Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad recently purchased a apple desktop, and mac book pro. I also bought an ipod 4th gen. I am very into apple now, and absolutely love them. I want to learn more and more of them. My question is I have an almost 2yr hp desktop, with AMD quad 4, 8GB, windows 7. Very nice desktop. But as we all know, windows sucks!! lol. Can I load a Mac OS onto my HP? I see Macs use intel's, but I didn't know if it could still be done. I just don't wanna spend the money on a Mac just yet, knowing this HP is still fairly new. Thanks

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
You can add the mac software and operating onto a PC my brother did it before. Obviously it was not as fast and did not have the exact same options. So, He afterwards just bought a Mac. I have all apple products. An ipad2, MacBook, iPhone and iPod (which I just sold because I wasn't using it with my iPhone). I know I'll never buy PC again. Enjoy your new Mac products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've done it before with an HP netbook but it's very time consuming, difficult to to do, buggy, and not that great for an everyday computer. I like it, because I love having an ongoing project that actually has a function (sort of like people who mod their cars actually...) but to a normal person it would be tricky. Plus it all comes down to supported hardware and drivers. Since your machine is AMD it makes things a lot trickier (though a lot less tricky now than it used to be.) The furthest along I was able to get with the install on my AMD PC was to a version that worked, but barely. No sound, no graphics, no higher resolutions over 640x480, etc. Just stick it out, that sounds like a pretty good machine, and save your money. When having only a desktop becomes too inconvenient then pick up a mac laptop. Or, you could always pick up an iPad.

The most important question is this:
What kind of things do you do on your computer?

If you do decide to go the hackintosh route (that is the word you should be googling btw) then make sure to pick up another internal hard disk (small cheap one is fine) and pop it into your machine to work with. Makes life so much easier to just swap a sata cable or a setting in the BIOs to have to go back if things don't work than it is to have to reinstall windows or deal with partitioning.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes this can be done but as has been pointed out will be tricky with an AMD processor vs Intel and there will be many limitations. I've OSX running within a Virtual Machine actually running it in VM Ware on a quad core Intel chip. Yet another option as Ben_B pointed out is to install an extra hard drive or partition the one you have and install Max OS from there, again though you'll have driver issues. One other option open to you is to create a Mac Clone from scratch, you'll get all the speed and power of a Mac without the overly inflated prices they charge for what is under the hood.. just a PC. Having said this keep in mind license issues and yet more possible issues with updates.

If funds are tight have you thought about a mac-mini to get you on your feet? Fairly cheap (for a mac) and you should be able to use your monitor keyboard/mouse with it. Invest a few $ in a KVM and you'll be ready to go with both machines side by side. Sell your PC (if you dont game at all) and buy a good used Mac is another option should you plan to fully jump off the Windows boat and board the Mac.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What I had for awhile was a very fast PC tower that I built for quite cheaply and then a slower mac laptop. Now I have a top end mac laptop but for gaming and really heavy 3D rendering type stuff my PC with its better graphics card is still on top. Basically I think PC tower and mac laptop is a good combination.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys alot!!! This answered alot of my questions. Yeah, I seem to have enough problems with windows 7, but loading mac software sounds more of a headache. I don't play alot of games, but wanted a nicer, faster computer at the time, and for $800 with a 23" monitor I was hooked on it. I make like home made DVD's from trips and stuff, and it can wear down my PC. It's still a fast and great machine, but using the technology between ipod, mac, and pc is just so amazing, and would love to fully convert. About twice a week my computer shows up with this blue screen stating a graphics issue. got to turn it off, start it up, It's just annoying. I have a dell notebook with vista on it that I got in 2007, so maybe ill buy a mac book pro and keep my desktop. Thanks again you guys, and I can't wait to buy a mac pro. ;)

But just of curiosity, if I would to change my mother board and processor to Intel, could it be done alot easier?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks guys alot!!! This answered alot of my questions. Yeah, I seem to have enough problems with windows 7, but loading mac software sounds more of a headache. I don't play alot of games, but wanted a nicer, faster computer at the time, and for $800 with a 23" monitor I was hooked on it. I make like home made DVD's from trips and stuff, and it can wear down my PC. It's still a fast and great machine, but using the technology between ipod, mac, and pc is just so amazing, and would love to fully convert. About twice a week my computer shows up with this blue screen stating a graphics issue. got to turn it off, start it up, It's just annoying. I have a dell notebook with vista on it that I got in 2007, so maybe ill buy a mac book pro and keep my desktop. Thanks again you guys, and I can't wait to buy a mac pro. ;)

But just of curiosity, if I would to change my mother board and processor to Intel, could it be done alot easier?
How often do you defragment your computer, run virus scans other than what’s installed. How often do you update your drivers? Do you apply antivirus and/or windows updates regularly? Regular maintenance can help prevent a whole host of issues from cropping up. The BSOD or Blue Screen of Death could very well be a driver issue and if its graphics related then it’s fair to assume an updated driver might correct that issue.

What type of graphics card do you have? If you’re unsure press and hold Windows key (on your keyboard) then press R once. In the “Run” dialogue type “dxdiag” without the quotes then hit ok. Click on the Display Tab and it’ll list the name/model number there. My advice if that’s the only issues you’re having then search for and download new drivers for your graphics card. Uninstall the old drivers, restart then install the new driver software you should be good to go again. If you haven’t run any maintenance I’d suggest doing that as well and remove any old programs you don’t need anymore, empty the recycle bin, clear the cache etc.

Another option is to reinstall Windows 7, a fresh install many times will clear things up nicely and get things running like new again. If you want to speed things up a bit adding additional RAM will help and it’s quite cheap. If you’re doing a lot of video editing or processing a more powerful graphics card will also help.

Switching your MB and CPU over to Intel might help run OSX but keep in mind it’ll take quite a bit of work to get it right plus you’ll most likely be running software not licensed by Apple which means updates may be an issue as is the threat of being shut down by Apple.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can also try Linux.

I have a dual boot on my laptop, I use Ubuntu for the most part, unless its something absolutely needed for Windows 7.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How often do you defragment your computer, run virus scans other than what’s installed. How often do you update your drivers? Do you apply antivirus and/or windows updates regularly? Regular maintenance can help prevent a whole host of issues from cropping up. The BSOD or Blue Screen of Death could very well be a driver issue and if its graphics related then it’s fair to assume an updated driver might correct that issue.

What type of graphics card do you have? If you’re unsure press and hold Windows key (on your keyboard) then press R once. In the “Run” dialogue type “dxdiag” without the quotes then hit ok. Click on the Display Tab and it’ll list the name/model number there. My advice if that’s the only issues you’re having then search for and download new drivers for your graphics card. Uninstall the old drivers, restart then install the new driver software you should be good to go again. If you haven’t run any maintenance I’d suggest doing that as well and remove any old programs you don’t need anymore, empty the recycle bin, clear the cache etc.

Another option is to reinstall Windows 7, a fresh install many times will clear things up nicely and get things running like new again. If you want to speed things up a bit adding additional RAM will help and it’s quite cheap. If you’re doing a lot of video editing or processing a more powerful graphics card will also help.

Switching your MB and CPU over to Intel might help run OSX but keep in mind it’ll take quite a bit of work to get it right plus you’ll most likely be running software not licensed by Apple which means updates may be an issue as is the threat of being shut down by Apple.
Thanks Alot.

I normally keep up with the Maintenance of my PC pretty well. Im always getting rid of unwanted programs, music, pics, files, etc, just to keep it clean. I also have norton 360, and it does system scans all the time, cleans my hard drive, and the whole nine yards. My graphics card came with my desktop, it is ATI Radeon HD 3200. The computer's fast enough, and would cost me about $200 just to get 10GB of memory cause of the speed and I already have 8GB on a 64-bit system, and to me it's not worth the price. It's just making those DVD's sucks the power out of the computer, but I know the mac can handle it. But for now on, maybe Ill just use the mac. I believe I tried updating the display driver, I think it works better, but it still happens. I will try and look for newer updates, but will try the reinstall of windows when I get the moment, thanks for your time.

I have built computers before, so I know what Im doing, but I am not a pro, and have been self taught. The computer I built has no problems what so ever, and is running XP 32-bit. I use that when my HP is being a bad boy, lol. It always seems to be problems with store bought computers.

While we are on the subject. My dad bought my mom the same exact HP PC I am talking about, and I have talked to HP numerous times, and can't figure it out. Mine doesn't do it. What happens is, out of the blue, it puts the monitor to sleep, and when you wiggle the mouse, the monitor turns blue, the tower light stays blue (normal color), but no response, but you can hear it running. I push the power button on tower, and it attempts to turn off, but immediately comes back on and still does nothing. Basically non responsive. I have to unplug it, and wait about 10 sec, plug it back in, and it's fine. Would you know whats going on? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why don't you put the monitor on the pc with no problems and see what happens when it goes to "sleep", to me it sounds more like your monitor its having problems

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why don't you put the monitor on the pc with no problems and see what happens when it goes to "sleep", to me it sounds more like your monitor its having problems
When I push and hold the tower power button, it should turn off like normal. But "if" and "when" it goes into this weird mode, when I press and hold the power button on the tower, you can hear the fans slow down, but then less then one second later it returns back to where it was, and the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. Plus the monitor was already replaced due to a bad pixel from HP, and this tower was doing this to both the monitors. It's the tower, but can't figure out what's going on with it. Other then that. My HP desktop is fine expect for the blue screen. But hers has that weird thing going on.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Slightly off topix

Anybody noticed the new Microsoft retail stores they have in the malls? They're trying too hard to be Apple's alter ego! Why couldnt Microsoft be called orange. Apples to oranges...

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I push and hold the tower power button, it should turn off like normal. But "if" and "when" it goes into this weird mode, when I press and hold the power button on the tower, you can hear the fans slow down, but then less then one second later it returns back to where it was, and the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. Plus the monitor was already replaced due to a bad pixel from HP, and this tower was doing this to both the monitors. It's the tower, but can't figure out what's going on with it. Other then that. My HP desktop is fine expect for the blue screen. But hers has that weird thing going on.
You may want to go to control panel and check the Power Options. Compaire the options selected between both machines. If you have 8GB I think you're well covered in the RAM dept lol. Fresh install of Windows 7 often helps clear things out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Slightly off topix

Anybody noticed the new Microsoft retail stores they have in the malls? They're trying too hard to be Apple's alter ego! Why couldnt Microsoft be called orange. Apples to oranges...
I haven't seen them yet but I'd never pay retail if it can be helped for anything Microsoft. As a registered MS student still.. I've managed to get OS's and Office products dirt cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may want to go to control panel and check the Power Options. Compaire the options selected between both machines. If you have 8GB I think you're well covered in the RAM dept lol. Fresh install of Windows 7 often helps clear things out.
Yeah go power options and see what option you have on the power off button the tower, like on my laptop i put whenever i press the power button to turn off, but you can put it to sleep or hibernate i guess, but maybe yeah u may need to reinstall windows, just make a backup of important files and that should be it

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a feeling that was what I was gonna have to do. It's a pain in the ass/ time eater to do that, lol. But thanks for your time. Ill have to deicate one of my days off to do that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a feeling that was what I was gonna have to do. It's a pain in the ass/ time eater to do that, lol. But thanks for your time. Ill have to deicate one of my days off to do that.
It is a terrible pain in the arse and I hate to have to do it myself. I think you said your machine was a HP? Use the system recovery disk (you may need to make one there's a program already installed for it) and the re-imaging will take some of the pain of it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
two tests you can run are a memory diagnostic and a hard drive diagnostic test, those are two tests i always run on computers that have BSOD (blue screen of death) which can rule out if you have failing parts in your machine that can be causing your errors.

first download memtest 4.20
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

and then download SeaTools for Dos
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

then use IMGburn to burn those ISO files to a blank cd
http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

make sure your computer is off, then power it on and press F9 to choose what media you'd like to boot from, in this case from CD, so choose your CD/DVD-ROM

for memtest make sure to run the whole test untill you see at the bottom it says the test passed without any errors (you will see on the screen that it will go through a series of test from 1-8)

If this test passes continue to the hard drive test using SeaTools, with the same procedure to boot from CD.

If this test however does not pass, open up your case and remove all RAM/Memory and test each stick individually till you find out which stick is defective.

Now for seatools make sure to run the long test not the short test, as that test will be very quick and wont scan your hard drive thoroughly.

If your hard drive fails and your computer is under a year old you can ship it to HP for repair.

If both those tests pass backup your important data (documents, pictures, music, movies etc..) and yes as aidan80 said reinstall windows using your recovery discs or start up your machine and tap the F11 key to trigger your HP recovery partition to reinstall your system back to its factory condition.

·
Registered
144 Posts
two tests you can run are a memory diagnostic and a hard drive diagnostic test, those are two tests i always run on computers that have BSOD (blue screen of death) which can rule out if you have failing parts in your machine that can be causing your errors.

first download memtest 4.20
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

and then download SeaTools for Dos
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

then use IMGburn to burn those ISO files to a blank cd
Download ImgBurn for free - Fileforum

make sure your computer is off, then power it on and press F9 to choose what media you'd like to boot from, in this case from CD, so choose your CD/DVD-ROM

for memtest make sure to run the whole test untill you see at the bottom it says the test passed without any errors (you will see on the screen that it will go through a series of test from 1-8)

If this test passes continue to the hard drive test using SeaTools, with the same procedure to boot from CD.

If this test however does not pass, open up your case and remove all RAM/Memory and test each stick individually till you find out which stick is defective.

Now for seatools make sure to run the long test not the short test, as that test will be very quick and wont scan your hard drive thoroughly.

If your hard drive fails and your computer is under a year old you can ship it to HP for repair.

If both those tests pass backup your important data (documents, pictures, music, movies etc..) and yes as aidan80 said reinstall windows using your recovery discs or start up your machine and tap the F11 key to trigger your HP recovery partition to reinstall your system back to its factory condition.
His BSOD error was related to the video subsystem and he didn't present anything to indicate a memory error or disk failure. That isn't to say running memtest wouldn't help but at this point may just be a time waster. In my professional opinion I'd want to explore the video related error and why it's giving the BSOD and correct it. If saving time is priority which it is for a lot of users reimaging the machine is the easiest way to correct many issues.

It is as has been stated always wise to backup your profile and drop it on a network share or external hard drive with sufficient space before doing anything that may compromise data on your machine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
well its always nice to test other areas as well to see if other areas could be causing issues. i wonder if he has onboard video or not, maybe it could be his video card? or even a driver related issue if you said it was video related

1 - 20 of 24 Posts