Nissan Versa Forums banner

Which Replacement Battery?

181K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  jacobhannigan2018 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

My GF took her 2009 Versa Base to the dealership for a routine oil change and the 21-point inspection. They said the battery needs to be replaced; it is the original one.

I will replace the battery myself to save money, as the dealership wanted $158. However, after reading this thread, I want confirmation that a Kirkland or Walmart EverStart Maxx battery will properly fit her Versa. I plan to use the T5 size.

Thank You!

#2 ·
Ok, as I feared that thread was correct! :c(

I went to Costco, and in the battery selector booklet it said that the Kirkland 51R or 90 battery model would work with the 2009 Versa. They did not have the 90 in stock, so I went with the 51R. Sadly, the 51R is too thin and does not have the molds in the casing itself to properly mount in the Versa without moving around. I had to return the battery.

I then went to Walmart and the EverStart Maxx T5 had the grooves at the bottom. It is a bit of a bigger battery thus it was a tight fit but it worked perfectly with the crappy Nissan mounting bracket. Battery cost $110. 5 year warranty plan, 3 years replacement and last 2 years is pro-rated.

Thought I would post this up to save hassle for others.

#5 ·
I recently replaced my 6-year old original battery in 2010 Nissan Versa. Went to pepboys and their parts computer suggested a battery that in no-way would fit in my versa. So the Pepboys employee pulled out a tape measure and got a Bosch with the same dimensions as my old one. CCA was similar enough, and the battery fit with the nissan battery holder clamp. So far, so good...

#6 ·
Update: As of 2016 the Walmart Everstart Maxx T5 still fits and connects well with the footing in the 2007 Versa. Just thought I would keep this good thread updated.

BTW to remove the battery you will need a 6 to 7 inch ratchet extension to reach the bolt that holds the battery in, as it's located in tight 6 inch slot between the battery and fuse box.

#7 ·
I don't know why Nissan says a 51R is the right one? I feel bad for all of the auto parts dealers, ad of course, customers.

Walmart "installed" (it was swimming in the battery compartment; not secured) a 51R EverStart battery. I can't believe they left it that way.

I returned it for a 121R, which fits perfectly. Thanks; I should have followed your guidance above.

#9 · (Edited)
found out today that Interstate brand batteries that fit the Versa are only sold to Nissan dealers and then tells the world that the 51R is the correct model if you have the CVT. Well they do not fit. I had heard of a T4 battery so I went to Walmart, they told me the book says a 51 R an I said no do you have a T4, he said no but I have a T5. he brought one out and it measured perfect I took it home and is is a perfect fit bolts down securely and every was a exact match. I beleive that covers 2001 to 2015

Again the Walmart EverStart T 5 is a perfect fit
So is it the 121R or T5? Or both? What is the CCA rating for the stock battery?

#8 ·
found a compatible battery for a 2012 versa with cvt

found out today that Interstate brand batteries that fit the Versa are only sold to Nissan dealers and then tells the world that the 51R is the correct model if you have the CVT. Well they do not fit. I had heard of a T4 battery so I went to Walmart, they told me the book says a 51 R an I said no do you have a T4, he said no but I have a T5. he brought one out and it measured perfect I took it home and is is a perfect fit bolts down securely and every was a exact match. I beleive that covers 2001 to 2015

Again the Walmart EverStart T 5 is a perfect fit

#13 ·
Autozone's website currently recommends the T4 for all variants of the 2014-16 Versa Note as well as Manual Transmission Versa Sedan.

For the 2014-16 Versa Sedan with CVT, Autozone's website still suggests the 51R, which we know is incorrect. Walmart's website still suggests the 51R for all variants, and as others have observed, the 51R is simply too small.

I'm willing to bet the CVT sedans take the T4 as well, Autozone just haven't updated the battery description across all variants yet.

If the T5 fits the bracket and doesn't cost much more, that's probably what I'll get. A few extra CCA won't hurt anything, and might actually come in handy.

So we need to be shopping for T4 or T5 size batteries... Thanks for the heads-up!

#16 ·
More water will NOT make it worse but likely waited too long there. Once the tops of plate are exposed and run for a while the battery generally does not come back.

One thing I DO suspect is that the battery companies are conserving battery acid by not filling the batteries all the way up to the correct level any more. Meaning, if you fill to what looks right, usually to the bottom of the cap tube opening then you will have too much water and the acid will be weak. Start looking at the brand new battery fill level and you'll see what I'm talking about, they don't fill many of them all the way up any more. Another fine way to shorten product life to get more sales that is. It's the new American Way under Mr. TrXXX...........'we call that good business'.

If I don't like that level I fill mine up more with acid/water to my liking there. But of course you have to have some on hand.

#18 ·
Join nicoclub.com and download the OEM service manuals for free-they tell you the actual OEM battery needed there.

I tend to almost never use the recommended one, instead fitting up my cars to do a lot of battery cross-swapping and also picking those which are commonly up to $40 less but the same CCA and warranty. It's stupid to use the correct specialty battery just 'because it fits', how you waste big money.

#20 ·
Guys - I decided to replace the battery in my Versa today and the 51R-60 is so far off ... no way. IDK where that comes from, but somebody needs to correct the record!

I took the OEM battery with me to Rural King and found that the 42-60 is closest to stock. Same height, same depth front to rear, but an inch wider (which is not a problem - it could've been 2" wider still, and would still have fit). Terminals are right where they need to be.

The 42-60 is the same price as the 51R-60, but it has more power: 500 CCA vs. 425 (OEM battery is 470) and 600 CA (not sure OEM). If it gets as cold as I think it will this winter, I'll be grateful for the added oomph.

https://www.ruralking.com/battery-42-60-cca-500.html

#21 ·
2010 Versa 5dr HB I4 CVT 1.8 SL

I needed a battery. Original Nissan battery had 51R label. Read earlier posts to this thread and was convinced I needed to purchase EverStart Maxx T5 from Walmart due to incorrect label. Seemed larger when I carried out of the store, but I was still convinced I had the correct battery. When I tried to install, the T5 was too wide. It was around 6.8" and the most the tray could hold was 5.5". Walmart didn't have any 51Rs left, so off to AutoZone. Picked up a 51R and it was identical to the factory original.

The 51R fit my Versa perfectly. The battery tray is plastic and just sits in housing. (It's removable) There is a bar with two "J" hooks with 10mm nuts. The same size as the terminal contacts.

The other issue I ran into was I had a flashing red key on the dash. I couldn't start with the FOB. I had to use physical key. I couldn't lock the doors. (It almost seemed like I had a dead FOB battery) To resolve, I had to lock the car using internal arm rest button, open with the physical key and then the FOB was recognized. Back to normal.

In my opinion, the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) requires the 51R and non-CVTs require the T5.

I hope this helps someone else.

#22 ·
I hope I can solve the "T4" dilemma: after much research the elusive size T4 Battery was right under my nose all along. Johnson Controls makes the T4...under their CHAMPION line of Batteries....go right to any PEP BOYS and there it was IN STOCK and ON THE SHELF! Don't want to sound like a Pep Boys commercial but they did me right this time. Order it on line and p/u in the store and you'll get a 25% discount to boot! Hope this helps

#24 ·
2016 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6l engine

Thank you so much for everyone's help! After multiple calls to mechanic who scheduled me to come in to get my battery changed (I had called a week earlier to schedule my app) he then proceeded to tell me right before I went that actually they had to order my battery because they didn't have it and would call me back (they never did). I stumbled with this thread and helped me decide what battery to buy and I also found a video tutorial on YouTube and changed it myself in about an hour.

I originally ordered the Everstart Maxx T5 on Walmart but they cancelled my order since my store actually didn't have it in stock.... I then went on Advance Auto Parts website, for my car it shows the "correct fit" is the AutoCraft Gold Battery T4, 470 CCA but I did not like this has a low Cold Cranking Amps since the reason my battery was dying is because of the cold weather so I went ahead and ordered the AutoCraft Gold Battery T5, 650 CCA which was a perfect fit! You can feel the difference when you start the car. Anyway using the desktop google chrome extension Honey it found me a 25% off coupon and I was able to get it for $152 total and once I take in my old battery should get $22 back from the battery deposit.

One thing to note, they have free installation at AAP but they told me on the phone for my car it showed it had to be installed by a mechanic (mechanic had told me I could even do it myself) only reason they say that is because you have to unscrew a piece to be able to get to the battery which takes a bit longer but you can truly do it yourself, no need to know anything about cars.

Here is the tutorial I used:

#28 ·
I just replaced my 2015 Nissan Versa Note SV battery today. I live in Toronto, Canada. The first shop I visited was Canadian Tire. They told me they don't have the battery for my car in their system but they can measure and find something that can fit if I could bring the battery to the store... so I did but when they saw the battery they realized that they don't have the one with the extra thing at the bottom to make it securely fit. Disappointed. The next place I visited was Costco. They found me the one that matches to the spec but again that batter doesn't have the extra thing at the bottom so that won't work for me. My entire morning was gone just like that and I decide to call Nissan dealership. Of course they have the exact thing and to my surprise the price was very reasonable with $159. The dealership is 15 min away from me. I bought the battery at the dealership right away and follow the video instruction prins716 shared with us here and got it replaced in less than 30. min! Thanks prins716.

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Family car

#31 ·
I'm very thankful for this thread. I have a 2015 Versa Cube CVT. I got the 51R from Costco and the fit is a joke. Sooo not the right battery.

After reading the thread, I went and traded the 51R for a T5. It's an excellent fit with the plastic bits at the bottom to secure the battery. I looked at Walmart and the T5 there was another $40 ($110 vs $150,) so I decided to stick with Interstate Battery via Costco.

Thanks, everyone!

#33 ·
Ancient thread here, but still relevant. I too nearly fell victim to the 51R replacement battery. Hard to believe after all these years, this is the battery size/group recommendation that STILL shows being the "exact fit" replacement for a 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6s. This battery isn't even close for any Versii I've seen.

I picked up an EverStart Maxx 650 CCA T5 from walmart for ~$150. It should hopefully be an upgrade over the factory 470cca battery. I would have gotten the lower CCA T4 had they had one in stock. Most parts store and name brand T4's are over $200 these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.