Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2009 Versa SL 1.8L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I started experiencing issues with the front wipers on my 09 Versa where they sometimes stall mid wipe and after a short time continue. Sometimes they don't park in the right spot at the base of the windshield, or instead of wiping once on a mist command they wipe several times. They also occasionally keep wiping on low speed regardless of what position I set the switch at.

Having read through some older posts I see the IPDM has been the cause of wiper problems for some people in the past. I've also read the service manual to get an idea of the system operation. I see there's a Consult-3 software required to troubleshoot the system functions. Now as much as I love poking around with test lights and a volt meter so not to swap parts blind, I've come to loathe working in winter conditions while I don't have indoor facilities at my disposal and want to fix this quick before I end up on the highway again with stalled wipers.

A couple of questions:

1) IPDM - Is it a good bet in this case to assume it's the IPDM taking a dump and not a CAN BUS or BCM issue, considering everything else works fine (Headlights, signals, rear wiper and washer, etc)? I haven't tried the IPDM test yet that I've seen on YouTube where you press the door switch 10x to initiate a diagnostic but I haven't noticed any other issues.
2) IPDM Replacement - If I replace the IPDM, is there any programming required for the BCM to be able to communicate with the new IPDM?
3) Consult-3 - I see the Consult-3 software available on Ebay. Is it worth getting? Anything to look out for or otherwise know before buying, like is there anything only available to dealers?

Thanks!
Rob

· Registered
339 Posts
Rob- I can't answer anything but your last question. An actual CONSULT 3 diagnostic unit costs in the range of $15-20K and are only really used by Nissan dealers. Other Consult units are in name only, so don't expect anything more than a budget code reader. I don't like working on cars in sub-zero temps either, so I usually bite the bullet and either take it to a dealer, or a certified Nissan tech working on the side to figure out a repair like this.

· Registered
2009 Versa SL 1.8L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually bite the bullet and either take it to a dealer, or a certified Nissan tech working on the side to figure out a repair like this.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm trying to avoid. I don't mind doing stuff where I can get in and out quick like swapping the IPDM in the cold as it seems straight forward enough, I'm just not interested in getting deep into poking and prodding wiring harnesses and all that can get involved with that in the cold. I'll make sure to do some basic checks to see if a connector shows evidence of a bad connection like havning a case of the greenies and try some simple cleaning first, but that's it. Right now I need to know if the IPDM is a straight swap or if anything needs to be reprogrammed to make a new one work.

· Registered
2009 Versa SL 1.8L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, has anyone swapped an IPDM and can tell me if it's a straight swap or if anything has to be done by a dealer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts