch. Sound might not be great from back there though. Also, there might be a way to get it under the backseats, which could be good.

EDIT: Looked, there's noooo room under the back seats (accessed from the rear) and the hatch panel is quite small...maybe if you cut a hole in it? Anyway it still might be possible... would be tight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this is an old thread. But how did you get the cable through the grommet. And did you take out part of the engine components to get at it from the other side? I can't seem to see where the grommet comes out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use fiberglass and you can mount a normal 10" sub on the side of your hatch area. You can keep all of your storage area and not block access to your spare tire.

I have a pair of 10W6's and didn't lose any significant hatch area.

Amps easily fit under the front seats and stay cool and out of sight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here are the boxes for my subs before I put the subs in them:
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I ran my power and ground through the center console. I put 1/2" plywood under the carpet, mounted the amp to it and then bolted the seat down.

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is an old post but if you have any pics of this and speaker sizes I would like to see this. as I thought of this and just need to know the details to look for...
Thanks!= in advance!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts