Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The dealership said we should replace the brake pads very very soon otherwise the rotors will also go bad. My GF brakes ALOT when driving as she is really cautious. This is for a 2009 Versa 1.6 Sedan.

What brake pads do you guys suggest? Also, think I should just replace the rotors too while we are at it? Car is at 47k miles total (she does not drive far as she lives in a great location to work/stores). I am thinking Akebono ProACT pads?

Also, I am sure the rear shoes we do not have worry about until way later since this is first time her needing brake pads correct?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Im gay for ceramics myself. :nerd: I either go to advance auto napa or rockauto.com Napa may sell a set of friction reduction springs that could help for a few mpg. If the pedal does not pulse or vibrate then I would focus on bleeding the brakes or changing the fluid if that hasnt been done in a few years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could you kindly link me to the proper "friction reduction springs" from rockauto or Amazon?

Also, I ended up ordering Akebono's ProACT ACT815 and Centric Premium Rotors (120.42106) last night, since I have had great experience with that combo for years on our other cars.

Brake fluids were totally flushed in July 2015. Think it should be fine or should it be flushed again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Rust bucket? Im in Richmond, VA. Did you get the uncoating? Mines didnt come with it, but Im tempting to get an aftermarket treatment. Right now Im driving the gas guzzler as price of gas came down some.

You can give your nutz a quick spray of some spray paint to help slow or prevent rusting. Just give them a cleaning with a grease releaser, then dont hand them til you paint and it drys. You can use clear to keep the silver like color.

Next oil change Im rotating my tires so I can give the drums a good coat of black paint. >:D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, those brake springs are likely worthless.

Just looked at the pdf and another gimmick made for the suckers. It just never ends.

Consider this..............

Look how close the wire of them runs to the disc outer edge, I can see them wearing through that wire in nothing flat, well of course they won't work then. What about rocks and road trash hitting them to knock them off or even into your brake assembly to break something else? Pad vibration at slow roll may easily make them vibrate right off, they are literally held on by nothing.

And THIS.............with the pad 100% clear of the disc you will get ZERO wiping of the disc in rain, meaning the first time you brake after a long drive in rain you are likely to get a heart-in-the-mouth moment when the car suddenly takes 50-75 more feet before it even thinks about stopping. The disc lightly kissing keeps a big amount of water scraped off the disc during driving. Well of course they're not going to tell you that.........

They also describe the spring rate as so soft it does not affect braking, well yes, it would be. Likely though it is also soft enough to have one pad not touch but the other side will, that being the one opposite the piston, the spring will be weak enough that the caliper pin friction at caliper bracket will override the spring to have no effect at all. That material even if good spring steel is too small in diameter to have much effect based on how wide the opening is there.

You DO realize right, that having a clearance there can eat up another 25-40 feet in stopping distance simply by taking more time to eat that clearance up in a sudden stop? Why the caliper seals are INTENTIONALLY set up to make the pad rub just lightly, a kiss. A computer could likely measure the fuel wasted there but I freakin' guarantee you won't (as always there will be those that swear they do, they live in the walls). Add to that the pads commonly stop better with some heat in them, if never touching they will be stone cold. NOT good. Driving Grandma, yeah, not a panic stop.

So, when they said they don't effect braking, they only addressed a very small part of the issue. Typical.

Hey, what happens when the people who could not repeat make a McD's 1/4 pounder with cheese 5 times straight correctly get out and up in the world to do further damage..................no way would I be paying hard earned money for idiot things like that.

Just my opinion of course....................yours and do what you will, what you will do anyway right?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Wow...... Where do I start with a response?

Most hybrids use these springs as every bit of drag counts. Infact some go as far as use aluminum parts in the braking system to help save waste. Napa only includes them if you buy the top tier replacement parts for your capliators.

True performance cars activate the brakes when the rain sensor detects water to make sure they are ready to stop. On the other hand Nascar and many manufacturers who go for the epa test push the pads away from the rotors to reduce all the drag they can for max performance and mpg.

Ive used them, they help with rattles. Hard to tell friction part, but at least you get the placebo effect. :nerd:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Aluminum parts in braking systems?

Where have you been? Only for like the last 30+ years.................and much of it for the 20 before that. They've used plastic pistons in calipers now for over 30 years.

'Most hybrids use these springs as every bit of drag counts.'

Don't get me started.....................like drag even matters to morons who buy 6000 lb. SUVs with hybrid engines in them. Look up the definition of 'oxymoron'. And I daresay the OEM application will be better designed than that add-on crap, or even if on a Beemer or Mercedes I would be yanking them off in a flash.

50 other ways to stop brake rattle, you just have to think. Yeah, I know, the lemmings say it hurts. Never had the problem personally.

·
Registered
940 Posts
As much as I know that apples and oranges are not the same thing............................hhhmmmmmmm? Is that oxygen you are breathing right now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only way to know if you should change the shoes is to get in there and check them.
I do a lot of driving for work, and in my opinion ceramic pads are for cars with Z rated tires (or higher) I've used them you can use them, they will stop the car quickly but, they will also squeel and being the hardest option for pads, will also wear down the rotors faster.
I would not suggest them for some one who drives the way you have described.
Get the best rotors/drums and the cheapest pads/shoes, that way you won't have to replace expensive rotors/drums frequently.
Side note: the advanced auto pads i got for my versa hatch were about half the size of the factory nissan pads. (And not because they were the cheep ones I had them open one of each grade, they were all the same size)

·
Registered
3 Posts
RP from new thread elsewhere just in case:
When I braked to a stop after driving a bit, it would make a loud shuddering grinding kind of noise. If I brake SUPER gently it would stop.
The pads are as good as new, the rotors have been checked and are good, the car's got 30k on it, 2016 Note SV.
It started out minor and has progressively gotten worse in the last two weeks.
Last night it got so bad the car's handlig got squirrelly on the front end and it shuddered BADLY and tried to wander to the left, PLUS the Traction Control warning light came on.

The fluid level is good also. Was wondering if the ABS could be defective and throwing things off or something..otherwise I havent' got a clue.

Any ideas?
see linked video I uploaded to youtube. this is from 3 days ago and the problem is SIGNIFICANTLY worse now.
https://youtu.be/mdi0XGOV2sk
~NM

Also side note, any ideas for modifications to make it a more comfortable ride, especially for back seat passengers? going to add some noise insulation under the back seat and the rear cargo area soon, but wondering if there's anything that can be done with the rear shocks/springs to make things quieter/smoother.

PS-does this place not have active mods? SO MUCH SPAM-posting of gibberish from bots!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Double-posting same issue in more than one place is just as wasteful as spam.............

You got what sounds like ABS action striking up there, and more so if you feel the rat-tat-tat in the brake pedal when it does it. One wheel trying to lock up maybe, need to look closer at parts, may be stuck caliper or piston or something similar there. Loose parts allow a repeated windup and then give when the force limit is achieved that activates the ABS when the wheel action is not smooth. 'Squirrelly on front' and 'wander' says maybe front end has the issue.

FYI to others, after several years in parts I can attest to the fact that rotors lasting like they used to oldschool is pretty much a thing of the past. With the move to non-asbestos pads rotor life has dropped exponentially as the replacement semi-metallic used in most applications now is as hard as the rotor or close to it. Meaning, when you need to change the pads the rotors are commonly dead with severe wear too. One way the cheaper chain store parts help that along is to now make rotors that brand new out of box are nowhere near the OEM thickness to have them considered as worn out often in a month or less. Like someone above mentioned on the pads. I commonly measured house brand rotors that were only .010" thicker than the disc minimum thickness spec, they measure at almost bad right out of the box. Buy the much more expensive name brand part and you get a much thicker rotor............beware.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
So, when you brake does it pull left or right? When you accelerate does it pull in the opposite direction? Sounds like you got a frozen caliper.

Id take it to the dealer, but if out of warranty check both front brakes. You know, jack it up, try to see if tire rotates easily, check condition of parts and bleed brakes.

Your dash board looks too fancy to be a versa, at least from the one I have. :grin

It started out minor and has progressively gotten worse in the last two weeks. Last night it got so bad the car's handlig got squirrelly on the front end and it shuddered BADLY and tried to wander to the left, PLUS the Traction Control warning light came on.
Me, the harder and better I can stop, more gooder. I dont care if it wears the pads, shoes, drums or disks. Those arent that expensive or difficult to replace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just wanted to post an update. Granted this is for our 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan Non-ABS (Not sure if it is Base model since it is Automatic transmission, I think base is Manual?).

The Centric Premium 120.42106 rotors fit great. However, the Akebono ACT815 DOES NOT FIT this particular car. I believe those are for the Hatchback version. I ended up having to go to Advanced Auto Parts and the only high quality pads that fit were the Carquest Wearever Platnium pads PXD1345H. These pads seem fine so far and very quiet although next time I will probably go see what Napa has to offer.

In the future, for cars I am not familiar with for pads/rotors I will purchase them locally so I can exchange if needed. Also, anytime you have to make a return for a part that does not fit you always have to pay return shipping to Rockauto. Even though their catalog says it would fit. Then again Amazon and Advanced Auto's catalog shows that the Akebono's fit this car too. They need to add another level of filter where they also show Sedan or Hatchback.

Anyways just thought I would mention this to avoid others any trouble.

Edit: Just for clarity, the rotors DO fit. Also, I forgot to mention that the Disk Brake Hardware Kit CARLSON 13523Q also does not fit this car. I also believe that is for the hatchback.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Fight with rock auto, they will reduce the shipping. I say they should also update the catalog. Reply to the emails you get. You may go back and forth over a few days but you should get FREE shipping and they to say they will update the catalog. At least ask for a store credit.

How the rotors would not fit? They were too large in diameter? They would not fit over the studs?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I feel some of the mistakes are from lack of owner parts vetting, you of course look at whether Rock or others say the part fits but you have to be responsible enough to know what part you are looking for physically as well. That means looking close at all pictures suppiled as to location of fasteners, clocking of parts, left, right, top, bottom, etc. I have ordered literally thousands of parts online at Rock and others and getting the wrong part is simply not an issue. I can think of ONE time when it happened and I knew at the time there were unanswered questions that later turned out to be the kicker than made the part not fit. And I then modded the part to make it fit anyway, I knew already it could be done.

But then I worked auto parts for years and know all the mistakes that can occur there.

In my view if one orders the wrong part then he SHOULD pay for return shipping. I would certainly expect to. Catalog saying it will fit means nothing if the part pics show 3 holes where you need 4 or similar. Why you go further there. Say in the case of discs, you can measure on screen carefully using vernier calipers to tell if the disc is correct diameter if they show you a direct straight on view of the part. I do it all the time. Scale the numbers out if needed, why God put % buttons on calculators. You can get easily to within .060" (1/16").

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the update.

Fight with rock auto, they will reduce the shipping. I say they should also update the catalog. Reply to the emails you get. You may go back and forth over a few days but you should get FREE shipping and they to say they will update the catalog. At least ask for a store credit.

How the rotors would not fit? They were too large in diameter? They would not fit over the studs?
I'm just going to take the hit on the shipping, not worth my time to fight for $10 total loss. Next time I will buy pads local or Amazon that has better support.

The rotors fit perfectly fine, it was the pads that did not fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel some of the mistakes are from lack of owner parts vetting, you of course look at whether Rock or others say the part fits but you have to be responsible enough to know what part you are looking for physically as well. That means looking close at all pictures suppiled as to location of fasteners, clocking of parts, left, right, top, bottom, etc. I have ordered literally thousands of parts online at Rock and others and getting the wrong part is simply not an issue. I can think of ONE time when it happened and I knew at the time there were unanswered questions that later turned out to be the kicker than made the part not fit. And I then modded the part to make it fit anyway, I knew already it could be done.

But then I worked auto parts for years and know all the mistakes that can occur there.

In my view if one orders the wrong part then he SHOULD pay for return shipping. I would certainly expect to. Catalog saying it will fit means nothing if the part pics show 3 holes where you need 4 or similar. Why you go further there. Say in the case of discs, you can measure on screen carefully using vernier calipers to tell if the disc is correct diameter if they show you a direct straight on view of the part. I do it all the time. Scale the numbers out if needed, why God put % buttons on calculators. You can get easily to within .060" (1/16").
I have also ordered over a hundred parts for our various cars over the years. This is the first time I ordered something that catalog said was compatible but was not. It even said the pads are for 1.6 Versa Non-ABS which ours is, so was surprised when it still did not fit the car. Then again this is first time I ordered brake components for a Nissan. We normally go with Toyota, Lexus or Honda and never had this problem before.

Also, the picture is great and all but not everyone has the time to take off the brake pad before, compare it with picture online and order, then install back old brake pad, then to do it all over again when the new pad gets shipped. That's the point of the catalog so people do not have to do that.

Anyways, I learned my lesson here. Unlike you who "But then I worked auto parts for years and know all the mistakes that can occur there." You clearly have more experience then I, a simple average consumer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
5 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing