Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 versa/tiida/latio stutters at 3000 rpm. The check engine light been on for a long time with the code p0420 for cat or 02 sensor but these new issue is recent. I need help to troubleshoot this issue please. Here is a link to my video on YouTube Nissan wont rev pass 3000 rpm

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you've had a p0420 for a while, I'd suspect your exhaust is clogged. I imagine you had a misfire at one point that ruined the convertor, and now it's fallen apart and restricting the exhaust.

Easy way to test this theory is to disconnect that front pipe from the manifold and see if you can rev ok. If you can, it's plugged. Warning, it's super loud like this. Way louder than you might think.

You could put a pressure gauge in one of the o2 sensor holes and you shouldn't have more than like 1.5psi with 2k rpms in park.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Your cat is plugged and needs to be replaced.
When you do replace it, DO NOT go with the cheapest one. Make sure the cat is OBD II compliant, or you will run into a bunch of problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2011 versa/tiida/latio stutters at 3000 rpm. The check engine light been on for a long time with the code p0420 for cat or 02 sensor but these new issue is recent. I need help to troubleshoot this issue please. Here is a link to my video on YouTube Nissan wont rev pass 3000 rpm
Is P0420 the only code or is there another one hiding behind it?

My Versa was throwing a P0420 code I'd been ignoring for a good while, and then one day it did what you describe - went into limp mode and wouldn't rev above 3,000rpm.

Pulled it over and checked the codes again - turns out there was a second code, P0171, hiding behind the other code.

My solution was to clean the mass airflow sensor. The P0171 code went away and I haven't had the "limp mode" issue since. However the P0420 code has come back. I suspect those two codes might be related.

·
Registered
322 Posts
P0171 could be the cause of a P0420, if it was a lean enough condition to cause misfires. They don't necessarily appear together though. In any case, a p0420 is nearly always a convertor death code. I can't remember it ever actually being the rear o2 sensor. Live scan data could easily confirm this, but not necessarily in this case, which is why these tests will help.

The video really looks like a clogged exhaust. That's not really the same as limp mode. A limp mode is something commanded by the ecm or tcm, while this (allegedly) is a condition where the engine just can't breathe, so the rpms are just naturally limited with no more air intake.

You could even pull the a/f sensor out of the manifold and might see a running difference, with the engine able to breath a little better. Somtimes it can be harder to tell with the technique than just loosening or disconnecting that front pipe underneath where it connects to the manifold.

It could also be a massive intake restriction, like a rag stuck in the intake ducting.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Had a Caddy that had the same code. Let it go for a bit, and finally bogged down.
Looked underneath, and that converter was glowing....somewhere between white and red!

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've had a p0420 for a while, I'd suspect your exhaust is clogged. I imagine you had a misfire at one point that ruined the convertor, and now it's fallen apart and restricting the exhaust.

Easy way to test this theory is to disconnect that front pipe from the manifold and see if you can rev ok. If you can, it's plugged. Warning, it's super loud like this. Way louder than you might think.

You could put a pressure gauge in one of the o2 sensor holes and you shouldn't have more than like 1.5psi with 2k rpms in park.

I don't think the cat is blocked, I took it off and there's a big hole in the honeycomb all the way through it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your cat is plugged and needs to be replaced.
When you do replace it, DO NOT go with the cheapest one. Make sure the cat is OBD II compliant, or you will run into a bunch of problems.
I took the whole cat off and pressed on the gas and it's still did the same thing... just ten times louder

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is P0420 the only code or is there another one hiding behind it?

My Versa was throwing a P0420 code I'd been ignoring for a good while, and then one day it did what you describe - went into limp mode and wouldn't rev above 3,000rpm.

Pulled it over and checked the codes again - turns out there was a second code, P0171, hiding behind the other code.

My solution was to clean the mass airflow sensor. The P0171 code went away and I haven't had the "limp mode" issue since. However the P0420 code has come back. I suspect those two codes might be related.
I had cleaned the maf with contact cleaner and it still does the same thing. I also forgot to mention than when I reset the codes with an obd the car operates normally then the next day its start stuttering again. I've reset it that way a few times and the car behaves normal until the next day

·
Registered
322 Posts
It is restricted somewhere. Check your intake ducting for blockage.

Did you disconnect the front pipe from the manifold? That hole, where the stuff used to be could be in the muffler now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is restricted somewhere. Check your intake ducting for blockage.

Did you disconnect the front pipe from the manifold? That hole, where the stuff used to be could be in the muffler now.

I took the cat off and stepped on the gas and it still did the same thing

·
Registered
322 Posts
I missed the part where you clear the codes and it runs ok. I'd want to see the long and short term fuel trims, warmed up, at idle, and held at 2500rpms.

·
Registered
322 Posts
P0171 could be anything that causes it to be lean. Vacuum, fuel pump, a/f sensor, rag in the intake.

The next step here, which is often one if the first steps, is to get that fuel trim data. You need to know what the a/f sensor is reporting to the ecm. It's easy once you have a scantool that can do it ($15).

I'd also want to see if there are any codes in the tcm. I Said it's a restriction because of how it sounds and known converter damage, and you saying there only one code, but if that's a limp mode, then there has to be another code in a module.

A p0420 alone will not do this. There has to be more to it. The 420 is only there because of that hole you mentioned in the honeycomb in the cat. It's shot.

How may miles are on the car? What caused the convertor damage? Did you fill up with diesel or run it with a misfire/engine light flashing at one point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P0171 could be anything that causes it to be lean. Vacuum, fuel pump, a/f sensor, rag in the intake.

The next step here, which is often one if the first steps, is to get that fuel trim data. You need to know what the a/f sensor is reporting to the ecm. It's easy once you have a scantool that can do it ($15).

I'd also want to see if there are any codes in the tcm. I Said it's a restriction because of how it sounds and known converter damage, and you saying there only one code, but if that's a limp mode, then there has to be another code in a module.

A p0420 alone will not do this. There has to be more to it. The 420 is only there because of that hole you mentioned in the honeycomb in the cat. It's shot.

How may miles are on the car? What caused the convertor damage? Did you fill up with diesel or run it with a misfire/engine light flashing at one point?

About 114k miles on it, I bought the car about 7 months ago with the check engine light on. The said is was an 02 sense needed replacement about a month ago the issue started so I figured it was the cat that went bad, i was thinking the cat was clogged up so I was thinking if I took the cat off and rev the issue would stop but it didnt then i looked in the cat and saw a hole in the honeycomb, looked like someone dug out a hole with a flathead screwdriver. Never filled it up with diesel. Every once in a while the car will feel like it carrying a heavy load like loss of power in acceleration nut fixes itself in a couple mins

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed my Nissan latio 2009 computer box and had it reprogrammed. Afterwards I started the car but it would not rev past 2800 revpm. It's top speed only gets to 40 km/hr. I'm not sure what's wrong.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Tevinxl - you need to get fuel trim data with a scan tool.

Xavier - what was the reason for changing the ecm? They don't often go bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts