Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Versa sedan has been in the shop the past couple of weeks recovering from a rear end collision. Enterprise brought out a '12 Versa S Hatch. It is black and has 27,000 miles. Here's what's wrong with the rental car.

1. Almost a quart low on oil.
2. Radio tune >> button doesn't work.
3. Radio power button pops out when you turn on/off the power to radio.
4. Cap on the master cylinder is missing.

Item 4 is disturbing. The color of the brake fluid is black. There is a small screen thing that fits down in the neck of the master cylinder. It is full of dead bugs and grit. The cap has obviously been missing for a long time. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and this fluid has absorbed a bunch of moisture. I base this on the color of the fluid, which is supposed to be basically clear. It won't be long before all of the major brake components start to fail. Things like the master cylinder, the caliper pistons, the wheel cylinders, will all have major issues in the future. Who ever is unfortunate enough to buy this car will have large dollar brake repair issues to deal with. Pure neglect.

The clock on the radio is an hour off. I looked in the owners manual to see how to reset the clock, and the radio in the car is not shown in the owners manual. The manual shows two other radios with very different controls. Odd.

Not much has changed in the five years of the Versa (not counting the new sedan). The few changes I have seen between the 07 and 12.

1. power locks automatically lock and unlock on the '12.
2. The little blue light on the dash that goes out when the engine warms up is gone.
3. Oil capacity has gone from 4.125 quarts down to 3.375 quarts based on what I read in the owners manual. That is not much oil in the crankcase.
4. Recommended tire pressure as shown on the door jamb has gone from 33 to 35 psi, for the exact same tire size.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't understand why there's no update on the 2013 versa hatch
Hopefully the 2014 model will be changed.

And you should never buy a rental Car, unless you have to....even if the rental company takes care of the car, most renters don't. I've rented a Chevy Impala (not by choice) with nearly bald tires before, returned it that day for an Altima, Altima was much better.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
There's a lot of reasons why we shouldn't buy old rentals. I had a rental earlier this year and all I did was beat on it. :shrug:

BluV3R18...I agree. Last year when the 2012 sedan came out in August both local Nissan dealerships had quite a few of them. This doesn't make since. Are they discontinuing the Versa? I hope not. Its a good car. At least mine is.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
My Altima was a two year rental. At 90000km, had crack in block between cylinders 1 and 2, likely caused by excessive heat, likely caused by hot driving and poor coolant or oil levels. There were no obvious symptoms when we bought it at 74000km. Rentals risky!
After we provided our documentation that oil changed were done properly since our purchase, Nissan Canada honoured their warranty and installed brand new engine, using old alternator, starter, A/C etc of course.
I know I posted this failure earlier, but it's worth rementioning for sure that rentals are risky, and Nissan's powertrain warranty is just what the doctor ordered:)
BTW my Versa was a lease return, so far so good
The compromised brake system you mentioned is truly scary!

·
Registered
440 Posts
You NEVER should buy a rental! People beat the crap out of them and rental companies don't care because they sell them with relatively low miles.

I just got my Versa back on Tuesday and I had a new VW Jetta rental for over 2 weeks and I beat the living daylights out of that thing! Flooring it when it was still cold, spinning the tires all the time, and fwd drifting! I would say a good portion of people do the same and this reduces the life of a vehicle. Therefore, buying a rental is not an intelligent choice.

As far as #3 I agree. I couldn't believe it only takes 3.3 quarts on my Versa...but a 1.6L is a very small motor to say the least.

#4 - Tire pressure isn't based on anything other than a good balance between comfort and gas mileage when applicable. I worked at Firestone Complete Autocare for 14 months so we had to know EVERYTHING about their tires and whatnot. Our store was #1 in our region for tire sales...to get an idea we recieved a load of 300-500 tires every week....and I had to unload, stack, and put up every single one. Manufactures choose their tire pressure based on a variety of things from load capacity, mileage, comfort, and tire longetivity (if they care).

·
Registered
130 Posts
i bought my 2010 versa as a rental car from hertz with 30k miles and a free new set of tires for 10k$ total. so far so good, internally and externally. i've come across i believe only two problems, my bumper clips on the right headlight were broken, and the passenger air vent had a mysterious screw that wasnt in the FSM. somehow it screwed the top most piece into the bottom peice from the inside, so i had to disassemble the entire passenger side of the dash lol sorry to hear your experience wasn't good

also how do u know when the engine/engine oil is warmed up if there is no more light??

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had no idea these vehicles previously had this blue light. My 2012 does not.

Warming a vehicle up differs from person to person. To me, I start it up and drive very "easy" on the car for the first 5-10 miles. Slow acceleration, turning, braking, etc. When a motor is cold the pistons/internals are not at the proper sizing/operating conditions. This is why you NEVER want to WOT a vehicle when it is cold as it will cause excess wear and tear. However, I don't like letting a vehicle idle to warm up because it is a waste of gas and takes much longer for the vehicle to get to operating temperature which means there is more "Wearing" going on. Also, itll warm up faster if you do not have the heat on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had no idea these vehicles previously had this blue light. My 2012 does not.

Warming a vehicle up differs from person to person. To me, I start it up and drive very "easy" on the car for the first 5-10 miles. Slow acceleration, turning, braking, etc. When a motor is cold the pistons/internals are not at the proper sizing/operating conditions. This is why you NEVER want to WOT a vehicle when it is cold as it will cause excess wear and tear. However, I don't like letting a vehicle idle to warm up because it is a waste of gas and takes much longer for the vehicle to get to operating temperature which means there is more "Wearing" going on. Also, itll warm up faster if you do not have the heat on.
I just floor it from startup ¯\(°_o)/¯

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both a 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback & also a 2012 Nissan Versa Sv sedan & love them both. However there are a certain group of people that only like american cars & will trash "Japanese" cars whenever they get the chance. I was watching some youtube videos on the 2012 Versa before I bought mine & saw a comment from one of these people that read:
"I can't wait to rent a 2012 Versa so I can treat it like the piece of crap that it is". This is why I hesitate at buying a rental because everybody wants a Mercedes but are pissed when the get a compact like the Versa & take it out on the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally, I don't understand why people go out of their way to beat up rental cars. Why try to ruin something just to be a jerk? I've only used rental cars few times, but I've always treated them as if they were my own vehicle.

Personally, if I was given a rental car with a missing brake fluid reservoir cap and brake fluid in that condition, I'd be demanding they give me another car. That's downright dangerous. Last thing you want is the brakes to fail while you're driving it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The missing brake master cylinder cap isn't an immediate safety concern. As long as the brake fluid level is high enough so when you step on the brake pedal, activating the piston to compress the fluid that you aren't compressing air into the sytem, you aren't creating a danger. Stepping on the brake pedal does not blow fluid out of the master cylinder just because the cap is missing.

The safety issue is more of a long term problem. The brake fluid in this rental is contaminated with water from the atmosphere and some dirt. Over time the caliper pistons and wheel cylinders (rear brakes) will rust and the seals will fail and these parts will need to be replaced. The same thing will probably happen to the master cylinder also. This will not happen during this short time I am in this rental car. It will be a problem for the person who buys the car. Most cars never need these parts replaced during the life of the vehicle.

While I understand Woogie's comments, it is enough of a hassle taking off from work, getting several estimates for repairs, dropping the car off, dealing with Enterprise, all from an accident that was entirely someone else's fault. I don't have time to trade out cars with Enterprise when it is not a safety concern. My son is a mechanic, I am an Engineer who has worked on cars for 30+ years. If I encountered an actual safety issue with a rental that would affect my safe operation of the car, I would have gone back to Enterprise and demanded a different vehicle. I have done that in the past.

Anyway, I am scheduled to pick up my 07 from the shop today and turn in the rental Versa. I am planning on pointing out the problem with the missing brake cap to Enterprise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
update

So I drop the rental Versa off at Enterprise. The young lady asks if I was satisfied with the car. I inform her of the problem with the missing brake master cylinder cap, fully realizing she has no clue what I am talking about. She brushes it off as if I was complaining about the color of the vehicle. I make one last effort and recommend to her that the problem get fixed prior to renting it out again as it is something related to the brakes. She informs me she added a note in the computer.

Personally, I don't understand why people go out of their way to beat up rental cars. Why try to ruin something just to be a jerk? I've only used rental cars few times, but I've always treated them as if they were my own vehicle.
Another Enterprise employee is assigned to drive me to the repair shop. We get in this nice new Dodge Caravan. He starts it up and puts it in drive when someone runs out of the office and tells the guy someone just called and needs the van. The driver shuts off the car and tries to remove the key. It won't come out. He pulls harder, then with two hands on the key and a knee on the dash he is giving it his all to get the key out. I politely tell him that the van may need to be in park to get the key out. He ignores me. After much brute strength, he rips the key out of the dash. I wait outside next to the van. There is a slight slope to the parking lot and of course the van begins to roll towards the glass front doors of the Enterprise office.

Now for my moral dilemma; do I let the van roll through the front glass doors of the Enterprise office :45: or make an effort to get in front of the van and try and stop it? :Angel_anim:

When the driver comes out of the office he sees me pushing on the van with most of my might to keep it from rolling any further.

I believe most of the damage to rental cars comes from the abuse and neglect from the rental car company employees.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You NEVER should buy a rental! Immature People beat the crap out of them and rental companies don't care because they sell them with relatively low miles.
FTFY.

Not everyone is a tool when it comes to rental cars. Having said that, its a pretty big risk to take buying something you know was a previous rental.

·
Registered
440 Posts
FTFY.

Not everyone is a tool when it comes to rental cars. Having said that, its a pretty big risk to take buying something you know was a previous rental.
I dont think maturatiy has anything to do with how one drives a vehicle in most cases when they are renting a car. I simply prefer to enjoy the rental car to the max when having one in my posession. :woot:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I dont think maturatiy has anything to do with how one drives a vehicle in most cases when they are renting a car. I simply prefer to enjoy the rental car to the max when having one in my posession. :woot:
Me neither, it was just the most politically correct word I could think of to describe an individual that would beat on something that isn't theirs :thumb2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My point with the differences between the first model year 07, and the 2012 is that virtually nothing has been upgraded or improved or revised on the Versa. Most cars usually go through some minor tweaks to the grill, headlights or tailights, but not the V. The car has been somewhat neglected by Nissan.

I didn't understand the "upgrade" to a higher tire inflation recommendation, as the Versa already has a terrible ride that is only made a little worse with more air in the tires. It is not like the Versa is a heavy car and needs a stiffer tire to carry the load. Maybe Nissan was trying to get a bit more fuel mileage out of a car that is below average in its class for gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts