Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm not entirely dissatisfied with my 2015 S because for what it is it's a great little car. Sure, 5th gear could be a bit taller (or perhaps just use the 6 speed from previous models) and the air conditioner isn't the best I've had (but is acceptable in the 80's.... 90's will see its real test of ability) but I'm just trying to figure out why it is that:

*If you want a manual, you have to get an S
*There are NO options available for the S

There's a couple of things I usually can't live without, one of them is cruise control. And some other things that I enjoy having, like fog lights. But there's no option, or even PROVISIONS, for either.

When I inquired to Nissan USA about this, they pretty much told me to go kick rocks and if I install an aftermarket cruise, it voids the factory warranty.

Why!?

I mean not why on the warranty thing, I mean why on intentionally building the car in such a manner that I can't simply Lego-brick my Note into the way I want and/or just order one that way from the factory? Is this Nissan's way of FORCING people into a CVT to get options they want and reduce sales on the stick shift, therefore giving them an excuse to phase it out entirely?

I love this little hatchback but Nissan's seriously holding her back. And rowing my own gears, however notchy they may be if I don't double-clutch every shift, is part of this little hatchback's brilliance.

I'm not mad, Nissan. I'm just disappointed.:crying:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Howdy... Welcome.

I like my Note. It's no race car, but I think it's fun to drive. I don't feel like Nissan screwed me over. In fact, I think they're subtly hinting that I need a raise! :wink

2016 Nissan 370Z® Coupe Sports Car | Nissan USA

ps. I think mods voiding the warranty is fairly standard. You have a choice. You can wait three years and then tweak, or face the fact that you're going to tweak, and get a head start!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay, I'm not entirely dissatisfied with my 2015 S because for what it is it's a great little car. Sure, 5th gear could be a bit taller (or perhaps just use the 6 speed from previous models) and the air conditioner isn't the best I've had (but is acceptable in the 80's.... 90's will see its real test of ability) but I'm just trying to figure out why it is that:

There's a couple of things I usually can't live without, one of them is cruise control. And some other things that I enjoy having, like fog lights. But there's no option, or even PROVISIONS, for either.

When I inquired to Nissan USA about this, they pretty much told me to go kick rocks and if I install an aftermarket cruise, it voids the factory warranty.

Why!?

I mean not why on the warranty thing, I mean why on intentionally building the car in such a manner that I can't simply Lego-brick my Note into the way I want and/or just order one that way from the factory? Is this Nissan's way of FORCING people into a CVT to get options they want and reduce sales on the stick shift, therefore giving them an excuse to phase it out entirely?

I love this little hatchback but Nissan's seriously holding her back. And rowing my own gears, however notchy they may be if I don't double-clutch every shift, is part of this little hatchback's brilliance.

I'm not mad, Nissan. I'm just disappointed.:crying:
+1 on all you said Masterofmadness. Seems counter intuitive, I think Nissan is definitely trying to get people to upgrade to a CVT w/options. More money!!! Q

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
173 Posts
There were very few options on my 2014 Versa Note S Plus. I wanted power windows and door locks but I would've had to get the SV. I passed on the SV because I didn't want all the bells and whistles that came standard on the SV like Bluetooth, leather wrapped steering wheel, remote keyless entry, "upgraded" cloth seat trim, etc. I like the regular cloth seats on my S Plus better than the "upgraded" cloth anyways. Basically, I had to get all or nothing when choosing power windows/locks. As you can see, I chose "nothing".

I considered the 5-speed manual on the S as well but the super short 5th gear was a turn-off for me.

+1 on all you said Masterofmadness. Seems counter intuitive, I think Nissan is definitely trying to get people to upgrade to a CVT w/options. More money!!! Q
I heard that one reason that the number of manual transmissions is declining in new cars is that it costs extra for factories to have the capability to manufacture both manual transmissions and automatic transmissions (whether the automatics are conventional, dual-clutch, or CVT). It costs less for car factories to only make automatic transmissions than it does for a car factory to have the capability of making both automatics and manuals, even if a manual is less costly than an automatic in practice.

Reactions: Notarized

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
173 Posts
I think we will soon see manual transmissions marketed as a "premium" option. Instead of costing less than a CVT/Automatic, they'll cost more.
I believe they already cost more for luxury cars, like BMWs.

Reactions: Notarized

·
Registered
80 Posts
When self-driving cars are introduced en masse, they'll cost more at first too, but gradually they'll come down in price until they're cheaper than cars for human drivers.

It's only a matter of time before cars that "allow" a human driver will be considered a premium luxury as well.

These ARE the good old days! :wink

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I bought my 13 I refused to have the cvt and 5spd so the 4spd was my only option. I didnt want any features really, but lacking cruise and an arm rest bug me to this day, nearly 4yrs later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was kinda' disappointed at the lack of some options (I really like that bright blue offered on the SV), but the plain-Jane-ness of the S is it's charm.
I really wanted a basic car, with a manual transmission, and it delivered, and was more comfortable to boot.

I notice Ford offers the manual across the full line of the Fiesta. I suspect a lot of that has to do with all the problems they had with their dual-clutch transmission though.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
173 Posts
I was kinda' disappointed at the lack of some options (I really like that bright blue offered on the SV), but the plain-Jane-ness of the S is it's charm.
I really wanted a basic car, with a manual transmission, and it delivered, and was more comfortable to boot.

I notice Ford offers the manual across the full line of the Fiesta. I suspect a lot of that has to do with all the problems they had with their dual-clutch transmission though.
Are you referring to metallic blue? I was able to get metallic blue on my S Plus (basically an S with a CVT).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you referring to metallic blue? I was able to get metallic blue on my S Plus (basically an S with a CVT).

I know this is a hatchback, but I see an SV sedan in this color every day on my way to work. As far as I know though the "S" (not S-plus) only comes in black, white, dark blue, and gunmetal gray. Mine's gray, and of those choices, I'm happy with that, but a bright color would have been nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Howdy... Welcome.

I like my Note. It's no race car, but I think it's fun to drive. I don't feel like Nissan screwed me over. In fact, I think they're subtly hinting that I need a raise! :wink

2016 Nissan 370Z® Coupe Sports Car | Nissan USA

ps. I think mods voiding the warranty is fairly standard. You have a choice. You can wait three years and then tweak, or face the fact that you're going to tweak, and get a head start!
Yeah, the 2017 300ZX twin turbo with the VR30DDTT engine from the Q50 Red Sport is going to be a blast! ...Oh, wait, they have no plans to doing that.

Bummer, but that's okay, I'll step up to an Altima SE-R coupe. 6 on the floor, wicked! Oh, wait, they dropped that model, too.

...well, that's alright, I can still get some sport and a lot of practicality with the SE-R that started it all, the Sentra!

...wait, that's gone too.

But hey, I can grab a Versa SR... yeah, super sporty! ...except CVT only.

Nissan really dropped the ball. :|

Side note on the gearing, I kind of like it now, with 4 uber passengers in the car you're still in the power band at ~63 MPH (my freeway speed) and not burning up a bunch of fuel. Plus, it's kind of a tease.... The car's almost saying to me, "You know, you could actually redline me in 5th if you just add enough boost." ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh, wait, they have no plans to doing that.

Oh, wait, they dropped that model, too.

...well, that's alright...

...wait, that's gone too.

But hey, I can grab a Versa SR... yeah, super sporty! ...except CVT only.

Nissan really dropped the ball. :|

I hear what you're saying, but I'm satisfied and I don't feel screwed me over. I guess posting that in thread about being screwed over makes me a curmudgeon!

Mine has needed a few wrinkles ironed out under warranty, but otherwise it has been everything I expected. I can't afford that fancy stuff anyway... At least not yet!

I haven't redlined mine, but on Texas highways, it will do 75-80 mph all day long... It just takes a while to get up there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gotta stay in the powerband and bang off shifts at the mark. Double clutching helps a lot! I love how quickly this car pulls off from a dead stop! You should be able to get to 80 without hitting throttle cut in 3rd, pretty sure 6,500 is good for 85-ish MPH.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gotta stay in the powerband and bang off shifts at the mark. Double clutching helps a lot! I love how quickly this car pulls off from a dead stop! You should be able to get to 80 without hitting throttle cut in 3rd, pretty sure 6,500 is good for 85-ish MPH.
Drive it like you stole it! Redline is 6500 RPM... Double clutching AND redlining? Sounds like you're not planning on keeping yours very long.

I was doing 85 MPH today in 5th gear. RPMs were right around 4K.

When I'm ready for a race car, I'll get one. In the meanwhile, I'll treat my Note like the humble, fuel efficient family car that it is.

I'm nutty like that... :wink

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think we will soon see manual transmissions marketed as a "premium" option. Instead of costing less than a CVT/Automatic, they'll cost more.
This is how I see it. Most car makers by now only have a manual options with the base trim. Not surprising since the average driver does not care about driving a manual. I won't be surprised if soon we have to pay extra to get a manual while the CVT/Auto will be the norm. As long as we still have options for manual cars I'll be happy. I don't mind having manual everything in my car. Just less crap to break down over the years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drive it like you stole it! Redline is 6500 RPM... Double clutching AND redlining? Sounds like you're not planning on keeping yours very long.

I was doing 85 MPH today in 5th gear. RPMs were right around 4K.

When I'm ready for a race car, I'll get one. In the meanwhile, I'll treat my Note like the humble, fuel efficient family car that it is.

I'm nutty like that... :wink
97% of the time I'm getting blown off the road by everyone else, lazily shifting at 2,200.

Just, you know, when it's time to move, it's time to move. The acceleration is there, you just gotta squeeze it out of the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I bought my 13 I refused to have the cvt and 5spd so the 4spd was my only option. I didnt want any features really, but lacking cruise and an arm rest bug me to this day, nearly 4yrs later.
you can switch seats and put an aftermarket cruise control

·
Registered
216 Posts
remusrm said:
you can switch seats and put an aftermarket cruise control
Thats my attitude. My #1 reason for buying a new car at all was so that I could get something new under warranty to drive. Four wheels and a seat, thats all I need. Everything else like AC is a bonus. Everything else that I want that the car doesn't have I can add myself. Car modding is not for everyone but I find it very enjoyable and then I get things just the way I want them. My girlfriend got a new car and she got factory remote start. Pretty sweet! I am obviously doing aftermarket remote start. The downside is now I have a big project, the upside is I am going to have more range and features than her because I bought a high end system with two-way remote.

I see this car as a mostly blank canvas ready to be modded and improved. I have no fear of losing any warranty. Certainly if I hack up the ignition switch wiring and then have a problem with the ignition later, I would not ask them to warranty that part that I meddled with. But if I add in remote start and then have a premature rear wheel bearing failure, they will warranty the bearing. They will warranty anything whose premature failure cannot be traced back to or associated with my aftermarket mods, that is their legal obligation and this has been upheld in many courts.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Err, I like mines. Sure, you can get other options, then its a twenty thousand dollar car. I got mines for 11,2 so I cant complain.

My ac, I can hang meat in my car. I open the door and my eye glasses fog over.

I like the lower 5th gear makes acceleration from 50-85 quicker. At one time it was pretty common to install a lower 5th gear for a higher top speed.

I got a china made fog lamp kit for under 100 bucks. Just wire the relay into the lamps so its dot legal.

Cruse control is pnp and 300 bucks. Im on the fence about it as I have a lot of traffic to deal with and basically follow the car in front of me.

Am I the only one upset at the lack of sway bars, exhaust and other aftermarket parts for this car or am I looking in the wrong areas? Id like a rear sway bar, megan exhaust to name a few.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts