Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand how newer cars can be more rust proof with thinner paint. And if your primer coat is exposed because of a chip will it still protect the metal? Thanks I just had these things on my mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah it does seem pretty thin, and I'm not sure of the answer but I do think it is important to parch up chips on the metal. I know I need to do it before I start to rust! :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nope... that Nissan paint sux. It's also not just the Versa. The 350Z I have been working on has poor paint too. It seems that most JDM cars have weak paint. My Ford believe it our not, has nice paint.

The BMW, Audi's and VW's I have owned, seem to have MUCH better paint. Pay for what you get I guess...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope... that Nissan paint sux. It's also not just the Versa. The 350Z I have been working on has poor paint too. It seems that most JDM cars have weak paint. My Ford believe it our not, has nice paint.

The BMW, Audi's and VW's I have owned, seem to have MUCH better paint. Pay for what you get I guess...
Wait a second tho the Nissan Rogue has really good paint from what I have seen on my parents Rogue. I wouldn't say Nissan paint is that bad as other automakers more than likely use the same paint company.

·
Registered
132 Posts
car paint

I think the reason behind it is that they want the new owner to replace the paint easily if in case they don't like the color. You may get star brite from cheap auto parts.com.
_________

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
It's all about cost savings. They do a cheaper job. I have plenty of rust spots from chipped paint on my 2009 Versa. I don't even think they used primer :)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
It's all about cost savings. They do a cheaper job. I have plenty of rust spots from chipped paint on my 2009 Versa. I don't even think they used primer :)
Rust already? Eek. I would not be a happy camper if this happened. I touched up the chips on the front bumper and nothing has rusted yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
yup every chip is a nice rusty color. My old nissans when they chipped you would see white. Which I can only assume is some sort of primer. That never rusted. On the Versa every chip you can see metal and within a short time it turns rusty. I don't touch up or even wash the car :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but my wife's 2010 Versa already got rusted with those chipped paint spots. The paint seem to be so thin. *sigh* I am a Nissan guy, but probably go with dif. brand for her soon.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I heard due to environmental reasons auto paints have changed formula's. They are better for the earth but horrible otherwise. This is across all manufacturers. Some companies are just good with the prep and priming of the vehicles. I don't think Nissan is one of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 07 Audi A6 has few deep scratches (metal shows) for couple of years now and still seeing the metal part w/o rust. Could be the preps and materials like Rob said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts