Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm 57 and have owned 2 Yaris sedan's since 2007 (one a 07 and the other an 09).

I have a favor to ask (just joined the forums today) and that is your advice if you wouldn't mind.

I have 3 sons - one is 23 and has his own car- a Mazda2.

The other 2 are 21 and 18 and neither have a car.

I was thinking of turning the 2 yaris's over to them ( the 09 has 54000 and the 07 has 85,000 ). Both are running well and are getting an avg of 36 mpg blended.

I got laid off from work about 5 months agao and would have to take out a 60 month loan for a car for the wife and 1 for me. I am considering two Nissan Versa S Sedans w/ auto (has to be auto) and I was quoted 13,678 for 1 with only mats as an option.

How are they as far as reliability goes..I have slowed down quite a bit and do not mind a smaller sedan at all...I am considering the following as alternates to the Versa S Sedan...another 2 Yaris's (The L basic HB model for 15,100), a Mazda 2 HB base model (because of the 60 months at 0% APR right now) and possibly going to look at the Hyundai Accent....

Any help would be much appreciated! thanks everyone!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a little fyi... Consumer reports has rated the Versa Hatch back as a good buy a.k.a good bet. Meaning if you need a car right away and need something reliable it would be a good buy. But if you are looking for lower monthly payments, the sedan is a good way to go. And from what I have heard, the sedan is a good car.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
aside from basic stuff i haven't had problems with my car. would you be getting a 2012 versa?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I havent had any major problems with mine (09 sedan) and love it

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm driving around a 2012 Versa SV sedan this week, and it's actually a decent little sedan. Very roomy inside, and the trunk is huge.

I still love my hatchback more and can't wait to get home to drive my own vehicle again. They are decent little cars, only issues I've had to get repaired under warranty was the FPR (twice). Other than that, no real complaints. Love the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My brother owns a 2010 Yaris and he does not like driving my versa, but I am the same way about his yaris. The are a few things that are different. His is a 2 door with traction control. It is very helpful if you drive in any snow. We have tried several times to get it to spin out on snowy roads and it will not. My 2011 S hatchback does not have traction control, but I do have more space in the back seat with mine being a 4 door. If you are going to have passengers often you might want the Versa. The Yaris is a lighter car with a smaller engine 1.6L. The Versa is a heaver car with a bigger engine 1.8L. I think that my brother averages around 36 mpg and I average around 32 mpg. Most of this you probably know with owning 2 Yaris, but I wanted to compare a few of the differences between the two. I have only had mine to the dealer for 2 repairs under warranty. The wrong gas cap from the factory and a seat repair. I think that both cars are great. It just comes down to which one you feel more comfortable in, and which one you can get a better deal on.

Also stay away from Hyundai if you plan on keeping it for longer than 100,000 miles. Most of the parts start to fail after 100k.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The Yaris is a lighter car with a smaller engine 1.6L. The Versa is a heaver car with a bigger engine 1.8L. I think that my brother averages around 36 mpg and I average around 32 mpg.
He is looking at the 2012 sedan which is has the 1.6L engine. I've been driving one around all week, and have gotten way better fuel economy than my 1.8L cvt hatch. I know my rims, and roof racks are contributing to my lower mileage, but the 12 sedan isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
mazda2 crap for headroom and overall roominess for me. i like the yarii but idk anything about the new one. sentra and versa treated me very well, and outstanding roominess and um versatility:D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Id take Versa over Yaris anyday. I am 6,2 and the yaris isnt even an option for me, let alone the corolla isnt but about an 1" bigger, lol. The versa is huge and great for its price and size. There is no other car in its class like the Versa, dont believe me, see for yourself, :) You get ALOT for the price of the Versa, ALOT!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You all for the input...I have 2 follow up questions if anyone can help...

Is 13,698 for a new 12 Nissan Versa S Sedan with only splash guards and mats for options high? The only other charges would be NY 8.25% tax and DMV charges...Since that was the dealer's first offer (over an internet quote) I feel I can drive it much lower...

Also on the issue of Auto what is the CVT? vs Auto Trans? Thanks everyone I really appreciate it since we are looking at 2 of them....-Dan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thank You all for the input...I have 2 follow up questions if anyone can help...

Is 13,698 for a new 12 Nissan Versa S Sedan with only splash guards and mats for options high? The only other charges would be NY 8.25% tax and DMV charges...Since that was the dealer's first offer (over an internet quote) I feel I can drive it much lower...

Also on the issue of Auto what is the CVT? vs Auto Trans? Thanks everyone I really appreciate it since we are looking at 2 of them....-Dan
Do you hate hatchbacks? I think the HB will carry a better resale considering the sedan isn't really a Versa. It's a Micra rebadged as a Versa. The HB is more powerful and better looking. Get the S HB. Shouldn't be much more than the sedan. Maybe but rental agencies use Versas in their fleet. If you can find a Nissan Factory Program HB, that's an option. They are loaded and have 20,000 mi. average. I have one and it works well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am the proud owner of a 2012 Versa Sedan. It has exceded all of my expectations. I am VERY hard on a car. The Versa is comfortable, reliable, economical, and fun to drive. I have taken it to Toronto in very bad weather and the car handled like a charm. The car seems to be made with the CVT in mind. I love the CVT. Great power when I need it. Great mileage when you need it.

The sedan comes standard with traction control. It works very well. The driving experience is very european. I.E. it is more like a Volkswagen Jetta than your Yaris. Seems to give you lots of road feel, but no harshness.

I love my car and I look forward to a long relationship with it. Good luck. Buy the sedan. You will have no regets.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The CVT is super smooth, and you never feel it shifting through the gears.
I don't even know if a regular 4sp auto is available in the 12 sedan.

I personally would never buy a previous daily rental. Rental cars take a shit load of abuse.
The price of $12K for a new car is very low, might as well just buy new at 0% through Nissan and enjoy the new car with the warranty :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check out edmunds.com. It will tell you what you should be paying.Dealers cane play with numbers to make things work. Everytime I buy a car from moder nissan they normally do about 2.5% for taxes, and state is 7.25. $13,698 is right at invoice, thats prolly the best deal your gonna get. You might be able to get away with $13K for each. The invoice for an S hatchback is $14,700, you might be able to do 14K or 14,500. The hatch has a 4spd auto, and is standard with PL, PW, PM. Its up to you. In about a 1yr or 2, the Sedan will be offering rebates im sure, but not right now. The hatch is having a redeisgn next ear, so you may be able to get a good deal. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like my hatch, plenty of room. last week I bought a futon

I got 37MPG out of my last tank, but 75% was highway. at 106,000 miles I had to replace the battery. no big problems yet.

the 2012 Versa sedan starts at 10,990.00
Test drive as many cars as possible and buy the one you like

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The CVT is smooth, but takes out the fun in driving compared to manual or even a traditional automatic tranny. Comparing the sedan to the hatchback is night and day difference when using it for extra storage. I would get the hatchback since it's more practical for being utilitarian. The problem with the hatchback, is when the seats are folded down, they're not flush with the floor of the trunk area, which can be annoying to some people, especially if they want to haul or carry long objects and items.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.