Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
My point with the differences between the first model year 07, and the 2012 is that virtually nothing has been upgraded or improved or revised on the Versa. Most cars usually go through some minor tweaks to the grill, headlights or tailights, but not the V. The car has been somewhat neglected by Nissan.

I didn't understand the "upgrade" to a higher tire inflation recommendation, as the Versa already has a terrible ride that is only made a little worse with more air in the tires. It is not like the Versa is a heavy car and needs a stiffer tire to carry the load. Maybe Nissan was trying to get a bit more fuel mileage out of a car that is below average in its class for gas mileage.
The Versa is the least expensive new car in its class for that very reason. Even minor details cost the company money to design, produce, and get approved. New tail lights? You have to get designers, pre production, models, final production, and then get them approved by the DOT. That is assuming it is the exact same shape/dimensions as the old ones. You can't do any modifications without costing the company money and manpower....and on such a vehicle that produces negligible profit there is no logical reason to do such.

The lack of "updating" has kept the costs down and that is why people buy these vehicles.

As far as tire pressure it simply has to do with fuel mileage. Nothing more. I think that getting 38mpg on the interstate is very impressive

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
at the risk of high-jacking my own thread....

The Versa is the least expensive new car in its class for that very reason. Even minor details cost the company money to design, produce, and get approved. New tail lights? You have to get designers, pre production, models, final production, and then get them approved by the DOT. That is assuming it is the exact same shape/dimensions as the old ones. You can't do any modifications without costing the company money and manpower....and on such a vehicle that produces negligible profit there is no logical reason to do such.

The lack of "updating" has kept the costs down and that is why people buy these vehicles.

As far as tire pressure it simply has to do with fuel mileage. Nothing more. I think that getting 38mpg on the interstate is very impressive
I understand wanting to keep the costs down. Now for the basis of my opinion on this subject:

New Versa in 2007 for approx $14.5k
New Focus in 2011 for approx $15.2k

Very similar in price, especially considering the five year difference. Both sedans with a small four cylinder (1.8 and 2.0). Both have an old school four speed automatic. This is not the current generation of Focus.

Things my Focus has that my Versa doesn't:
Very nice factory rims. (Versa has steelies with hubcaps that fell off)
Spoiler.
Cruise control.
Nice console and armrest.
Satellite radio.
Infinitely nicer interior in the Focus. Night and day difference in comfort, fit and finish.
Quiet, rattle free ride. (The many rattles in the Versa started when the car was new and has only gotten worse).
Tinted windows (Versa has stark clear glass).
Fold down rear seats.
Trip computer with mpg, miles to empty, etc.

The Versa does have more rear seat leg room, but that is the only place it excels.

Biggest difference is the Focus consistently gets 20 -40 % better gas mileage than the Versa and has more get up and go. I have managed a few 30-31 mpg highway trips in the Versa, but have consistantly hit the high 30's to low 40's on highway trips in the Focus. The Focus is geared differently and turns way fewer rpms at highway speeds. Average city mileage is 24 (Versa) to 31 (Focus). All calculated fuel economy data tracked on a spreadsheet.

Even comparing my last generation Focus to the 2012 Versa I recently rented, all of the above still apply. Nissan has neglected the Versa. Considering the price point, my Focus is WAY more car than the Versa. Not trying to bash the Versa, I own one and will keep it as long as it provides reliable service.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I understand wanting to keep the costs down. Now for the basis of my opinion on this subject:

New Versa in 2007 for approx $14.5k
New Focus in 2011 for approx $15.2k

Very similar in price, especially considering the five year difference. Both sedans with a small four cylinder (1.8 and 2.0). Both have an old school four speed automatic. This is not the current generation of Focus.

Things my Focus has that my Versa doesn't:
Very nice factory rims. (Versa has steelies with hubcaps that fell off)
Spoiler.
Cruise control.
Nice console and armrest.
Satellite radio.
Infinitely nicer interior in the Focus. Night and day difference in comfort, fit and finish.
Quiet, rattle free ride. (The many rattles in the Versa started when the car was new and has only gotten worse).
Tinted windows (Versa has stark clear glass).
Fold down rear seats.
Trip computer with mpg, miles to empty, etc.

The Versa does have more rear seat leg room, but that is the only place it excels.

Biggest difference is the Focus consistently gets 20 -40 % better gas mileage than the Versa and has more get up and go. I have managed a few 30-31 mpg highway trips in the Versa, but have consistantly hit the high 30's to low 40's on highway trips in the Focus. The Focus is geared differently and turns way fewer rpms at highway speeds. Average city mileage is 24 (Versa) to 31 (Focus). All calculated fuel economy data tracked on a spreadsheet.

Even comparing my last generation Focus to the 2012 Versa I recently rented, all of the above still apply. Nissan has neglected the Versa. Considering the price point, my Focus is WAY more car than the Versa. Not trying to bash the Versa, I own one and will keep it as long as it provides reliable service.
Pretty sure the Versa and Focus are in different classes of vehicles. The Versa is an economy car. Plain and simple. Many people here choose to like it for what it is. The Focus isn't classed as an economy car though. The Focus you get for 15.2k isn't THAT far ahead of the Versa in creature comforts. Gotta compare apples to apples.

And I am by no means hating on the Focus (or Versa for that matter). I think the Focus is a great car. For my next small/commuter car (coming up soon as I am taking another job where instead of having a company vehicle provided I will have a car allowance) I will be looking at them for sure.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts